• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Shaq could've been with the Hawks in 96

phoostal

16 hours ago, phoostal said:

In the article below look at the possible teams Shaq was thinking about going to in the summer of 96.  The Hawks were a real good possibility instead of the Lakers.  However, Stan Kasten nixed the deal because he didn't want to get rid of Mookie or Lattener.  Unbelievable, Kasten is stupid and should have been fired on the spot.  I can't imagine what that move could have done for this franchise. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/the-inside-story-how-the-orlando-magic-let-the-lakers-steal-shaquille-oneal/

Shaq would not have accepted a 7 year contract averaging 10 to 15 million per year, when he was looking for $20 million per year.  Don't know why Kasten called him in the first place with that low of an offer.  We had no chance from the git-go.

Edited by Watchman

• Moderators
14 hours ago, RandomFan said:

You miss the point of getting handshake agreements negating the possibility of being a contingency option. We make the moves if you agree to sign here once those moves are made. If not, then we don't make those moves. 

Shaq would never have given a handshake agreement.  Come on.  

He has already said that he wanted the hollywood exposure and endorsements of LA.  In this very article, it says Atlanta wasn't on his initial list and was never more than a contingency option.  A contingency option means something  you'll consider if your top choices fall through.   He was never going to Atlanta over LA if they were offering comparable dollars.  Please.

I think there are all kinds of reasons to crap on Kasten but this one doesn't add up for me because Shaq was never going to give the commitment to Atlanta until other markets were ruled out.

20 minutes ago, AHF said:

Dwight would never have given a handshake agreement.  Come on.  

He has already said he didn't want to be in Atlanta with all of the personal issues that come with family and friends at that point in his life.  You think he is giving the Hawks a firm commitment of any kind that he is on his way?  He has already said that he wanted the hollywood exposure and endorsements of LA.  In this very article, it says Atlanta wasn't on his initial list and was never more than a contingency option.  A contingency option means something  you'll consider if your top choices fall through.   He was never going to Atlanta over LA if they were offering comparable dollars.  Please.

I think there are all kinds of reasons to crap on Kasten but this one doesn't add up for me because Dwight was never going to give the commitment to Atlanta until other markets were ruled out.

We are talking about Shaq, not Dwight.

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, RandomFan said:

We are talking about Shaq, not Dwight.

Yeah - I broke away during the middle of my post writing about Shaq and wrote the rest about Dwight.  Dumb.

I editted so you can see the Shaq part.  Bottomline is the same:  Shaq wanted more money than Kasten was offering and Atlanta was not at the top of his list meaning that other teams had to fall through before he would commit.

• Premium Member

I think the operative words here is "contingency option".  What's that mean... that we were his second choice?  Does that mean wait and see what Orlando offered?

So here's my problem with that.  What if we got rid of Mookie and Laettner and then Shaq said.. "I'm staying in Orlando"??

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I think the operative words here is "contingency option".  What's that mean... that we were his second choice?  Does that mean wait and see what Orlando offered?

So here's my problem with that.  What if we got rid of Mookie and Laettner and then Shaq said.. "I'm staying in Orlando"??

Everyone had to deal with the risk of Orlando coming over the top to offer more money than anyone else could offer.  

As a contingency option, we also had to deal with the risk of him leaving for LA or another more preferred location for a similar offer from Atlanta.  That is why I am skeptical of how reasonable it was to get rid of those guys for a chance at signing Shaq. 

I read "contingency option" as similar to fallback option and the fact that we weren't even on the initial list reinforces that reading.

• Like 1

We weren't 1st or 2nd option. Beside LAL, the list included Knicks, Bulls and Pistons.  Again we weren't on the initial list.

So at best we would be low man on the totem pole and spot #5.

4 hours ago, Diesel said:

I think there would have to be a deal in place first.
They traded Augmon and Grant Long to the Pistons for 2 picks , in order to sign Mutombo

8 hours ago, AHF said:

Shaq would never have given a handshake agreement.  Come on.  

