• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shaq could've been with the Hawks in 96

phoostal

I don't believe the article. It's BS. Not even Kasten was that stupid. After the fact bs articles 20 years later are full of crap. Shaq was going to the Lakers no matter what.

18 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I don't believe the article. It's BS. Not even Kasten was that stupid. After the fact bs articles 20 years later are full of crap. Shaq was going to the Lakers no matter what.

Know what .... I'm thinking you're closer to right than wrong.  Gotta create the illusion that LAL wasn't the one and only destination.   Stories seem semi-plausible I guess.  Kasten wasn't that big an idiot.  Holding up Shaq to keep Laettner or Mookie?  Nah

3 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Very interesting article. Good read. And if anyone doesn't think Kasten was that stupid, then you weren't paying attention during his reign.

No I know he was stupid but nobody would pass up on shaq...that's just a fake a$$ lying article.

• Moderators

We all know Kasten wasn't offered a trade for Shaq for Mookie or Laettner and turned it down.

Here is my read on how that might have realistically played out:

Agent:  You need to get rid of Mookie or Laettner so you've got enough money to sign Shaq if you want him to really consider you.

Kasten:  You mean you want me to get rid of one of them and then hope Shaq doesn't accept an offer somewhere else and Orlando doesn't go over the top to avoid losing Shaq to a competitor in the same division?

Agent:  Yes.  It is your only shot to sign Shaq.  He has you on his list but you need to free up space for him.

Kasten:  I can't gamble on giving up one of our core guys on the chance that Shaq might sign with Atlanta.  WLOC.

Agent:  Go ahead and make plans for the third round of the playoffs because you guys aren't sniffing it.  Best of luck.

click

Kasten:  Hmmm...other free agency options.  What to choose.  All I know is I want to sex Mutombo...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

No I know he was stupid but nobody would pass up on shaq...that's just a fake a$$ lying article.

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's fake. The guy was obviously connected with the situation. He obviously says he "still has notes." If anything he said is untrue, I'm sure we'll hear from some of the parties involved over the next few days if they dispute any of it.

Everything was laid out in a fairly straightforward easy to see manner. It made perfect sense to me, especially in light of Dwights comments the other day on that podcast with Shaq about how Orlando botched both Howard's and Shaq's situations there.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, AHF said:

We all know Kasten wasn't offered a trade for Shaq for Mookie or Laettner and turned it down.

Here is my read on how that might have realistically played out:

Agent:  You need to get rid of Mookie or Laettner so you've got enough money to sign Shaq if you want him to really consider you.

Kasten:  You mean you want me to get rid of one of them and then hope Shaq doesn't accept an offer somewhere else and Orlando doesn't go over the top to avoid losing Shaq to a competitor in the same division?

Agent:  Yes.  It is your only shot to sign Shaq.  He has you on his list but you need to free up space for him.

Kasten:  I can't gamble on giving up one of our core guys on the chance that Shaq might sign with Atlanta.  WLOC.

Agent:  Go ahead and make plans for the third round of the playoffs because you guys aren't sniffing it.  Best of luck.

click

Kasten:  Hmmm...other free agency options.  What to choose.  All I know is I want to sex Mutombo...

In the article it clearly states that after crunching the numbers, it would likely have been Steve Smith that had to be the person moved, since Kasten was so reluctant to part with Mookie or Laetner (which was effing stupid). And the Shaq camp wanted to keep Smith, but move one or both of Mookie/Laetner - which obviously made more sense.) It was Kasten's reluctance to move one or both of those guys instead of Smitty which cost us a chance at Shaq - according to this agent.

Edited by RandomFan
  • Like 2

• Moderators
Just now, RandomFan said:

In the article it clearly states that after crunching the numbers, it would likely have been Steve Smith that had to be the person moved, since Kasten was so reluctant to part with Mookie or Laetner (which was effing stupid).

Here is the part that I bet motivated Kasten:

Eventually, Atlanta, which had become a legitimate contingency option

Atlanta wasn't giving up one of its "core" players so it could be a contingency option for Shaq.

29 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's fake. The guy was obviously connected with the situation. He obviously says he "still has notes." If anything he said is untrue, I'm sure we'll hear from some of the parties involved over the next few days if they dispute any of it.

Everything was laid out in a fairly straightforward easy to see manner. It made perfect sense to me, especially in light of Dwights comments the other day on that podcast with Shaq about how Orlando botched both Howard's and Shaq's situations there.

So you believe anything anyone tells you huh? Gullible Gus is ur new nickname..

31 minutes ago, AHF said:

Here is the part that I bet motivated Kasten:

Atlanta wasn't giving up one of its "core" players so it could be a contingency option for Shaq.

Unlike the Lakers...and we see how that played out. Hindsight is 20/20, but all Kasten would have to do is get handshake agreements that if he did end up moving player X or Y that Shaq would indeed sign with us. That's the kind of thing that happens nowdays all the time. I'm sure that was an option then. But Kasten appears to have been so reluctant to moving Mookie or Laetner that talks never progressed to that stage. If true, then all of that blame lies on the shoulders of Kasten.

I'm not gullible and I don't believe everything I read or hear.  However,  why would this person lie?   It's 20 years after the fact and the Hawks are a very small part of the story.  So really no need to lie.   As a life long Brave and Hawk fan since 82, yes Kasten is that dumb.  

• Like 3