• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

We dont shoot well enough to play Bud Ball.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Last night, the stark difference between us and GS became evident.

However, it's really not about us and them, it's about us and budball.  I watch us do it so often...  We go to this place where we just start shooting threes.  I watched us mount a comeback last night and then shoot airballs (thanks Dennis, Horf and Mike).   And our guys just kept pulling.  We're kinda like those oldtime Denver Nuggets teams that used to have shootouts everynight.

The truth is that we don't shoot good enough to do that and we don't have the players scrappy enough (We miss DMC) to help overcome our bad shooting.  Korver now is a target of defenses.  So is Teague.   Then teams just leave us alone outside and let us shoot ourselves out of the game.

I watched the magic of GS last night.  Their secret, adaptability.  They have Big guards that they can bully people with, they run plays going to the basketball, DGreen is a wizard on the offense and a Kingpin on the defense.  Then there is Steph.  He's shooting from the damn Stands.   They are talented.

When I look at us, we have some shooters and nobody moving to the basket.  No guards to bully people with.  No scrappy players to get rebounds and Millsap is our only defender.

I hear the cries for DHoward.  That's nice.  However, if there's a shot at Dieng from Minn or Deng from the Heat... those are the kinda guys who would help our defensive, scrap woes.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, Diesel said:

However, it's really not about us and them, it's about us and budball.  I watch us do it so often...  We go to this place where we just start shooting threes.  I watched us mount a comeback last night and then shoot airballs (thanks Dennis, Horf and Mike).   And our guys just kept pulling.  We're kinda like those oldtime Denver Nuggets teams that used to have shootouts everynight.

The truth is that we don't shoot good enough to do that and we don't have the players scrappy enough (We miss DMC) to help overcome our bad shooting.  Korver now is a target of defenses.  So is Teague.   Then teams just leave us alone outside and let us shoot ourselves out of the game.

I watched the magic of GS last night.  Their secret, adaptability.  They have Big guards that they can bully people with, they run plays going to the basketball, DGreen is a wizard on the offense and a Kingpin on the defense.  Then there is Steph.  He's shooting from the damn Stands.   They are talented.

When I look at us, we have some shooters and nobody moving to the basket.  No guards to bully people with.  No scrappy players to get rebounds and Millsap is our only defender.

I hear the cries for DHoward.  That's nice.  However, if there's a shot at Dieng from Minn or Deng from the Heat... those are the kinda guys who would help our defensive, scrap woes.

Man. I got to tell you, that Golden State team is the BEST team ive ever seen. That INCLUDES the 80s Lakers, 80s Celtics, 90s Bulls, 2000s Spurs.  The only team i think would give them a run is the 80s Celtics, and thats because of the LENGTH of Boston's frontcourt. ( Hawks NEED Dwight Howard, its not a option).

Your point about ADAPTABILITY.  I noticed that also. If the Hawks shots dont fall, they dont win. Golden State can beat you in ALL phases of the game. In fact, if Bogut could score around the rim, Golden State, would win between 75-78 games. They are THAT good.  They kinda remind me of that Kansas City Royals team in baseball. Its like " score at will". Its pretty to see.  They come up the floor sometimes and the ball MIGHT touch the floor one time. I hated Stephen Curry for a long time because of the pub he gets, but if dude gets at least two more rings, i rank him the best point guard ever ( that includes magic), and the splash brothers are the BEST backcourt, EASILY ive ever seen.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 3

Comparing any team to Golden State is futile at this point. They are a circus side show that are probably going to win more than the record 72 games. That's just an anomaly of a season.  In their current state, there is no other team in the NBA that can touch them in a series. On the plus side, it will be nice to watch them mop the floor with whatever East team decides they want to make the Finals. Hope it's the Cavs again.

• Like 4

• Premium Member
51 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Point on!

