• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I Am Calling Out Those That Call Al Horford anything other than BOSS

bumpyphish1

7 minutes ago, Jody23 said:

This was basically the same logic behind why Joe got the max contract and we saw where that got the Hawks.  How will it get the Hawks closer to a title if they max Horford?

If Horford and the Hawks once again make it to the ECF and are actually competitive in the series to the point that they could get to the finals, then I think it would be dumb not to resign him.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

If Horford and the Hawks once again make it to the ECF and are actually competitive in the series to the point that they could get to the finals, then I think it would be dumb not to resign him.

And if not?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jody23 said:

And if not?

I'd still resign him. And look, I understand how you think this parallels the Joe situation but the key difference between both is that Al's team is much closer to the title than Joe's. And even if we didn't resign Joe that offseason, we probably would've been able to make the playoffs considering how weak the east was at that time.  

So....

For those who want to max Al, what do we do to upgrade the team after that?

For those who do NOT want to max Al, who should we spend the money on to at least maintain our current standing or improve? (And no Durant's not an option)

9 minutes ago, ATLHawks3 said:

I'd still resign him. And look, I understand how you think this parallels the Joe situation but the key difference between both is that Al's team is much closer to the title than Joe's. And even if we didn't resign Joe that offseason, we probably would've been able to make the playoffs considering how weak the east was at that time.  

I dont think this team is that much closer to a title than the joe johnson hawks. Our performance in the playoffs was pretty joe johnson hawks esque. We struggled against mediocre 30 and  40 win teams and showed that we didnt belong on the ECF stage against elite competition. 

Our performance against the cavs mirrored  the joe johnson hawks whenever we faced a top tier team in the playoffs. Swept and blown out in embarrassing fashion.

• Like 2

If ATL resigns Al Horford, it locks themselves into being Memphis East where their ceiling is being a tough out in the playoffs, mainly the second round, period.

Unless you find cap room to bring in another significant player, preferably on the wing.

I'll actually go ahead and say it, next offseason would be the time to try to get that young wing player that you think can be a significant piece in the future by either using a trade to move up in the draft or trading for a player. Grayson Allen or Denzel Valentine?

If you resign Al Horford, you lock yourself into being Memphis East with pretty close to zero chance at a title. Let me ask...

1. If you resign Al Horford, what do you do to improve this team into being a legit contender as it isn't now and it will never be with him as a featured player? No, trying to trade for KCP is not the answer to this.

2. If you don't resign Al Horford then who is your replacement at C? Again, what do you do to try to become a legit contender?

Again, the idea that Horford getting hurt was the main reason for 13/14 being a sucky season can be thrown out the window if you really delve into the things of that season. The real problem was everyone else getting hurt for periods of time and a rookie coach. What I feel now is both 13/14 and 14/15 are outliers and the truth is somewhere in between. The reality is while this team is better than JJ's Hawks, it's not that much better. It's upside with Horford and Millsap as featured players is 48-53 wins and being a tough out in the playoffs.

Are we willing to accept this? Y/N

What was the likelyhood of Utah resigning Stockton and Malone and not going after Jordan and winning the title? Some teams just get lucky aquiring a prime player of the decenium. Other teams get lucky beating one of those teams in the finals once in a while. We are in the position of the latter and its a damn fun ride at that if you ask me.

But go ahead, play fantasy GM and dream of being Philly, Boston, Minnessota etc.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Lurker said:

Since I can't edit that, it was actually 20, but even then, only three plays at the most were ran for Horford to go inside and maybe two max were pnr as far as I can tell.

I was referring to the play after the timeout at the END of the game where they ran inside. I didnt see the whole game, so, i assumed bud was doing it all game. my bad.

• Premium Member

If we can get a guy like Durant there is no reason to keep Horford. If Horford is our best FA option we probably have to do it. 

At some point we need to trade some of our depth and draft picks for actual talent (and be successful with it). If we do keep Horford, I think it ends the Teague and Schröder combo. One will have to go to upgrade the SF position. 

6 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Horford needs to be kept and after giving Sap the deal we gave him, it's hard to not give Horford the same...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well a 2+1 is a lot more tolerable than a 5 year deal.  That was my biggest gripe with the Joe deal, the length rather than the money.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Hawkmoor said:

I was referring to the play after the timeout at the END of the game where they ran inside. I didnt see the whole game, so, i assumed bud was doing it all game. my bad.

