• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

This Hawks Team Can Actually Happen (Although Most May Not Like It)

marco102

I believe the team below would make the Hawks a contender for the ECF.  Getting past Cleveland will still be really tough.   I'm a fan of Eric Gordon because I believe he will be cheap.  If he gets injured you have THjr, Korver, and DeAndre to take his place.  If he does not, the Hawks will have a player besides Dennis that can go ISO when the offense sputters in the playoffs.  I say offer 3 year $28 million deal with a player option for the third year.  I know with the salary cap rising he'll probably get $15 million.  If that's the case, then cut Tiago and spread out his cap hit over this year and next (I have to research this a little more to make sure that can actually happen).  Replace Tiago with one of the many free agent centers that can rebound and a play tough defense (Zaza anyone?).  The Hawks can sign Lin using the non tax payer mid level exception for $5.6 a year over four years with 4.5% increases.  He may also demand $10 million a year.  If so, go with a veteran point guard like Ramon Sessions or Jared Jack.   Chandler Parsons is seeking a max and the Hawks can give him $20 million per year  for  4 years.  The Hawks need scoring from the SF position and he'll provide that.  He'll be a great fit in Bud's system. Horford gets the max (I know many of you hate this, but the salary cap is not going to stop rising and his deal will not look that bad in 5 years).  I see the team below being the perfect match of defense and offense and gives the Hawks so much versatility.   Thoughts? 

PG SG SF PF Center
Starters Dennis Schröder Eric Gordon Chandler Parsons Milsap Horford
2nd Team Jeremy Lin Kyle Korver Thabo  Humphries Tiago Splitter
3rd Team DeAndre  Tim Hardway Jr. Prince Mike Muscala Taveras

Edited by marco102

27 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

So the lineup is this? 

PG-Schröder,Jack

SG-Gordon,Korver,THJ,Bembry

SF-Parsons,Thabo,Prince,Patterson

PF-Millsap,Scott,Muscala

C-Horford,Zaza,Tavares 

So how is this possible? We don't have the cap to get all of these players.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, JTB said:

So how is this possible? We don't have the cap to get all of these players.

We can go over the cap using exceptions, if not mistaken. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/atlanta-hawks/cap/

This is why the Teague trade was so important.  It allows us to do a lot in free agency. 

Edited by marco102

We are not getting both Gordon and Parsons without a sign and trade of some sort. I look for Gordon to give his home town state and the Pacers the 1st look. He has made plenty of money and may even be willing to give them a discount. If and when healthy he can still ball.

17 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Another failed thread.  Record number of these things recently

Not a fail. How about you run the cap numbers and see if it'll work.  Like I said in my original post we most likely won't get Gordon for that price. 

2 hours ago, marco102 said:

I believe the team below would make the Hawks a contender for the ECF.  Getting past Cleveland will still be really tough.   I'm a fan of Eric Gordon because I believe he will be cheap.  If he gets injured you have THjr, Korver, and DeAndre to take his place.  If he does not, the Hawks will have a player besides Dennis that can go ISO when the offense sputters in the playoffs.  I say offer 3 year $28 million deal with a player option for the third year.  I know with the salary cap rising he'll probably get $15 million.  If that's the case, then cut Tiago and spread out his cap hit over this year and next (I have to research this a little more to make sure that can actually happen).  Replace Tiago with one of the many free agent centers that can rebound and a play tough defense (Zaza anyone?).  The Hawks can sign Lin using the non tax payer mid level exception for $5.6 a year over four years with 4.5% increases.  He may also demand $10 million a year.  If so, go with a veteran point guard like Ramon Sessions or Jared Jack.   Chandler Parsons is seeking a max and the Hawks can give him $20 million per year  for  4 years.  The Hawks need scoring from the SF position and he'll provide that.  He'll be a great fit in Bud's system. Horford gets the max (I know many of you hate this, but the salary cap is not going to stop rising and his deal will not look that bad in 5 years).  I see the team below being the perfect match of defense and offense and gives the Hawks so much versatility.   Thoughts? 

