• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves about to show tonight during draft what tanking can do for you.

Hawkmoor

I know the anti tank crowd is huge here, and i dont care either way, but the Braves, i love what they are doing.  They tore that whole team down to rebuild around pitching. Tonight, they got the 3rd pick in the draft.   HIGH baseball picks matter. Ask Philly who got Bryce Harper with the number 1 pick a few years back.  Instead of making the playoffs over and over and getting bounced, the Braves are retooling to go after chips.  Like the Hawks, ownership doesnt appear to want to break open payroll, so the only way to build is to build within.  Take note Hawks, tonight, 7 p.m.  the Braves are gonna continue to show how its done with limited payroll.

The Braves are slotted to have 6.5 million in signing bonus to rookies they draft:

Draft Order (Slot Values via MLB.com’s Jim Callis)

1. Phillies — $9.015MM
  2. Reds — $7.763MM
  3. Braves — $6.51MM
  4. Rockies — $5.529MM
  5. Brewers — $4.382MM
  6. Athletics — $4.069MM
  7. Marlins — $3.756MM
  8. Padres — $3.631MM
  9. Tigers — $3.506MM
  10. White Sox — $3.381MM

4307a819f37d75e59eaa5fd529103aca.jpg

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

This does not belong in Homecourt.

@lethalweapon3 @AHF 

Snitches get stitches .....

(hehe)

Besides, lethal is busy at ESPN and AH is shorterall shoppin' down at tha Wal-mart (yes, tha Wal-mart).

Edited by kg01

3 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I couldnt even find this forum without some serious digging.  Are there any baseball fans on the squawk?  Im trying to drum up interest in the draft tonight.

The Barves have sapped the baseball life out of the fanbase.  Also, baseball lags way behind the other sports w.r.t. draft coverage.  That has more to do with the lack of interest than anything IMHO.

Lastly, baseball and basketball are nowhere near comparable in terms of draft impact so I won't even go into comparing the two.

It's only been fairly recently that top baseball picks weren't relegated to the minors for 15 years before making an impact so tanking largely doesn't matter in baseball anyway JMHO.  Plus, the Barves efforts are to build the minors primarily through prospect-acquisition via trade not necessarily thru high drafting.

That said, I'll be monitoring who they pick but won't devote any time to watching the draft.  It's beyond boring.  I literally haven't watched a single pitch of baseball in over 2 years now thanks to the Barves.  I'm not sure I'll ever come back honestly.

7 minutes ago, kg01 said:

The Barves have sapped the baseball life out of the fanbase.  Also, baseball lags way behind the other sports w.r.t. draft coverage.  That has more to do with the lack of interest than anything IMHO.

Lastly, baseball and basketball are nowhere near comparable in terms of draft impact so I won't even go into comparing the two.

It's only been fairly recently that top baseball picks weren't relegated to the minors for 15 years before making an impact so tanking largely doesn't matter in baseball anyway JMHO.  Plus, the Barves efforts are to build the minors primarily through prospect-acquisition via trade not necessarily thru high drafting.

That said, I'll be monitoring who they pick but won't devote any time to watching the draft.  It's beyond boring.  I literally haven't watched a single pitch of baseball in over 2 years now thanks to the Barves.  I'm not sure I'll ever come back honestly.

You are correct on everything. Me personally, i like baseball over basketball because i know its above board.  The NBA is like watching episodes of TMZ.  Its all drama and i dont trust the product at all. I swear that these NBA finals look just as fishy as the whole product.   Golden State wins by 30..........then loses by 30.  Im not buying that at all.

Anyway, you are correct about baseball, but i love the slow pace of the game and the fact that it is  a pure game.  There is more to baseball than the average person thinks.  Im enjoying watching the little moves the Braves are making to get back on top, vs watching a NBA team where i dont trust the product on or off the floor.  Football, Baseball and a  quarter here and there of basketball in that order for me.

Edited by Hawkmoor

Baseball drafts are like watching paint dry - prospects are relative unknowns for the most part.

The current product makes watching them unbearable.

They traded Kelly Johnson for you guessed it another pitcher. 

I understand they are trying to recreate the Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux trio but they need some bats to supplement all the pitching.

Thinks are so bad you can get a set of tickets for all the July games for $39.00, that's  about $2.60 a game.

They are banking on their 'wait til Cobb' mantra to draw back in fans - the Hawk aren't in a position to tank seasons, basketball fans in Atlanta are already so fickle.

I know I'm  not spending a dime on a product that when I go to a game they have no shot at winning - my entertainment dollars are few and I'm in it for the enjoyment of at least having a shot to win the game I attend.

33 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

I know the anti tank crowd is huge here, and i dont care either way, but the Braves, i love what they are doing.  They tore that whole team down to rebuild around pitching. Tonight, they got the 3rd pick in the draft.   HIGH baseball picks matter. Ask Philly who got Bryce Harper with the number 1 pick a few years back.  Instead of making the playoffs over and over and getting bounced, the Braves are retooling to go after chips.  Like the Hawks, ownership doesnt appear to want to break open payroll, so the only way to build is to build within.  Take note Hawks, tonight, 7 p.m.  the Braves are gonna continue to show how its done with limited payroll.

The Braves are slotted to have 6.5 million in signing bonus to rookies they draft:

Draft Order (Slot Values via MLB.com’s Jim Callis)

1. Phillies — $9.015MM
  2. Reds — $7.763MM
  3. Braves — $6.51MM
  4. Rockies — $5.529MM
  5. Brewers — $4.382MM
  6. Athletics — $4.069MM
  7. Marlins — $3.756MM
  8. Padres — $3.631MM
  9. Tigers — $3.506MM
  10. White Sox — $3.381MM

4307a819f37d75e59eaa5fd529103aca.jpg

Yeah, it's good if you've don't mind waiting for the 10 year retool.   The Braves won't be worth watching for a long, long time.

