• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott DOES play good defense

RedDawg#8

What would make the choice for Scott easier is if he maintains the defensive fervor he worked up in 2015-16. The Hawks' defensive rating with Scott on the floor – 95.3 points allowed per 100 possessions – was among the NBA's best for any single player. He played physically and did a good job denying opponents from getting to their favorite spots on the floor.

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/millsaps-absence-gives-deep-frontcourt-chance-shine

Good article about our PF depth going in to camp. 

I remember having this debate about how the myth about his bad defense was no longer true, and how he along with most of our 2nd unit sparked some amazing defensive runs that allowed us to get back in games.

Long story short, Scott has made himself into a very effective defender to go along with his outside shot. He is not a liability anymore and overall is just a really good two way player now

• Like 1

How I see the depth chart:

Shredder/Jack/Delaney

3zus/THJr/Bembry

Blaze/Thabo/Prince

Sap/Hump/Scott

D8/Splitter/Edy

Replace Scott with Moose if there's bad news on the Molly front. Don't see Scott getting the 15mpg he has been, or Moose making the team is Scott isn't convicted.

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, RedDawg#8 said:

http://www.nba.com/hawks/features/millsaps-absence-gives-deep-frontcourt-chance-shine

Good article about our PF depth going in to camp. 

I remember having this debate about how the myth about his bad defense was no longer true, and how he along with most of our 2nd unit sparked some amazing defensive runs that allowed us to get back in games.

Long story short, Scott has made himself into a very effective defender to go along with his outside shot. He is not a liability anymore and overall is just a really good two way player now

I argued this all season long!  Plus his rebounding was better last year too! 

• Like 1

My depth chart:

Schröder/Delaney/Jack

Korver/THjr/Bembry

Baze/Thabo/Prince

Millsap/Scott/Humphries

Dwight/Splitter/Edy

Jack will not be ready for opening night.

As long as Scott has the same focus and intensity he did last year (and he's not in jail) he won't lose his backup role behind Millsap.

Mooses' standing is dependent on 2 things:

1. Millsap - will he be ready to go full bore or play limited minutes after knee procedure.

2. Scott's legal situation 

If Millsap is limited for any time -the scenario I see playing out is Moose sticks around, Jack gets cut since he won't be ready.  When Millsap is back to full strength, Moose is released since his contract becomes fully guaranteed in Jan.  Jack is brought back for the stretch run - buy then he'd be recovered and hopefully in basketball shape as well.

I think Moose is cut regardless. I think his spot should be contingent upon whether or not we want Edy long term which we probably do. Otherwise Moose hasn't done much to make himself stand out. Last year was the perfect opportunity for him to make a case for himself and he seemed to regress a little forcing us to get Humphries. Us resigning Humph lets me know the staff still doesn't trust Moose as the emergency big. 

Our 5 man big rotation will be D8, Sap, Splitter, Scott, and Humph. Whoever makes the cut between Edy and Moose will be DNP/CD 90% of the season anyways so what makes the most sense is to let Moose go and continue the developmental investment in Tavares.

I can see why most people think it comes down to Scott vs Moose as they both are similar age and experience and Scotts future is unknown. But talent and production wise it's not close, Moose should have played his way in to a bigger role last season and couldn't, I remember analysts even giving him high praise whenever he was subbed in, I just think we have gotten as much as we could have ever hoped for out of a 2nd round player from a small college. The deeper we get the tougher it is to hold on to fan favorites like him

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

My depth chart:

Schröder/Delaney/Jack

Korver/THjr/Bembry

Baze/Thabo/Prince

Millsap/Scott/Humphries

Dwight/Splitter/Edy

Jack will not be ready for opening night.

As long as Scott has the same focus and intensity he did last year (and he's not in jail) he won't lose his backup role behind Millsap.

Mooses' standing is dependent on 2 things:

1. Millsap - will he be ready to go full bore or play limited minutes after knee procedure.

2. Scott's legal situation 

If Millsap is limited for any time -the scenario I see playing out is Moose sticks around, Jack gets cut since he won't be ready.  When Millsap is back to full strength, Moose is released since his contract becomes fully guaranteed in Jan.  Jack is brought back for the stretch run - buy then he'd be recovered and hopefully in basketball shape as well.

Seriously stop f*ckin wit Jack. Lol. Did he do something to you? I agree with all other rotations though Bembry might get JR.'s spot in 2nd unit. Also I'd place Hump ahead of Scott.

When Scott is on the floor it will be because we need offense no matter how much he has improved in other areas. He can score from pretty much anywhere on the floor these days and that strong skill will probably be needed often. He will help smooth out some poor offensive games for us but D8 in the paint is now going to really change that scoring dynamic for us to begin with. We have a large array of ways to get points with our roster.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Seriously stop f*ckin wit Jack. Lol. Did he do something to you? I agree with all other rotations though Bembry might get JR.'s spot in 2nd unit. Also I'd place Hump ahead of Scott.

Stop stalking me bro (in my don't taze me bro voice, lol).

How can you agree with all other rotations but sub Bembry for THJr and Humphries for Scott? Make your own depth chart.

The only way Hump plays ahead of Scott is if 1. Scott is not on the team, 2. Millsap misses time and Bud wants Scott in his regular backup spot and starts Hump. Scott pairs better with Splitter in the 2nd unit. Besides, I think Splitter will be on limited minutes to start the season as well so Hump will play some at Center. Mmmmmm.....another case for Moose to be retained if Millsap and Splitter are in anyway limited. So yeah...Bye Jack! :tongue:

Any GTers wanna fight......

giphy.gif

bitch-sheldon-subtitle-text-the-big-bang

7 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Stop stalking me bro (in my don't taze me bro voice, lol).

How can you agree with all other rotations but sub Bembry for THJr and Humphries for Scott? Make your own depth chart.

The only way Hump plays ahead of Scott is if 1. Scott is not on the team, 2. Millsap misses time and Bud wants Scott in his regular backup spot and starts Hump. Scott pairs better with Splitter in the 2nd unit. Besides, I think Splitter will be on limited minutes to start the season as well so Hump will play some at Center. Mmmmmm.....another case for Moose to be retained if Millsap and Splitter are in anyway limited. So yeah...Bye Jack! :tongue:

Any GTers wanna fight......

giphy.gif

bitch-sheldon-subtitle-text-the-big-bang

@Gray Mule you got a fight breaking out at the family reunion!  Spud2 drank the last jar o' shine and Bird ain't havin' it.

GT-hate aside, I do hear you.  However, I think this team suffers from a huge deficiency in leadership which Jack provides in spades.  So much so that I think it warrants keeping him over Musc and the few minutes he provides spelling Splitts (precursor to 'we got tha Splitts' which will emerge in chat this season).

Lastly, don't pick fights with GT.  We got hillbilly nerds on deck!

Kung Fu Hillbilly

Even @Spud2Nique checkin' in with a come at me bro pose ...

Come At Me Bro

Wait, dude, it ain't supposed to be seggsy.

kg01

Naw.  Them two ain't fighting.  When my two Hawksquawk grand kids start fighting each other,

EVERYONE will know it.  This is just their way of saying "I love you" to each other without

stirring up the Hawksquawk faithful.

It's wonderful that, even before the pre season games begin, posters can get excited enough about

our beloved Hawks and how deep our bench seems to be, we can agree to disagree about who fits where.

Hawks have more very good players than they have roster spots.  What a great problem!

• Like 1