PG SG SF PF Center
Starters Dennis Schröder Eric Gordon Chandler Parsons Milsap Horford
2nd Team Jeremy Lin Kyle Korver Thabo  Humphries Tiago Splitter
3rd Team DeAndre  Tim Hardway Jr. Prince Mike Muscala Taveras

Gordon would be interesting. I like the fact he can put the ball on the ground, a skillset none of the other previous starters at SG has. After watching him in NO, I'd stay away from him because of his health.

Parsons would be perfect in ATL but I don't trust his health.

Lin would probably be way more expensive. He could be a starter in Brooklyn/Houston or stay in CHA as a backup (a team he loved playing for). 

Using the stretch provision on Splitter would be nice but I would think Bud would want to give him a full year. Meanwhile, don't resign Hump and give his minutes to Tavares. He got to play this year. I think Zaza could be a starter somewhere for one of those teams that strike out on Whiteside (DAL, LAL, POR, MIA, etc.)

Sessions would be a good option. I think Jack could be had, we'll see on the 30th if BK guarantees his contract.

50 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Not a fail. How about you run the cap numbers and see if it'll work.  Like I said in my original post we most likely won't get Gordon for that price. 

After our rookies and Al's caphold we have $66 in guarantess. we have $28 mil in salary left.  Divi that up between Parsons, Zaza, Humphries, Moose, Lin and whoever else.

6 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

After our rookies and Al's caphold we have $66 in guarantess. we have $28 mil in salary left.  Divi that up between Parsons, Zaza, Humphries, Moose, Lin and whoever else.

Thanks JayBird.  I may be wrong but I thought the Non-Tax Payer Mid-Level Exemption gave us an extra $5.6 million and we have a couple more exemptions that could be used to sign some players.

Edited by marco102

What about Chandler Parsons does not scare anyone the heck away. On my end it would be money for someone who wants to play but can't past twenty minutes a game this upcoming season and his future is similar to Amare. Micro fracture is the NBA  extreme of all bad  knee surgeries. Nothing but handcuffs there.  

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

What about Chandler Parsons does not scare anyone the heck away. On my end it would be money for someone who wants to play but can't past twenty minutes a game this upcoming season and his future is similar to Amare. Micro fracture is the NBA  extreme of all bad  knee surgeries. Nothing but handcuffs there.  

All wishful thinking on my part.  I know this line up will probably never happen.  I was mainly using it as an example to show how many options the Hawks have now.  I like Parsons' offensive versatility and he can move over and play some four in small ball line ups.   Staying healthy is the big thing for him and that may cause his price to drop a bit.  I'd be the first one screaming if he gets hurt and we max him out.

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

All wishful thinking on my part.  I know this line up will probably never happen.  I was mainly using it as an example to show how many options the Hawks have now.  I like Parsons' offensive versatility and he can move over and play some four in small ball line ups.   Staying healthy is the big thing for him and that may cause his price to drop a bit.  I'd be the first one screaming if he gets hurt and we max him out.

Well I thought no one would consider Noah a thirty million a year player  ( actually never thought such a thing was possible at all for damaged goods) so I guess somebody would take that chance Parsons can last three years for a bucketload of money.  Taking pause I say, figure the odds that he last even one year for big money. We're not talking nagging injuries here. I believe everyone is losing their minds over this new cap stuff including me.

29 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Thanks JayBird.  I may be wrong but I thought the Non-Tax Payer Mid-Level Exemption gave us an extra $5.6 million and we have a couple more exemptions that could be used to sign some players.

Since we are under the cap we don't get the MLE of $5.6, but we do get the LLE of $2.5 (that's what we used to sign DMC and Baze and the contract length has a max of 2 years). There is also a veteran minimum of $1.5 (i think).

8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Well I thought no one would consider Noah a thirty million a year player  ( actually never thought such a thing was possible at all for damaged goods) so I guess somebody would take that chance Parsons can last three years for a bucketload of money.  Taking pause I say, figure the odds that he last even one year for big money. We're not talking nagging injuries here. I believe everyone is losing their minds over this new cap stuff including me.

Ha, you're right.  Every team except Cleveland has tons of money to throw around, but Cleveland has a championship and players will take discounts to play there.....the rich get richer. 

• Like 1