• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Should we trade the Pick for a player... again??

Diesel

Always am very interested to see what we can do with our picks other than trading them away but I admit last years first round trade looks like it is really going to work out for us. Once Bud gained some trust in Tim's slowly improving defense then we saw on the floor some promising moments. A year in the system now so we will see how many minutes he can command. After this example I'm more open minded about the results of a possible trade in this year's draft.    

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, Thomas said:

Always am very interested to see what we can do with our picks other than trading them away but I admit last years first round trade looks like it is really going to work out for us. Once Bud gained some trust in Tim's slowly improving defense then we saw on the floor some promising moments. A year in the system now so we will see how many minutes he can command. After this example I'm more open minded about the results of a possible trade in this year's draft.    

More than anything else, last year pick was sorta Baze protection.   I think that they say the possibility of the Baze situation and picked up THJr as a plan B... Even though I like to think of him as Korver's replacement.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, bird_dirt said:

Niiiiice. Good one, @Diesel

Honestly, I think that Snell is a defensive standout and Chicago's new coaching regime doesn't care about that.   We can probably ship a 2nd rounder to Chicago and they would just give us Snell.   Especially if they are serious considering floating Butler in trades.

17 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Honestly, I think that Snell is a defensive standout and Chicago's new coaching regime doesn't care about that.   We can probably ship a 2nd rounder to Chicago and they would just give us Snell.   Especially if they are serious considering floating Butler in trades.

A defensive STANDOUT? Really?

Tell me more please.

3 hours ago, frosgrim said:

If the Hawks do get Okafor, they could resign Al, and then move Milsap. Not saying they should, but this would be a classic case of selling high on an asset to get maximal return. That return could net a significant package say from Orlando (Herzongia, and maybe Gordon?).

Okafor is not ready to start on any NBA team right now. 

22 minutes ago, Diesel said:

More than anything else, last year pick was sorta Baze protection.   I think that they say the possibility of the Baze situation and picked up THJr as a plan B... Even though I like to think of him as Korver's replacement.

Bingo. He's still got a long way to go but showed some great progress in 3/4 of a season. Blaze will sign elsewhere for 12+mill/yr and the THJr trade will be more important than ever. As a surprise to no one, I think THJr continues to grow into a starter.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

A high first round draft pick from the Hawks. If that's the case a team like TOR could trump that with Joseph and 7th overall pick or their own pick.

Teague is way better than Corey Joesph and draft picks aren't that important to Philly. I only suggested it as an add on to sweeten the deal. They rather have the better veteran player in the trade. Philly reported that they going after free agents this year...in translation to me that means we want and need veteran players therefore Im sure they want the best they can get. 

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member
39 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Okafor is not ready to start on any NBA team right now. 

Wait... what??? Are you saying Jahlil Okafor couldn't start for the Hawks? I know he had some off the court problems that should concern the Hawks, but he's a skilled center that averaged 17pts and 7rbs on an NBA team at the age of 19.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, hawkman said:

Wait... what??? Are you saying Jahlil Okafor couldn't start for the Hawks? I know he had some off the court problems that should concern the Hawks, but he's a skilled center that averaged 17pts and 7rbs on an NBA team at the age of 19.

If the goal is winning, he wouldn't start over Horford.  It wouldn't be close.  Given the stage of their career, that should be expected.

1 hour ago, Diesel said:

Definitely agree to the Korver replacement thinking because even if Korver comes back strong from a rehab free off season he still will be 36 freaking years old during this next season. I love Korver stretching the floor but father time is a reality check for him past next season even with a balls to the wall off season routine. Whether he is here past next year or not he will be a three point threat off the bench for someone. He seems to have intuitive coaching abilities we can really use on the floor and elsewhere. I remember teammates commenting on his on the floor communication as if they were surprised by it. He used to shoot threes after practice with Morrow and also DMC that shows some serious dedication. Back to the point tough I feel Tim will gain consistent  positive minutes.          

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

A defensive STANDOUT? Really?

Tell me more please.

I think that under the former regime, Snell showed that he can be a good perimeter defender.   Moreover, I don't think he would have gotten playing time otherwise.   He's not Tony Allen or anything like that but as a young dude, I see DMC potential.   Plus, he can shoot.

• Premium Member
10 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Definitely agree to the Korver replacement thinking because even if Korver comes back strong from a rehab free off season he still will be 36 freaking years old during this next season. I love Korver stretching the floor but father time is a reality check for him past next season even with a balls to the wall off season routine. Whether he is here past next year or not he will be a three point threat off the bench for someone. He seems to have intuitive coaching abilities we can really use on the floor and elsewhere. I remember teammates commenting on his on the floor communication as if they were surprised by it. He used to shoot threes after practice with Morrow and also DMC that shows some serious dedication. Back to the point tough I feel Tim will gain consistent  positive minutes.          

I had hoped that we would have ended our dependence on Korver last year when we noted that he couldn't produce like he used to and we would have looked for somebody to replace him who was  atop notch shooter.  However, the playoffs told a different story.   He played much more minutes than I thought he should.

The points are true though... He's 36.  That's basketball old.. regardless of your training program.   He's never been a great defender.  IF we bring back Baze or if we elevate THJr, somebody has to be in line to replace Korver.  I still think Korver off the bench would be effective, but we have to start thinking about the future.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
27 minutes ago, AHF said:

If the goal is winning, he wouldn't start over Horford.  It wouldn't be close.  Given the stage of their career, that should be expected.

But the original post said Okafor would start with Horford. I assume with Horford at PF.

5 hours ago, BigDog90 said:

A high first round draft pick from the Hawks. If that's the case a team like TOR could trump that with Joseph and 7th overall pick or their own pick.

Teague is a quality starter.

Joseph is what he is, a quality backup. If that's  the case, in lieu of trading for Joseph, Philly might as well resign Ish Smith.

Oh and  Toronto has pick #9 not #7.

• Moderators
44 minutes ago, hawkman said:

But the original post said Okafor would start with Horford. I assume with Horford at PF.

I am saying that on a team with Sap and Horford, Okafor comes off the bench in 2015-16.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Teague is a quality starter.

Joseph is what he is, a quality backup. If that's  the case, in lieu of trading for Joseph, Philly might as well resign Ish Smith.

Oh and  Toronto has pick #9 not #7.

Why does Ish not stick anywhere. He is quick and surely is at least a solid backup? Don't get it. Remember when Stinger commented on him in the distant past about him making a team better because of his speed and work ethic. 

7 minutes ago, AHF said:

I am saying that on a team with Sap and Horford, Okafor comes off the bench in 2015-16.

Absolutely agree. Okafor has to play defense to get meaningful minutes especially late in games with Bud's scheme. Bud is definitely stubborn but I just don't see the FO telling him how to manage minutes with any player with his success so far as our coach. Budball's defense is what kept us alive at all during the second half of the season this past year.  

6 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Why does Ish not stick anywhere. He is quick and surely is at least a solid backup? Don't get it. Remember when Stinger commented on him in the distant past about him making a team better because of his speed and work ethic. 

I don't know.  Teams are always thinking 'we can do better'

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Let him be, if you don't watch the games and just see the ball, comments like this are likely.