• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves about to show tonight during draft what tanking can do for you.

Hawkmoor

20 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Cleveland was able to resign Irving, Love and Tristan because they had early bird rights.

Now we're going back in a circle to confuse him. I think what it is here is they didn't have to exceed the cap hold by too much for any of them which left them plenty of space. Or even at all.

Either way, if Kent Bazemore doesn't resign and Muscala is renounced the team will be in good shape to sign a big free agent if they wanted.

Edited by Lurker

2 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Ok. Excellent break down.  I only have two more  questions after that excellent explanation.  Where did you get the 40 million cap space from? ( is there a total tap space that you subtracted contracts to get that number ?)  Next, how does early Bird affect what you are saying. Lets pretend that the Hawks only had early Bird on Horford this year as a example. How would that affect the numbers and options?  

Again, excellent breakdown.  It piques my interest more now into how this team is being built.  I see now how having  full Bird rights is a incentive to get these guys to agree to long term deals.  That last option where they resign Horford and still have 22 million to work is looking good.

The $40 mil comes from subtracting the guaranteed contracts ($52 mil) from the projected cap of $92 mil.

If the Hawks only had early bird on Horford they would have  to use capspace of  $27 mil from the $40 mil to sign him.

4 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Now we're going back in a circle to confuse him. I think what it is here is they didn't have to exceed the cap hold by too much for any of them which left them plenty of space. Or even at all.

Either way, if Kent Bazemore doesn't resign and Muscala is renounced the team will be in good shape to sign a big free agent if they wanted.

Which again, is why i dont understand how the Hawks werent able to resign both Millsap and Carroll  using their early bird on them. Yes, im confused about that.

7 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Ok. Excellent break down.  I only have two more  questions after that excellent explanation.  Where did you get the 40 million cap space from? ( is there a total tap space that you subtracted contracts to get that number ?)  Next, how does early Bird affect what you are saying. Lets pretend that the Hawks only had early Bird on Horford this year as a example. How would that affect the numbers and options?  

Again, excellent breakdown.  It piques my interest more now into how this team is being built.  I see now how having  full Bird rights is a incentive to get these guys to agree to long term deals.  That last option where they resign Horford and still have 22 million to work is looking good.

oops, one more question. You said renouncing Al along with those other players gives you the 40 million space.  I thought if your renounce a contract, you couldnt go back and resign the player.

That is true, I just did that to simplify the numbers.  If we renounce Al we'd have to use capspace to resign him which  defeats the purpose.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The $40 mil comes from subtracting the guaranteed contracts ($52 mil) from the projected cap of $92 mil.

If the Hawks only had early bird on Horford they would have  to use capspace of  $27 mil from the $40 mil to sign him.

Ok. so, when a team has early bird, they CAN resign the player, but it becomes a FULL cap charge, eating into the total cap space. If they have full bird rights, there is a cap hold charge ( in this case 18 million),  which means that they can sign Horford to a max of 27, but only have the 18 million count against the total.  I hope i finally got it. thanx.

Ok let's look at Bazemore.

His caphold  is $2.6 mil.  Because we only have early bird rights we have to use capspace to sign him for more than his caphold.

If  we had early bird rights, we could maintain his caphold while using the remaining capspace to sign another free agent.

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ok let's look at Bazemore.

His caphold  is $2.6 mil.  Because we only have early bird rights we have to use capspace to sign him for more than his caphold.

If  we had early bird rights, we could maintain his caphold while using the remaining capspace to sign another free agent.

I think  you meant to say if they had FULL bird rights, they could maintain the 2.6 million cap hold. Thanx for breaking this all down.  Since Baze wants around 18 million ( think thats the number), the Hawks would have the full 18 count against their total.  

Edited by Hawkmoor

4 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

Which again, is why i dont understand how the Hawks werent able to resign both Millsap and Carroll  using their early bird on them. Yes, im confused about that.

I don't remember what our capspace was last year off hand. maybe $22 mil???

Millsap's early bird was $16 i think. He was looking for  a max so we had to use $20 mil in capspace. which left nothing for DMC who signed for $15.

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

I don't remember what our capspace was last year off hand. maybe $22 mil???

Millsap's early bird was $16 i think. He was looking for  a max so we had to use $20 mil in capspace. which left nothing for DMC who signed for $15.

Got it now.  It makes it more clear and also gives me a edge on how to dissect what Bud is doing. Once we know the final cap numbers, we can grade him on his off season moves.  I was wondering why they couldnt resign both Millsap and Carroll.

Aaaaand in spectacularly typical fashion, the Barves take a rando high school pitcher with their top 3 pik.