26 minutes ago, Duff_Man said:

Comparing any team to Golden State is futile at this point. They are a circus side show that are probably going to win more than the record 72 games. That's just an anomaly of a season.  In their current state, there is no other team in the NBA that can touch them in a series. On the plus side, it will be nice to watch them mop the floor with whatever East team decides they want to make the Finals. Hope it's the Cavs again.

Golden State grew BORED after going up 23 points. They sat their starters and played with the Hawks. Once the Hawks made it a game, Golden State got serious again.  Hawks got waaay too much wrong with their team to be considered a contender.  Again, Bud has screwed this team up. They are old and run the danger of actually SLIPPING even further next year if the right moves are not made. Korver is DONE as a starter. Baze COULD bounce, Scott might be gone.  92.9 pointed out that teams can wait and throw MAX dollars at Horford during the off season.  In other words, the Hawks gonna find themselves bidding to keep talent, instead of ADDING talent.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Golden State grew BORED after going up 23 points. They sat their starters and played with the Hawks. Once the Hawks made it a game, Golden State got serious again.  Hawks got waaay too much wrong with their team to be considered a contender.  Again, Bud has screwed this team up. They are old and run the danger of actually SLIPPING even further next year if the right moves are not made. Korver is DONE as a starter. Baze COULD bounce, Scott might be gone.  92.9 pointed out that teams can wait and throw MAX dollars at Horford during the off season.  In other words, the Hawks gonna find themselves bidding to keep talent, instead of ADDING talent.

Dennis was abusing Curry, they took out Curry for a rest and Dennis abused everyone who was defending him. Dennis was an absolute superstar for that spurt. Al was amazing all night but Golden is too much. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Not really. 

Atlanta is in good position.  We got the ace in Horford. We got the future ace in Dennis. We got a stud in Sap. You gotta fix the SF position and you gotta get a potential stud for Teague, like you got to. You do those three things, this team can be around for years to come. This season is lost because we don't have a SF. 

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

Dennis was abusing Curry, they took out Curry for a rest and Dennis abused everyone who was defending him. Dennis was an absolute superstar for that spurt. Al was amazing all night but Golden is too much. 

Dennis made me look bad for clowning  him yesterday. Dude mustve read the forum......lol.  Al even SHOWED UP on the boards yesterday. Dude played like it was a MAX contract GAME on the line, lol.   

Lastly, Golden State is just a beast. Heck, they did all that and uglydata wasnt even hitting his shots. Barnes is a monster. Golden State is just GOOD.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hawkmoor said:

Dennis made me look bad for clowning  him yesterday. Dude mustve read the forum......lol.  Al even SHOWED UP on the boards yesterday. Dude played like it was a MAX contract GAME on the line, lol.   

Lastly, Golden State is just a beast. Heck, they did all that and uglydata wasnt even hitting his shots. Barnes is a monster. Golden State is just GOOD.

Might be the greatest team of all time. It took an A+ effort to beat them and we had a A- one. We need that A- effort more and we would be a much better team than we have been lately.

This might have been the best game I've seen from Al in a Hawks uniform, he looked like prime Duncan out there. He was all over the place, he was a beast on both sides of the court and he was just aggressive as shit. He was nothing short of elite last night.

• Like 2

Curry seems to be unguardable, but we have one of the best to deploy on him in Dennis.  You have to be lightning quick, full of energy, highly communicative, and most of all, a dog.  Dellavadova had some success last year with a lot of luck, but fell off because he lacks the quickness.

The way he did Kawhi dirty pretty much killed the bigger-and-longer defender strategy.  Cleveland has 4 plus perimeter defenders, we had 4 last year.  It's all for not because he faces Iggy, Klay, Harrison, and Draymond in practice (see that guy switch on Jeff with no problem?).  

I've never seen a guy who invites you to double him that high and far, always at your own peril.  He doesn't even use his dribbling head fake like he used to.  If Pop fails to find a way to slow him down in the playoffs then everyone should give up.