I don't know if that was the play call but Houston switched the PnR so Al had a smaller defender on him so he made his move to the basket.

17 hours ago, hazer said:
10 hours ago, NBASupes said:

We gonna suck 

Not necessarily. Remember how everyone thought we were gonna suck when Horford had a season ending injury in 2012?
Hawks were 7-4 with him,  and 33-22 without him ,-  40 -26 overall- 3rd in the East.  And that was with Larry Drew.
The reason they didn't have a huge drop off is because nothing much really changed on offense. 
When he was out, it wasn't  like we lost a great post game, or a guy that commands double teams, or creates his on shots.
Zaza did Similar things on offense.  Hits open jumpers. decent passer, decent rebounder .
That' year
Horford  -12.4 ppg - 7.0 rpg - 2.2apg  - 55.3 fg%  -  31.6 mpg
Zaza   -   8.7ppg -  8.8 rpg  - 1.5apg  -  51.2fg% - 31.8 mpg (as a starter)
I'm not saying Zaza is as good as Horford. Not at all.
But, why spend 20+ million a year for what  Horford does,  when you could spend that money on another postion ,  and  also possibly find someone with a similar 
skill set to Horford  for a cheaper price?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NBASupes said:
23 hours ago, hazer said:
1 hour ago, NBASupes said:

Dude made a comparison on raw stats to Zaza who we all know is just anot average role player to an elite Al Horford.  This board is litter with low BBIQ posters.

So you just result to insults and instead when people don't love a player as much as you do. We definitely need more posters like you.
i clearly said that Zaza and Horford were not on the same level. But we did plug Zaza in Horford's spot and kept winning.
If Horford is so Elite why did't the Hawks play suffer without him? Why didn't we have to tank since we lost the mordarn Karl Malone.

Edited by pimp
  • Like 2

• Premium Member
On 31/12/2015 at 0:35 PM, Jody23 said:

Horford is being seriously overvalued by some here.  He's a good player, but in no way is he leading you to title contention.  He's not even the best player on the team, yet maxing him would make him the highest paid player while further restricting the Hawks ability to get the kind of talent that can get them on that level.  I really like Horf, but did we learn nothing from Joe Johnson?  This may be the downside of losing Ferry.  His plan of maintaining flexibility until you can get a title contending team may be out the window because of the 60 win season.

Yes, the Joe Johnson signing set this team back a decade. All those All NBA players that were lining up outside of Phillips arena waiting for their max contract offer from the Hawks had to flock elsewhere. If we hadn't signed Joe we could have made a run at Dewayne Wade and Lebron James, two MUCH better options (and only better options) than Joe in 2010. Not only did we not get Wade or Bron but  we also had to miss out on offering huge deals to such talents as David West and Derron Williams in 2011, and 2012, and instead had to suffer through two All star seasons from Joe and back to back top four finishes in the conference.  Then we traded Joe away and got MIllsap and Korver with the capspace, another massive whiff since neither of those guys is a guy that can single-handedly carry a team to a championship. Yes the repercussions from that contract were catastrophic indeed.  We fans can only ask ourselves when will the front office see the light and stop giving contracts to the best players available and instead hold out for hypothetical better players who may or may not become available or who may or may not have any interest whatsoever to play for us. 

28 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

Yes, the Joe Johnson signing set this team back a decade. All those All NBA players that were lining up outside of Phillips arena waiting for their max contract offer from the Hawks had to flock elsewhere. If we hadn't signed Joe we could have made a run at Dewayne Wade and Lebron James, two MUCH better options (and only better options) than Joe in 2010. Not only did we not get Wade or Bron but  we also had to miss out on offering huge deals to such talents as David West and Derron Williams in 2011, and 2012, and instead had to suffer through two All star seasons from Joe and back to back top four finishes in the conference.  Then we traded Joe away and got MIllsap and Korver with the capspace, another massive whiff since neither of those guys is a guy that can single-handedly carry a team to a championship. Yes the repercussions from that contract were catastrophic indeed.  We fans can only ask ourselves when will the front office see the light and stop giving contracts to the best players available and instead hold out for hypothetical better players who may or may not become available or who may or may not have any interest whatsoever to play for us.

katt.gif