16 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Baseball drafts are like watching paint dry - prospects are relative unknowns for the most part.

The current product makes watching them unbearable.

They traded Kelly Johnson for you guessed it another pitcher. 

I understand they are trying to recreate the Smoltz, Glavine, Maddux trio but they need some bats to supplement all the pitching.

Thinks are so bad you can get a set of tickets for all the July games for $39.00, that's  about $2.60 a game.

They are banking on their 'wait til Cobb' mantra to draw back in fans - the Hawk aren't in a position to tank seasons, basketball fans in Atlanta are already so fickle.

I know I'm  not spending a dime on a product that when I go to a game they have no shot at winning - my entertainment dollars are few and I'm in it for the enjoyment of at least having a shot to win the game I attend.

The only thing that makes me question what the Braves are doing is the fact that they are counting on revenue from the complex built up around the new Park. In other words, if ownership keeps the Braves, they may not care what the product is doing as long as the other assets are making money. Ive read a article somewhere that said just that.  

Edited by Hawkmoor

12 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

You are correct on everything. Me personally, i like baseball over basketball because i know its above board.  The NBA is like watching episodes of TMZ.  Its all drama and i dont trust the product at all. I swear that these NBA finals look just as fishy as the whole product.   Golden State wins by 30..........then loses by 30.  Im not buying that at all.

Anyway, you are correct about baseball, but i love the slow pace of the game and the fact that it is  a pure game.  There is more to baseball than the average person thinks.  Im enjoying watching the little moves the Braves are making to get back on top, vs watching a NBA team where i dont trust the product on or off the floor.  Football, Baseball and a  quarter here and there of basketball in that order for me.

Baseball isn't "pure".  That's their selling tool, but there's a pretty hefty history of flat-out cheating and below-board activities in that game and that's before factoring in the steroid stuff.

Now, I hear what you're saying w.r.t. basketball.  Due to the nature of the game, there are a lot of in-game decisions (calls, etc.) that are highly-subject to human error and a lot of people simply refuse to believe there's no invisible hand dictating the outcomes.  In reality, there's more money in exposing such activities than there is in keeping them secret so I just don't believe it's taking place.

If you enjoy the slow pace of baseball, that explains why you don't like basketball as much (and that's perfectly fine, to each his/her own).  I'd just caution you against being anti-basketball because you don't trust the product.  I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone else, however, I just don't think it's there.

Any one remember the third baseman  that the Braves drafted a few years ago?  He didn't go

through the minors, but directly to the Braves.

He once hit four homers in one game.  a real power hitter!  But, being the Braves, they lost the game.

I remember, because I was watching on TV.

Not all daft picks require a lot of minor league bell before they come to the majors.

5 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

The only thing that makes me question what the Braves are doing is the fact that they are counting on revenue from the complex built up around the new Park. In other words, if ownership keeps the Braves, they may not care what the product is doing as long as the other assets are making money. Ive read a article somewhere that said just that.  

Liberty Media has no interest in the baseball team as a product on the field. Just the money.

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Baseball isn't "pure".  That's their selling tool, but there's a pretty hefty history of flat-out cheating and below-board activities in that game and that's before factoring in the steroid stuff.

Now, I hear what you're saying w.r.t. basketball.  Due to the nature of the game, there are a lot of in-game decisions (calls, etc.) that are highly-subject to human error and a lot of people simply refuse to believe there's no invisible hand dictating the outcomes.  In reality, there's more money in exposing such activities than there is in keeping them secret so I just don't believe it's taking place.

If you enjoy the slow pace of baseball, that explains why you don't like basketball as much (and that's perfectly fine, to each his/her own).  I'd just caution you against being anti-basketball because you don't trust the product.  I love a good conspiracy as much as anyone else, however, I just don't think it's there.

I go all the way back to Hubie Brown's Hawks teams.  Even back then, i would hear people say the NBA was crooked, that they let superstars get away with things that other players cannot.  I also played basketball. Basketball, the SPORT i have no problem with.  Its the purely commercial nature of the game that i dont like.  For a while, i primarily only watched college basketball, but dont even do that anymore because the top players leave the game after one year. You cant even keep up with who is on these rosters in college basketball anymore.  

As far as baseball goes, i know they pretended to not see certain things so that the game would grow, but baseball is nowhere near the NFL and NBA when it comes to the crap those leagues pull.

On a side note, ive always felt that college football should let the players leave just like the basketball, but after seeing what it has done to the college basketball game, im against it now.  They need to start paying these college players so that they will stay in college.

Edited by Hawkmoor

6 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Came here to say the same about baseball being pure.

Raising the mound, juicing the balls, steroids, design of parks that limit or increase homeruns, different strike zones, etc.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Liberty Media has no interest in the baseball team as a product on the field. Just the money.

Which is WHY i said the Braves front office figured the only way to really build would be to tank and build from within.   Liberty Media isnt about to drop 200 million into payroll like the Yankees , Dodgers. etc.    Which brings me to the Hawks.   They have to prioritize the draft and other options because  i dont think  Ressler will go anywhere near a luxury tax to max out that roster.

3 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Came here to say the same about baseball being pure.

Raising the mound, juicing the balls, steroids, design of parks that limit or increase homeruns, different strike zones, etc.

lol.  You had to bring all that up.  Lets just say they the least corrupt, of the corrupt. 

If the draftees come from college, they'll need 1-2 years. High school or international, it is 3-4 years though as people are saying.

I'm already not liking what I'm hearing as well. It sounds like more high school pitchers.