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/2016-mlb-first-year-player-draft-first-round-complete-results/

RHP Ian Anderson, Shenendehowa HS (NY)

Missing a few weeks with an oblique injury this spring was not enough to keep Anderson out of the first round, though it did limit how often scouts could get their eyes on him. Anderson sits in the low-90s with his heater and folks expect him to eventually settle into the mid-90s once he adds some meat to his 6-foot-3, 170 lb. frame. His breaking ball is inconsistent and it's at its best when he throws it hard like a slider. Anderson has a changeup as well, and he's drawn raves for his aggressiveness and pitching know how. He's committed to Vanderbilt.

I'm sure Mr. Anderson is the walking reincarnation of Tom Glavine Avery so in about 6 years (after the standard Tommy John surgery that all these guys go through) we'll see him take the mound in from of several hundred Cobb residents.  Yay?

Ho hum ....

• Moderators

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true3. Ian Anderson, RHP
Shenendehowa HS (Clifton Park, New York)
Big Board rank: 7

And the games have begun! This is going to be a heavy underslot deal for Atlanta -- probably around $3.2 million, while the pick's slot is roughly $6.5 million -- which means they're going to try to move a high-profile prospect, possibly Matt Manning or Jason Groome, back to their second pick at 40th overall. This is risky if a team like the Padres, Reds or even the Dodgers decide they have enough money to pay whomever the Braves are targeting. Teams can also just draft Atlanta's targets and dare them to go to college.

Anderson is good, and he had a potential home with the Red Sox at the 12th pick and likely wasn’t getting past the Yankees at 18. He'll flash three plus pitches and creep into the mid-90s with his fastball. Anderson was under-scouted this spring because of bad weather in his area and an illness he battled.

atl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=true

40. Joey Wentz, LHP
Shawnee Mission East HS (Prairie Village, Kansas)
Big Board rank: 22

The Braves have been linked with Wentz for a while now, and they had been tussling with Philadelphia for financial supremacy to land him. Wentz's stuff backed up as the spring went along, but when it's on, it's devastating. He'll touch 95 mph effortlessly and snap off a potential plus breaking ball. This is a massive, well-built athlete who spent last summer playing first base on the showcase circuit. This is a huge get for Atlanta, and when combined with their Ian Anderson pick, it makes for a terrific start to their draft.

44. Kyle Muller, LHP  To say Muller posted video game stats at times this spring is an understatement. Muller struck out 21 hitters in an eight-inning game in March, retiring the first 18 batters of the game by strikeout. If you include the last six hitters he faced from the previous game, Muller struck out 24 consecutive batters, a national high school record.   Now, before we can anoint Muller as Roy Hobbs come to life, it's important to know that he was only sitting 86-88 with his fastball during last summer's showcases. This spring, he's been 87-93 and has touched 95. The delivery features some head violence, is deliberate and lacks elegance, but his arm works fine even if it is a bit slow. Muller's vertical slot helps him get on top of his curveball, which, while inconsistent, will flash average and has solid depth. The changeup is well below average and, given a relative lack of arm acceleration, probably won't ever be more than a fringe average pitch. Drafting Muller means selecting an Adonis who has performed in one of the more competitive areas for prep baseball in the country. Muller is a dominant physical presence who is trending up in all aspects of the game. Though his profile still has some missing pieces, he's done enough to justify a first-round selection. Muller is committed to Texas and will likely play both ways if he ends up on campus.

76. Brett Cumberland, C Cumberland probably won't remain a catcher in pro ball for very long. He falls short of having average major league catching attributes in most aspects: mobility, arm strength, receiving. While there will undoubtedly be a team or two who thinks Cumberland can catch -- or at least think it's worth running him out there initially to just to see what happens -- the general consensus is that he'll have to move to left field.  If and when that happens, a ton of pressure will be put on Cumberland to hit his way up the minor league ladder. He has terrific barrel control and a natural, low-ball swing from the left side that plays despite some excessive noise in the hands because of the bat speed and hand-eye coordination. Cumberland's swing from the right side is much simpler and quieter but lacks the looseness and explosion of his left-handed stroke. In aggregate, he projects as an above average hitter with average power. He'd need a polished approach to make a 55/50 hit/power combination to play every day in left field as an average or better player. But based on where he's likely to be drafted, just getting a big league contributor out of that pick is a solid outcome. There's good chance Cumberland can at least be that.

• Like 1

Same ole, same ole from the Braves. They think they can buy hitting with their pitching. This is a team that DEFINITELY isn't spending in free agency so let's not say "oh, they'll buy hitters on the FA market".

Edited by Lurker