• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The importance of Glue Guys...

Diesel

• Premium Member

As I watch GS, I recognize Clearly that Draymond Green is their Glue Guy.  When David Lee went down a few seasons ago, the rise of Draymond Green Marked the rise of the GS Warriors.   For the  Lakers... Robert Horry and Fish were glue guys.   I guess that's why they put Fish into coaching because everywhere he went he became the glue guy.  For Us... DMC thealltimegreat was a glue guy.  When you hear guys talk about him (even the recent article about Baze, Baze talks about how much DMC meant to the team).   DMC was the catalyst for the Coach Bud Family atmosphere and on the court, DMC did whatever dirty work needed to be done.   When it came to last year, Baze stepped up and tried on the Glue guy shoes.   His not as much in on the court stuff, but his in getting the team together.   We saw the difference between his glue and DMC's glue...  It was like Elmers White glue vs. Superglue.   Now that Baze is on the Blocks... Do we have a glue guy or is this another reason to go all out after Baze?

3986163.jpg?342

• Premium Member
56 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

Doesn't matter...The Glue doesn't working in Cleveland.

We can't base all of our moves on what works against Cleveland.   IF we did, then we'd probably get knocked off by a team like Boston on our way to see Cleveland.   Just like in the draft, a GM elects to pick BPA... Well, as far as this franchise building, we have to put up the best team possible given the players that are available and plan for the next 10 years instead of the next 10 months.  

This is not the time to be Rick Sund in our franchise building and just be content with what we have.. however, this is the time to start making plans that will make us the best product on the floor possible and set the table for us to be a strong team in the future.  NO CUTTING CORNERS.

• Premium Member
11 minutes ago, Alex said:

Not having good enough players is why the Hawks can't get even win a playoff game against Cleveland.

Well, Honestly Cleveland is a very talented team that can beat you in several ways.  Hell, they are the world's champs.   We were not talented enough to beat them... however, some of it was that they gameplanned better for us.  Budball was limited without good enough shooting.  Still.  We played Cleveland very tight in 2 of the 4 games this year.  Loss the last game by 1.  One thing we have to consider is that when you play a team like Cleveland with a Superstar like Lebron, you don't have enough star power to sway the refs.  In order to beat them, you have to create an insurmountable lead and you still can't rest after that. 

People wanting to dismantle this team because we have lost to Cleveland is DAMN CRAZY.    We shouldn't be that desperate.  Championship teams don't dismantle.  When they do, they are no longer championship teams. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, Diesel said:

People wanting to dismantle this team because we have lost to Cleveland is DAMN CRAZY.    We shouldn't be that desperate.  Championship teams don't dismantle.  When they do, they are no longer championship teams. 

I'm not ready to dismantle this team...Just change a few inconsequential parts...And in my opinion, DMC and Bazemore are inconsequential parts especially as the price to keep them keeps going up.

This team wasn't even in the same ballpark as anyone legitimately competing for a title last season, and Carroll doesn't change a thing about it.

Do you realize Cleveland coasted on this team in 3 of the 4 games (to make it more embarrassing, but it's 100% true from what I saw in the finals)?

Edited by Lurker

1 hour ago, Alex said:

Not having good enough players is why the Hawks can't get even win a playoff game against Cleveland.

Alex, you're the 'glue guy' of HS.

Seriously though, I actually agree with you here.  No amount of glue can overcome a severe talent discrepancy.

• Premium Member
14 minutes ago, MrYellow said:

good player > glue guy

Always

Why not Good Player = Glue Guy??

For all of you all saying that a glue guy is inconsequential... Would you be so quick to trade Draymond Green if you're GS??  Let's make it more interesting, if you're GM for GS, would you pull the trigger on a Green for KD SNT?  Let's see here who understands Basketball and Who just plays NBA 2k16...

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Still one turnover and missing open threes in the last minutes of those games this year made sure we lost three of them. We were in those three.  Don't think LeBron's not so evil twin is out there anywhere for us to sign.  

14 minutes ago, Diesel said:

Why not Good Player = Glue Guy??

For all of you all saying that a glue guy is inconsequential... Would you be so quick to trade Draymond Green if you're GS??  Let's make it more interesting, if you're GM for GS, would you pull the trigger on a Green for KD SNT?  Let's see here who understands Basketball and Who just plays NBA 2k16...

D Green is a good player, not a glue guy. Glue guys are those complementary players that can add their contribute by doing good "marginal" thing, which of course are fundamental to succeed, but still they're marginal.

Draymond Green does not fall in this definitions, he's a central column.

All nba teams need champions first and glue guys next.

2 hours ago, Alex said:

I cannot agree with this anymore.  

