• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who gets cut / traded to get the roster down to 15?

AHF

Who gets cut or traded?  

38 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

I don't think you're wrong, however, the greatest ability is 'availability' and he's had basically none so far for us.

I'd cut Walter too, honestly.  He's progressing but really slowly.

On an unrelated note, work on your lateral quickness Budz.  Geez, dude got wiped out but shouldn't have been out there anyways.  It's the preseason, Brover Cleveland.

Edy is much better than he was last year. Much better.

• Like 4

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I like what I've seen from him too.  I'll be ticked off if we cut him.  The choice won't be easy for Bud but whoever he picks better contribute.  I.e., not play like Moose did last year.

10 minutes ago, AHF said:

I like what I've seen from him too.  I'll be ticked off if we cut him.  The choice won't be easy for Bud but whoever he picks better contribute.  I.e., not play like Moose did last year.

It won't be easy at all

21 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

"Much"?  Yeah, I can see that.  However, he was coming from a long way from being an actual contributor to a playoff team.  He's still blood raw offensively, is slow afoot and prone to foul when up against real (rotation) players IMHO.  He's always going to go for the pump fake at this point and shows a low-ish dBBIQ.  He's still a year away from contributing.  Again, IMHO.

This is indeed a tough call on who to cut.  I'm not high on Muscala but he legitimately can give us more than Edy today although Walter is certainly the better prospect.

Would us having a dleague affiliate help here?  I don't know how the 'rights' and roster spot thing works.

• Premium Member

Now that we have intel on Jack's status, I'm converting.... previously thought THjr would be dispatched one way or another.

But... it's not  alright now. He's not Jumpin Jack Flash. So, he's out. For now.

There is no real consequence to cutting Jack, IF you buy-in to the idea that your 3rd pg can be a role temporarily held down by any of Baze, THjr,  or Bembry. And I have to believe THjr's been getting those PG minutes for that very reason, and it sounds like he's capable of shouldering some of those.

But zooming out... what we still  don't know but strongly suspect is that Mike Scott can't possibly expect to make it through the season, and possibly can't expect to make it through a month, without the legal situation sidelining him.

So, OPTIMALLY, what happens is you've got Scott at least until Splitter gets back, and the domino effect being that Moose takes some minutes at the 5 that he wouldn't ordinarily for now. Then, when Splitter gets back, that's the first next point in the timeline that you re-evaluate where things stand. The second point is either when Jack's healthy, and you can look to re-sign him... or, when Scott's situation gets resolved.

38 minutes ago, kg01 said:

"Much"?  Yeah, I can see that.  However, he was coming from a long way from being an actual contributor to a playoff team.  He's still blood raw offensively, is slow afoot and prone to foul when up against real (rotation) players IMHO.  He's always going to go for the pump fake at this point and shows a low-ish dBBIQ.  He's still a year away from contributing.  Again, IMHO.

This is indeed a tough call on who to cut.  I'm not high on Muscala but he legitimately can give us more than Edy today although Walter is certainly the better prospect.

Would us having a dleague affiliate help here?  I don't know how the 'rights' and roster spot thing works.

He's a 12th to 15th man. No one in that spot is expected to be a playoff contributor. If they are and know it, they would want to be traded for more minutes. 

To me, the battle is for 11th man. 

We know Humphries and Splitter are in the rotation. Moose and Scott are the only ones left for PF. 

Prince, Edy and Bembry are 13th, 14th and 15th. 

Delaney is 12th like Mack was last year when Jack is back. 

No point in having the 6th big be rotational and never play. He won't even be in the rotation just by NBA rules alone. 

48 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

He's a 12th to 15th man. No one in that spot is expected to be a playoff contributor. If they are and know it, they would want to be traded for more minutes. 

I don't mean someone expected to come in and lead us in a playoff game.  Moreso referring to someone capable of playing minutes during the season thus allowing us to get/maintain playoff positioning.  It's likely D8 will miss time this season.  Would we be comfortable with Walter in the rotation for an extended period of time?  I don't think so.

32 minutes ago, hazer said:

No way they ship Edy out. Scott is gone...

