• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Little Known Fact.

Diesel

• Premium Member

I know that a lot of fans here are in morning and it's in these times that voices of those who want to react in a Babcockish way gets the loudest..

But I was looking over some stats.  And I am not a stats guy... however,  When we consider the bigs of the league and the bigs in the playoffs and which bigs contested the most shots in these playoffs...

#1 and # 2  were Millsap and Horford.

Not Whitesides.  Not Ibaka.  Not Tristin.    #3 was Draymond.

That's eye opening... because you would think that our guys wasn't doing anything defensively.

When we talk about holding their opponents between 5-9 ft.  Kris Humphries excels at that.   I think we have some possibilities on defense. IF we get the right pieces in here and it doesn't have to be a dominant big.

• Like 1

The Hawks' defense was great. Not quite as good as some of the numbers would suggest, but still.  It's like all the great defensive teams in the league have their arch nemesis they cannot hold under 100.  Of course it's the Cavs for the Hawks and the Celtics.  For GS and SA, it's OKC.  For Indiana and Utah it's any of the above teams.  

A True C next to Al would likely make the court product match the great numbers versus everyone in the league.  I just hate to part with Sap, who I like more than Al but isn't as great a fit.

12 hours ago, Diesel said:

I know that a lot of fans here are in morning??? and it's in these times that voices of those who want to react in a Babcockish way gets the loudest..

But I was looking over some stats.  And I am not a stats guy... however,  When we consider the bigs of the league and the bigs in the playoffs and which bigs contested the most shots in these playoffs...

That's eye opening... because you would think that our guys wasn't doing anything defensively.

When we talk about holding their opponents between 5-9 ft.  Kris Humphries excels at that.   I think we have some possibilities on defense. IF we get the right pieces in here and it doesn't have to be a dominant big.

This has been overlooked by Hawks fans and the NBA in general.  

There was and article or 2 posted about their defense (both individually and team wise) of both of them previously.

Their defense is underrated because they aren't blocking shots into the stands.

@Diesel if you call the guy 'Whitesides' one more time!!! :argh:

It's Whiteside!!  No 's' at the end!!

I don't even like the guy but at least get his name right!

Edited by kg01

10 hours ago, Diesel said:

I know that a lot of fans here are in morning and it's in these times that voices of those who want to react in a Babcockish way gets the loudest..

If we are able to sign Humph and then see him have some more minutes nightly off the bench I think it would mean more possessions for us, less for the bad guys and at least a few more wins. The series against the Cavs showed what he's got.    

• Like 1

You are right, we just need the right piece or 2, the things that really drag us down are players like Bazemore, he makes one three and then thinks he is Klay Thompson the rest of the game.  I really like him but i think we would be better off moving on.  We need more pure shooters.

In other equally interesting "little known facts", I think I've finally confirmed that @lethalweapon3 is not in fact Amin Elhassan.  I have deducted approximately 15 cool points from his total as a result and the conspiracy theory has been put to rest ... unless lethal has lied about where's he's from (which I guess is a possibility).

40 minutes ago, Hawkmoor said:

all i know is @Lurker and @JayBirdHawk  taught me the basics of how cap holds and total cap space work, so yall cant tell me nothing this morning.  :laugh:

I now have  some  CBA knowledge they gave me to approach this Hawks rebuilding:

shit-just-got-real.gif

All it took was talking about the sorry ass braves to come to a meeting of the minds regarding the cap.

For anyone wanting a quick down and dirty explanantion, check here (pages 3-5)

I'm only passing on the info that @hawksfanatic has so patiently explained about a million times previously.

• Moderators

I think Sap/Horford can still work if we 1) upgrade our wings and 2) have a real backup big contributing off the bench.      Splitter or Humphries are ok.   I'd prefer Humphries and trade Splitter.    Edy or Noel are promising in that role.      Humphries is agile, physical, and can shoot.    

The frontcourt rotation of Sap/Horf/Scott/Moose isn't going to cut it though.        Too small and too weak.  

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

I think Sap/Horford can still work if we 1) upgrade our wings and 2) have a real backup big contributing off the bench.      Splitter or Humphries are ok.   I'd prefer Humphries and trade Splitter.    Edy or Noel are promising in that role.      Humphries is agile, physical, and can shoot.    

The frontcourt rotation of Sap/Horf/Scott/Moose isn't going to cut it though.        Too small and too weak.  

This is exactly the scenario i want to happen now that i know they can keep Horford and not hurt the total cap space.  If they can swing that Noel/Covington trade for Teague,  and keep Hump and Scott, they good to go.

Edited by Hawkmoor
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, Hawkmoor said:

This is exactly the scenario i want to happen now that i know they can keep Horford and not hurt the total cap space.  If they can swing that Noel/Covington trade for Teague,  and keep Hump and Scott, they good to go.

Doubtful that the rumor is even close to true.  More importantly, we shouldn't get rid of our good PG play for a BU C. That means that we shouldn't do a dennis for Noel trade either (which makes more sense for Philly).

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Doubtful that the rumor is even close to true.  More importantly, we shouldn't get rid of our good PG play for a BU C. That means that we shouldn't do a dennis for Noel trade either (which makes more sense for Philly).

Just playing devil's advocate here.   If you think Teague is so far superior to Dennis then why would a Dennis to philly make more sense to them than acquiring Teague?   Wouldn't they want the better PG?

• Premium Member
Just now, macdaddy said:

Just playing devil's advocate here.   If you think Teague is so far superior to Dennis then why would a Dennis to philly make more sense to them than acquiring Teague?   Wouldn't they want the better PG?

Well to be clear.. I think that Teague runs our system better than Dennis.  I think Dennis is younger.. but his strength is Isoball.   I think the reason why Philly would want him over Teague is contract.  Point blank Period.  Philly would have more time with Dennis than with Teague.  They get a 1 year rental with Teague.  They get 2 years with Dennis.  That makes more sense right?  Moreover, they got rid of their Bud clone and are going to be playing PNR ball more than Likely.  That's still a nod to Dennis over Teague.  However, Teague is a better System PG than Dennis.

1 hour ago, macdaddy said:

@macdaddy  I've send we need to upgrade SG and/or SF and the bench.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@macdaddy  I've send we need to upgrade SG and/or SF and the bench.

The more I look at the numbers, the more I realize that Bazemore  may not be the guy we need to reup If we care about defense.   He played pathetically in the playoffs.

There are two extremes (unfortunately)...

Matt Barnes.  He would be the man on defense.  However, he's a headcase.

Harrison Barnes.  He's got star potential... But will he be a star??  We'd have to pay him like a star.

Baze... we know.

• Moderators

Something those numbers won't tell you... The Hawks were matched up against the Celtics in the first round who statistically have the worst front court in the league... Then we turn around and got dominated by Thompson, Love, and James. We need size in our front court and I see no problem rotating Sap and Horford at the 4. Hell, Sap at the 3 wouldn't be terrible if we had a shot blocker in the paint to give help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Also, while contesting lots of shots can (and probably is) a good measure for defensive activity etc., you could also say that the fact that people do take a lot of contested shots against Millsap and Horford is actually a sign that their rim protection is not respected.  On the other hand, players might not even consider taking a contested shot vs. Jordan, Whiteside etc., because they are that good at protecting the rim.

This does not diminish Millspas and Horfords efforts. But it does not necessarily mean tha the Hawks are good at protecting the rim.