• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dennis Schröder, anyone?

bumpyphish1

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

Dennis and Baz got us back into the game but they also lost it for us in the 4th ....  Dennis got sloppy and made bad turnovers and Baz started chucking ... one point on a fast break when the game was tied Al was completely alone under the basket ... a gimme ... and Baz chucked and missed a three.  

Dennis had a phenomenal game ... he was making shots he usually doesn't make but he was tired and probably a little over confident at the end and we needed a fresh Teague to get in there and settle things down.  When Teague came back in at the mid of the 4th he should have stayed in.  

Our lack of rebounding/boxing out was the other reason.  Man that is so dissappointing how we continue to let opposing teams to get in there and get O Boards.  Lets get Hump some minutes.

Baze also tried a fast break layup on lebron when sap was wide open on the wing.   I know usually you're supposed to take it in but i don't think Lebron can get over to stop sap on that one.   Baze missed and then sap missed twice on the rebound.  

Still goes to the point that had we had some guys step up offensively we could have won this one.  

• Like 3

• Moderators

Baze and Dennis both stepped up and were our best offensive contributors.  When no one else did much of anything, they both tried to do too much down the stretch.  You know hero ball with either of them is not where you want to be but the other options weren't so exciting:

Sap - 31.6%

Horf - 30.8%

Teague - 22.2%

Korver / THJr - 0%

I get why they felt like they needed to overextend last night.

• Like 2

A lot of props to Dennis but 50% shooting on 10 3 attempts isn't something I'd bank on going forward.  The rest of his game were aspects that we've seen him excel in repeatedly before so we can say he's definitely more likely to repeat that effort (heh, definitely more likely) but I expect more feast or famine performances from 3.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

Al seem like he be playing like he doesn't want to get hurt.

That was his MO early in the season but I thought he kicked it into gear around and after the break.  Back to his businessman style, surely influenced by his agent and dad.  

55 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

That was his MO early in the season but I thought he kicked it into gear around and after the break.  Back to his businessman style, surely influenced by his agent and dad.  

Sadly. Well if he keeps playing like that he'll have a longer summer than last year.

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

This matchup works better for Dennis, just like the Boston Matchup worked better for Teague.

You do realize that Dennis had 4 of 5 games where he didn't really hurt the team after the first game in the first series, right? And the one in which he did may have been emotions based? Everyone wants to call for Dennis' head when he makes a mistake but at least most times he's trying to be aggressive.

Teague didn't light the world on fire against Boston and he should be MUCH better in this series because he's shown that he can take advantage of Kyrie. If he isn't at least at 24 and 7 tomorrow I am going to be VERY disappointed and mad at him.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Spursfanpeacemaker said:

How about those 2 crucial turnovers by dennis at the 4th? You're praising  so strong how good Schröder is, and bashing other hawks players especially on Jeff teague, almost seems like you only care about dennis not the whole team..

What about them?  He made a couple of turnovers?  What about miserable shooting from everyone else?  What about turnovers from Bazemore and others?  Did Sap not miss two free throws?  Cmaannn.  Dennis was our best player...if only for a night and it wasn't close.

12 hours ago, hawkman said:

I know, but some posters seem more about, "my player did good so my opinion is validated", than about the team. It gets tiresome.

Ah, so that was what my post was about?  I'm glad you can project so accurately the intent behind others' objective comments.

Btw, I'm indeed guilty of thinking that Dennis is the future (and Teague isn't) but I wasn't bashing Teague or being "more about Schröder than the team".  Kid just happened to have, perhaps, his most meaningful game as a pro last night.  I wasn't until I got a substance-less "Sigh" that I even mentioned Teague.   I don't dislike Teague and he's better than Dennis at the moment.   But, in a year or so, he won't be...and won't be for his career.  Dennis is a franchise PG.

Edited by bumpyphish1

19 hours ago, AHF said:

Baze and Dennis both stepped up and were our best offensive contributors.  When no one else did much of anything, they both tried to do too much down the stretch.  You know hero ball with either of them is not where you want to be but the other options weren't so exciting:

I think this  is what Cleveland wants. We've now played Cleveland 5 times and Teague, Baze and Schröder have been wide open all games. Good for them for hitting their shots, but Imo we are playing right into Cleveland's hands by not enforcing our  will and tempo. This  is my biggest problem with a 100% read and react  offense. A good defensive team  can force the read to the players they want. Under Larry  Drew it ended up in Josh Smith's hands all the time on the perimeter.

Cleveland is hedging their bets that that Trio  won't best them, and so far they been right. We need  30 assist we need PG's breaking  down  D. I was happy when Dennis started doing that.

• Like 1

Check out Jeff talking smack to Kyrie saying "not this year!" early in the first quarter, then promptly gets his minutes eaten by Dennis thereafter, in a loss.  Even when Jeff is showing the fire we all want he looks like a guy who holds his pizza sideways in the end.

1 minute ago, benhillboy said:

Check out Jeff talking smack to Kyrie saying "not this year!" early in the first quarter, then promptly gets his minutes eaten by Dennis thereafter, in a loss.  Even when Jeff is showing the fire we all want he looks like a guy who holds his pizza sideways in the end.

Video?

We have had the occasional Playoff Teague so now maybe we have the beginning of Playoff Dennis. Consistency from the PG's please. Now would be the most perfect time! Beat the Cavs! 

1 hour ago, bumpyphish1 said:

They are focused on Sap and Horf and Korver.  Daring Teague/Baze/Dennis/support to beat them.

If they are going to focus on Sap and Horf like that they need to up their intensity, crash the boards and try to get some offensive  rebounds, find other ways to contribute.

For Kyle, they are guarding  him tightly for 3 point shots how about we get him a couple  2s instead.

49 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If they are going to focus on Sap and Horf like that they need to up their intensity, crash the boards and try to get some offensive  rebounds, find other ways to contribute.

Doesn't matter because he's wrong anyway on Al Horford.

Is Kevin Love being put on Al Horford single coverage in most sets really the "defense focusing on him?" There's a reason why I've said he's a big part of this series, it's because he absolutely needs to take advantage of Love.

2 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Doesn't matter because he's wrong anyway on Al Horford.

Is Kevin Love being put on Al Horford single coverage in most sets really the "defense focusing on him?" There's a reason why I've said he's a big part of this series, it's because he absolutely needs to take advantage of Love.

Al should be abusing  KLove if he plays like  he gives a damn.