• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

K. Humphries is back!

swolehawk2

On 7/12/2016 at 1:49 PM, Thomas said:

Thinking Bud learned a lesson against the Cavs in the playoffs .Humph was more of a center than Al was in those games. If he didn't learn than it really is an unexplainable mystery.

That's why I think Kris has more to offer this team, he could actually play center and still has a decent outside shot and has better ball handling skills.

24 minutes ago, h4wkfan said:

Kris has more to offer in a very specific, limited role.  

But you are crazy if you think that Hump brings more to the table than Al. There are about 109 million reasons that show Al is better. 

Al is over hyped often injured until he started playing soft, for our team Kris offers us more. Just cause people wanted to over pay Al doesn't make him a real top NBA player.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, swanlee said:

Al is over hyped often injured until he started playing soft, for our team Kris offers us more. Just cause people wanted to over pay Al doesn't make him a real top NBA player.

The notion that Humphries is better than Al is crazy.  Humphries is a career .514 TS% which makes him a liability on offense.  He is a major downgrade from Al on defense.  Literally the only area where he represents an upgrade is on the boards.  That is why no one offered him more than 1 year for $4M.  Bear in mind that even if GMs wanted to overpay Al that has nothing to do with GMs not wanting to pay Hump much at all.  This is nothing new as the GMs and coaches who know him best have repeatedly ditched him for negligable value which would never have happened with Al:

• Traded by the Jazz for Rafael Araujo
  • Included as filler in Shawn Marion trade
  • Traded with another player for Eduardo Najera
  • Traded as filler in KG deal
  • Traded for a 2nd round pick
  • Traded as filler for Morris and waived

I'm thrilled to have him on board but let's not pretend he has been in the discussion for an All-Star selection or All-NBA nod or anything.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

The notion that Humphries is better than Al is crazy.  Humphries is a career .514 TS% which makes him a liability on offense.  He is a major downgrade from Al on defense.  Literally the only area where he represents an upgrade is on the boards.  That is why no one offered him more than 1 year for $4M.  Bear in mind that even if GMs wanted to overpay Al that has nothing to do with GMs not wanting to pay Hump much at all.  This is nothing new as the GMs and coaches who know him best have repeatedly ditched him for negligable value which would never have happened with Al:

• Traded by the Jazz for Rafael Araujo
  • Included as filler in Shawn Marion trade
  • Traded with another player for Eduardo Najera
  • Traded as filler in KG deal
  • Traded for a 2nd round pick
  • Traded as filler for Morris and waived

I'm thrilled to have him on board but let's not pretend he has been in the discussion for an All-Star selection or All-NBA nod or anything.

I would like to point out however, that other than Howard, Humphries is the only player on our roster to average a double-double (2 seasons) in his career, (which is one more season than Al ever did, by the way.)

3 hours ago, swanlee said:

3 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I would like to point out however, that other than Howard, Humphries is the only player on our roster to average a double-double (2 seasons) in his career, (which is one more season than Al ever did, by the way.)

Don't let your hate for the guy cloud your judgement in terms of overall basketball skill. Al is a better player.

• Moderators
16 minutes ago, Watchman said:

He is an excellent rebounder.  If given enough minutes, he should have a double double because he will get the rebounds and he just needs then to hit that 10.0 mark in point per game which is nothing remotely special like he did in averaging exactly 10.0 point in 2010-11.  Put another way, he has 1 season in his career averaging >10.0 point per game but always averages at least 10 points per 36 (as does basically everyone in the NBA) so if you give him around 30 minutes per game he should get that double double.  His challenge is not being good enough to get enough minutes.  His career high rpg other than those two seasons is 6.5 (scoring 8.0) and that is a product of him not being a big enough part of the rotation to get more minutes - not a reflection of his rebounding or scoring rate.

1 minute ago, AHF said:

He is an excellent rebounder.  If given enough minutes, he should have a double double because he will get the rebounds and he just needs then to hit that 10.0 mark in point per game which is nothing remotely special like he did in averaging exactly 10.0 point in 2010-11.  Put another way, he has 1 season in his career averaging >10.0 point per game but always averages at least 10 points per 36 (as does basically everyone in the NBA) so if you give him around 30 minutes per game he should get that double double.  His challenge is not being good enough to get enough minutes.  His career high rpg other than those two seasons is 6.5 (scoring 8.0) and that is a product of him not being a big enough part of the rotation to get more - not a failure in his rebounding rate.

I know Alice is a better player, but Humphries offsets some of that difference with banging, hitting the boards, and hustling.  Besides, Alice is just flat out wimpy.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Watchman said:

I know Alice is a better player, but Humphries offsets some of that difference with banging, hitting the boards, and hustling.  Besides, Alice is just flat out wimpy.

He has a lot more weaknesses as well, though.  That is why no GM (including Budcox) is willing to pay for him and no coach on a real team is wiling to give him a major role on the team.

He is perfect for a role player off the bench to come in and bang and hustle for a few minutes every game.  

• Moderators
40 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

This is better than that and so on and so forth.  Really?  The real argument is not who is better,

but who is really worth the $$$ that he will be paid.

One player will be paid 4 times what the other one is.  That means he's 4 times better, doesn't it?

I believe that Atlanta got their money's worth when they signed this player.  The other player left

because the Hawks refused to pay the maximum and because Boston fans are far superior.

I'm happy.  Are you??

Still peeved we didn't get to see if a Sap / Horford / Howard frontcourt could make us championship contenders.  Guys like Humphries make us a better team but don't change our ability to compete for a championship.   Plus, let's not act like we could only have one or the other.  If we resigned Horf, we would have the full MLE which could have been used to sign Hump to the same deal if we wanted.

• Like 3

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, AHF said:

Still peeved we didn't get to see if a Sap / Horford / Howard frontcourt could make us championship contenders.  Guys like Humphries make us a better team but don't change our ability to compete for a championship.   Plus, let's not act like we could only have one or the other.  If we resigned Horf, we would have the full MLE which could have been used to sign Hump to the same deal if we wanted.

I'm late to this thread so someone may have already made this point, but that Sap / Horford / Howard frontcourt had to have been enticing to think about for Horford.   Unless he really didn't like Howard.    I mean why not give that a go.    He was obviously just hurt by the initial offer.    The Hawks should have signed him for whatever as they could always trade Horford barring injury.

Plus, I think Horford has been convinced that he is not as effective at PF.   In his ajc interview he said "remember there was a time when i wanted to be PF".     

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, AHF said:

That is the frustrating thing for me.  He stays with the team for all these years with his father publicly complaining about him having to bang with bigs.  He obviously no longer wants to bang with bigs but still does a lot of really good things.  We sign the big that will do the things he no longer wants to do and put us in a position to have arguably the best frontcourt in the league and he jumps to a team where he will at best again be the best big on a mediocre team.  Why not give it a shot after all the work you have put in?  Just sign a 1+1 if  you want to see and then you can opt out for a bigger deal next year if money is the big driver.  But to jump ship right when the team looks ready to peak?  Frustrating.

I'm thinking that he thought Durant would join him.   Plus i think he really decided a change of scenery would be good.   I can't blame him for that.