• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ty Lawson?

ThomasCredle

I think Ty Lawson is still out there and played on a cheap contract last year for Indy.   Releasing Patterson would give a roster spot and probably enough money to sign him to a one year deal.   He would bring a veteran "coach" type player for our young PG's.   Wouldn't expect a lot out of him but he could be a great mentor on the little things a NBA point has to do to be successful.   Any thoughts on if this could be a good fit for the Hawks?

He used to shoot pretty well and was fast as could be but now he needs a shooting psychologist in the worst way. Don't have a clue what happened there.       

I loved Ty three or four years ago and thought he was going to be  a solid scoring PG for years to come. He has a problem with drinking and driving and has never been close to the same player since his last bit of trouble.

If Bud thinks he can contribute, I am in; but without knowing where he is at in his life right now, I would say no.

Edited by Buzzard

He and Bud could be drinking buddies then ha ha.    I didn't realize he had off the court issues and we don't need that.    This definitely changes my thoughts on him being a good mentor.  That sucks because I remembered his game as being a good match for the way our PG's play and might teach them a trick or two.

Hopefully he has his personal issues addressed for his sake though.

Just now, JayBirdHawk said:

I'd rather a hobbled Jarrett Jack.

I would be fine with that choice too.   I just thought Lawson might come cheaper based on what he settled for last year.

Lawson was awesome just a few short years ago and has regressed big time.  Him and Bud would be a good carpool team as well.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ThomasCredle said:

I think Ty Lawson is still out there and played on a cheap contract last year for Indy.   Releasing Patterson would give a roster spot and probably enough money to sign him to a one year deal.   He would bring a veteran "coach" type player for our young PG's.   Wouldn't expect a lot out of him but he could be a great mentor on the little things a NBA point has to do to be successful.   Any thoughts on if this could be a good fit for the Hawks?

Lawson is the very definition of a guy i most certainly do NOT want mentoring anyone.  He still has not acknowledged that he has a drinking problem. 

On top of that,  he was awful last year.  Let him rehab (on and off the court) on someone else's dime(s).

I'd rather Jack or some other rando vet like freakin Donald Sloan or Mack (assuming UT no longer needs him).

3 minutes ago, Alex said:

Lawson was awesome just a few short years ago and has regressed big time.  Him and Bud would be a good carpool team as well.  

I agree his game has declined I didn't look to him to get big minutes at all or contribute much on the game floor but more too mentor the two young PG's we have because his previous play style was similar and he might be able to give them guidance on how to play and teach them some veteran tricks and moves.   

Honestly I don't want any Vet to hog too many minutes because both the young guys we have will need every minute of game time to learn and grow and I think Dennis will play better if he doesn't worry that he has someone on the bench that could replace him for making a mistake.   

We need a veteran to be a mentor and player coach on the practice floor and give advice and guidance from the bench during games.

5 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Lawson is the very definition of a guy i most certainly do NOT want mentoring anyone.  He still has not acknowledged that he has a drinking problem. 

On top of that,  he was awful last year.  Let him rehab (on and off the court) on someone else's dime(s).

I'd rather Jack or some other rando vet like freakin Donald Sloan or Mack (assuming UT no longer needs him).

I was not aware of all the off the floor issues when I suggested this idea.   Knowing it definitely change my opinion on the idea.   I just recalled how he played in Denver and thought his style was similar to what our PG's are good at.   That and we are really cap strapped now and he would be dirt cheap.

1 minute ago, ThomasCredle said:

I was not aware of all the off the floor issues when I suggested this idea.   Knowing it definitely change my opinion on the idea.   I just recalled how he played in Denver and thought his style was similar to what our PG's are good at.   That and we are really cap strapped now and he would be dirt cheap.

I hear you, brutha.  I think a team in desperation mode will give him a shot.  I just hope we find an alternative before we get to that point.

2 minutes ago, ViewsFromTheSquawk said:

I'm actually liking Malcolm....

I am too I expect him to be our number 2 PG next year.   He has pro experience and should be able to play a reserve role immediately.   I would like a cagey vet PG as our third to teach him and Dennis some tricks of the trade and vet moves and coach from the sideline on what they are seeing.