He has already said that he wanted the hollywood exposure and endorsements of LA.  In this very article, it says Atlanta wasn't on his initial list and was never more than a contingency option.  A contingency option means something  you'll consider if your top choices fall through.   He was never going to Atlanta over LA if they were offering comparable dollars.  Please.

I think there are all kinds of reasons to crap on Kasten but this one doesn't add up for me because Shaq was never going to give the commitment to Atlanta until other markets were ruled out.

Yes, this very article says Atlanta wasn't on his initial list. And then goes on to say every member of his initial list evaporated. At one point we were likely the top option left on the table, which is why Shaq's representation talked with Kasten in the first place. Remember, the Lakers didn't start out as one of the top options either - it was the Knicks, Pistons, and Heat. So one of the "contingency options" that wasn't even on the initial list is in fact the team that came away with Shaq in the end. 

But then Kasten blew the whole thing by making Laettner and Mookie untouchable. We may not have gotten Shaq, we may have. That's not the point. The point is Kasten blew it before we even got to any serious stages of discussion by being an idiot and choosing Laettner and Mookie over Shaq.

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

For the umpteenth time, you don't actually make the trades until AFTER you get the agreement from Shaq. You can work out the trades with other teams before hand and have them ready to go. If Shaq says yes, then you make the trades. If he says no, then you don't. This isn't Rocket Surgery.

2 hours ago, pimp said:

I think there would have to be a deal in place first.
They traded Augmon and Grant Long to the Pistons for 2 picks , in order to sign Mutombo

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/attachment.php?attachmentid=279528&d=1440140368

• Like 1

• Moderators

Pimp is right.  There was no deal where Shaq was willing to commit to the Hawks.  In contrast, Mutombo did make a deal and promised to join the team once the salaries were dealt and low and behold they were dealt.

8 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If anyone thinks we were ever A TOP OPTION I have a jar of mountain air to sell you.

I kept trying to tell them that yesterday and just gave up...screw it.

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If anyone thinks we were ever A TOP OPTION I have a jar of mountain air to sell you.

Well...it's clear I just said that we likely were the top option at one point, so this is directed at me as a personal attack. Not gonna lie one bit, but this shit right here pisses me right off. It's my opinion, and I made a logical case for it. It's a hypothetical and people can disagree all they want since we'll never know for certain.

But this response is nothing more than a condescending shot at my intelligence, with absolutely zero evidence to substantiate the claim. You don't know that we weren't, do you? no, you don't.

I was on here trying to be a little nicer today after feeling I'd gotten sucked into some combative situations yesterday with some normally fine folks. And perhaps I'm over-reacting and will regret this later. But right now this just sent me from happy to TICKED OFF in about 2 seconds - and frankly I didn't expect such a post from you of all people.

editted to remove **** style profanity

• Moderators

You transformed that into a personal insult by taking it way out of context.  She is saying she finds it completely implausible.  Not a personal shot fired.  Cool down.

2 hours ago, RandomFan said:

Well...it's clear I just said that we likely were the top option at one point, so this is directed at me as a personal attack. Not gonna lie one bit, but this shit right here pisses me right off. It's my opinion, and I made a logical case for it. It's a hypothetical and people can disagree all they want since we'll never know for certain.

But this response is nothing more than a condescending shot at my intelligence, with absolutely zero evidence to substantiate the claim. You don't know that we weren't, do you? no, you don't.

I was on here trying to be a little nicer today after feeling I'd gotten sucked into some combative situations yesterday with some normally fine folks. And perhaps I'm over-reacting and will regret this later. But right now this just sent me from happy to TICKED OFF in about 2 seconds - and frankly I didn't expect such a post from you of all people.

editted to remove **** style profanity

Personnal???? Well I never.

That's on you buddy, feeling and seeing things thats just not there.