Glue guy + superstar + All-Star = Championship contender ( Warriors )

Superstar + All-Star + no glue guy = Disappointing championship contender ( Clippers )

Glue guy + All-Star + Good player = Playoff contender ( Hawks )

All-Star + Good player + no glue guy = Possible 1st round disappointment ( Bulls .. and sometimes Hawks )

Glue guy + Good player + Good player = Borderline 8th seed ( Jazz )

Glue guy + Glue guy + Glue guy = hard working non-playoff team ( Bucks )

Edited by TheNorthCydeRises
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Glue guy + superstar + All-Star = Championship contender ( Warriors )

Superstar + All-Star + no glue guy = Disappointing championship contender ( Clippers )

Glue guy + All-Star + Good player = Playoff contender ( Hawks )

All-Star + Good player + no glue guy = Possible 1st round disappointment ( Bulls .. and sometimes Hawks )

Glue guy + Good player + Good player = Borderline 8th seed ( Jazz )

Glue guy + Glue guy + Glue guy = hard working non-playoff team ( Bucks )

This gave me a good chuckle, :biggrin:

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, MrYellow said:

D Green is a good player, not a glue guy.

I won't argue this...

Just point this out...

There’s only one player on this list who has redefined what it means to be a glue guy, and that’s Draymond Green.

Green has shown a glue guy can be a bona fide superstar.

Some would even argue that Green is more important to Golden State’s success than is Stephen Curry (though personally, I disagree). Either way, Draymond Green is becoming a household name, even without putting up absurd scoring numbers.

Averaging 13.8 points, 9.7 rebounds, and 7.4 assists per game, the walking triple-double was deservedly awarded an invite to the All-Star game this season for the first time in his career.

Green’s net rating is a whopping 20.2, and at home (where Golden State hasn’t lost a game in over a year), that number spikes to 22.7.

Curry is the Warriors’ gunner who has the ability to single-handedly open up a double-digit lead in .01 seconds, but Green’s across-the-board domination really ties directly in to his team’s season-long consistency, which is why it sports the 53-5 record it does.

Green’s passing ability gives the Warriors infinite possibilities on the offensive end, and his chemistry with Curry and Klay Thompson — both of whom work tirelessly to shake opponents without the ball — is often the difference between an open three or backdoor layup and a thrown-away pass.

Curry receives 44 percent of Green’s total passes, and shoots better percentages across the board (on twos and threes) when set up by No. 23.

On defense, few possess the versatility that Green does. He can literally guard five positions, and despite his 6-foot-7 stature, has effectively played center for the Warriors when Steve Kerr elects to go extra small. Green has active hands in one-on-one coverage, and is fantastic at recovering at the rim.

He is notching 1.4 steals and 1.2 blocks per game, and holds opponents to 6.7 percent lower shooting than their averages.

There was once a time when teams avoided drafting 3-4″tweeners” like Green.

• Premium Member
6 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

But when your entire team consists of glue guys the only thing you are holding together is mediocrity.

There's a difference between Specialty guys and glue guys. 

I would say that Korver is a specialty guy.  He only does one thing really well.   A glue guy can do several things.   Paul Millsap is a glue guy and he's a very good player.  Horf is a glue guy.   Baze is a glue guy.  However, that's about it. 

2 hours ago, Diesel said:

I won't argue this...

Just point this out...

Maybe we're just messing around with the definition of glue guy...

A glue guy is a not special player who does a little bit of everything, all those tiny little actions who make a team work better. 

But really good players who can do that are not glue guys...

otherwise even Sir Lebron James is a glue guy.

11 hours ago, Diesel said:

As I watch GS, I recognize Clearly that Draymond Green is their Glue Guy.  When David Lee went down a few seasons ago, the rise of Draymond Green Marked the rise of the GS Warriors.   For the  Lakers... Robert Horry and Fish were glue guys.   I guess that's why they put Fish into coaching because everywhere he went he became the glue guy.  For Us... DMC thealltimegreat was a glue guy.  When you hear guys talk about him (even the recent article about Baze, Baze talks about how much DMC meant to the team).   DMC was the catalyst for the Coach Bud Family atmosphere and on the court, DMC did whatever dirty work needed to be done.   When it came to last year, Baze stepped up and tried on the Glue guy shoes.   His not as much in on the court stuff, but his in getting the team together.   We saw the difference between his glue and DMC's glue...  It was like Elmers White glue vs. Superglue.   Now that Baze is on the Blocks... Do we have a glue guy or is this another reason to go all out after Baze?

3986163.jpg?342

Thabo would be the closest. It's just unfortunate he's not as big as DMC.