If they go back to back I have no problem calling them the greatest team ever.  I still gotta rock with the 96 Bulls and 14 Spurs until then as far as my purview based off their boatload of rings prior.  Honorable mention to Larry Brown's Championship Pistons and The Ray and Tony Allen Celtics.

As far as individual labels on Steph, you wanna call Jordan the GOAT because he's the best combination of athleticism, skill, and intangibles, that's fine.  But the best competitive athletes believe that the game is 90% mental.  As much as I've marveled at the intelligence of guys like Kidd, Magic, Jordan, LeBron, Duncan, and Bird over the years, none of em can match Curry's thought processing.  The play when he faked Al under the basket to get off a clean baseline pass after a dribbling exhibition took about 4 rapid decisions in 3 seconds.  Shut me up or I'll be gushing all day about this fool.  Sorry you had to read all that, Spud.  Let's Go Hawks.

• Like 1

We don't shoot well enough to play "Bud Ball".  So to illustrate this, let's look at the 3 point shooting from this year, compared to last year.  And we have to look at it from a perspective of who are making the most 3s in a game, and what they shoot from that range.

Korver:  1.9 makes ... ( .387 )

Baze:  1.5 makes ... ( .377 )

Teague:  1.3 makes ... ( .401 )

Dennis:  1.1 makes ... ( .343 )

Horford : 1.0 makes ... ( .335 )

Compare that to 2015

Korver:  2.9 makes ... ( .492 )

Carroll:  1.7 makes ... ( .395 )

Millsap:  1.1 makes ... ( .356 )

Teague:  1.0 makes ... ( .343 )

Scott:  1.0 makes ... ( .344 )

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises

The thing that stands out the most this season, is the guy who is one of the most suited to play "Bud Ball" on offense, can't find enough minutes to get on the floor, because he's playing behind 2 All-Stars ... and is not a SF.

And that's Mike Scott.

He's our 2nd best 3 point shooter and one of the few guys on this squad that has multi dimensions to his offensive game, both inside and out.  But in order to get him more time, he or Millsap will have to play out of position.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

The thing that stands out the most this season, is the guy who is one of the most suited to play "Bud Ball" on offense, can't find enough minutes to get on the floor, because he's playing behind 2 All-Stars ... and is not a SF.

And that's Mike Scott.

He's our 2nd best 3 point shooter and one of the few guys on this squad that has multi dimensions to his offensive game, both inside and out.  But in order to get him more time, he or Millsap will have to play out of position.

I like Scott but i'm not sure he needs to play more.   He's not really competing with anyone off the bench at PF.   I just don't think his D is good enough to warrant more time.    He's gotten more physical which i like but I think he could do more to give some hard fouls when he's in the game.  

10 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I like Scott but i'm not sure he needs to play more.   He's not really competing with anyone off the bench at PF.   I just don't think his D is good enough to warrant more time.    He's gotten more physical which i like but I think he could do more to give some hard fouls when he's in the game.  

Here's the thing though.  It's not like Moose is a better option off the bench.  And Bud isn't going to give Edy a shot at getting Splitter's minutes at backup center.

Matter of fact, I already got a topic ready for this exact discussion.

• Moderators
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Here's the thing though.  It's not like Moose is a better option off the bench.  And Bud isn't going to give Edy a shot at getting Splitter's minutes at backup center.

Matter of fact, I already got a topic ready for this exact discussion.

I totally agree with that.   So are you saying Scott should get more time and Sap/Horf  less?    My point is he's getting enough time as the primary backup big and I sure don't want him starting.

1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

I totally agree with that.   So are you saying Scott should get more time and Sap/Horf  less?    My point is he's getting enough time as the primary backup big and I sure don't want him starting.

There's a lot of people on twitter that think Mike Scott should be getting 23-25 mins a night and 20 isn't anywhere NEAR close to enough. That he's real close to starter quality.

• Like 2