Why not?  You could be right about Scott considering he hasn't really played much in preseason.  Then again, were they showcasing Musc?  I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.  I'd be cutting dudes and changing my mind then calling them back in.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, kg01 said:

I don't mean someone expected to come in and lead us in a playoff game.  Moreso referring to someone capable of playing minutes during the season thus allowing us to get/maintain playoff positioning.  It's likely D8 will miss time this season.  Would we be comfortable with Walter in the rotation for an extended period of time?  I don't think so.

Why not?  You could be right about Scott considering he hasn't really played much in preseason.  Then again, were they showcasing Musc?  I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions.  I'd be cutting dudes and changing my mind then calling them back in.

They could be showcasing Moose but I can't see anyone in the league falling for that.   Not that there aren't teams that could use him.   

8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

They could be showcasing Moose but I can't see anyone in the league falling for that.   Not that there aren't teams that could use him.   

I love Musky but I'm not sure you could even showcase him if you tried. Lol.

11 minutes ago, Spud2Nique said:

I love Musky but I'm not sure you could even showcase him if you tried. Lol.

I don't think you're wrong.  I just don't understand why we love him so much then?

16 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I don't think you're wrong.  I just don't understand why we love him so much then?

Well he's been workin hard for his spot...also the man bun ..that's something...

I was ready to be done with Scott before last season, but then he had a couple of strong months during the regular season and a great series against Boston. I was ready to be done with Moose before this season, but then he apparently had an amazing offseason and he has looked good during the preseason. I obviously value what Scott has done in the real games more (especially if that 3pt shooting from last season wasn't a fluke), but does anyone really know if he'll be available to help us down the stretch with his legal issues? And maybe Muscala is actually a better player now. Scott isn't known for his consistency and Moose is 3 years younger. His length is definitely an advantage with the question marks that are Tiago and Edy. 

It's too tough of a decision for me to make (since they definitely consult with me) without being at the practices or speaking with Scott's lawyer. Edy could also be the target, but I hope not unless they're convinced he'll never be an NBA player. 

• Premium Member

re: Keeping Moose...

On the one hand, I've argued extremely persuasively (can't you tell by all of his admirers in this thread?) that Moose is essentially tracking with Zaza's career, with just a point or two better scoring, and a rebound or two worse production there.

On the other... my real reason for being a Moose fan.... I just love having a player on the roster whose nickname is Moose... a football nickname in a basketball uni... and s'helpme, he even shoots the 3 decently sometimes. What's not to love?

:D

• Like 1

• Premium Member

If we cut somebody I'm guessing it has to be Scott. I still think a trade could be worked out though and Splitter and Muscala will be the odd ones out there. I doubt JJ or Timmy Jr are heading anywhere.

• Premium Member

If I may.... as long as Splitter is hurt, I'm not sure I see the logic in thinking they're going to go ahead and cut anyone from the low post, when in fact, there is no cost to slicing off the roster another injured player whose contract is inconsequential.

Someone set me straight. I must be missing something.

• Moderators
11 hours ago, sturt said:

If I may.... as long as Splitter is hurt, I'm not sure I see the logic in thinking they're going to go ahead and cut anyone from the low post, when in fact, there is no cost to slicing off the roster another injured player whose contract is inconsequential.

Someone set me straight. I must be missing something.

You mean they will get rid of Splitter?   I think Bud loves Splitter, has fantasies of Splitter being a force come playoff time, and his salary is like $9 million.   So I'm not sure we could trade him without taking a player back and that seems expensive to just cut.   

• Moderators
15 hours ago, sturt said:

re: Keeping Moose...

On the one hand, I've argued extremely persuasively (can't you tell by all of his admirers in this thread?) that Moose is essentially tracking with Zaza's career, with just a point or two better scoring, and a rebound or two worse production there.

On the other... my real reason for being a Moose fan.... I just love having a player on the roster whose nickname is Moose... a football nickname in a basketball uni... and s'helpme, he even shoots the 3 decently sometimes. What's not to love?

:D

Sir, I served with Zaza. I knew Zaza. Zaza was a friend of mine. Sir, Moose is no Zaza.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

You mean they will get rid of Splitter?   I think Bud loves Splitter, has fantasies of Splitter being a force come playoff time, and his salary is like $9 million.   So I'm not sure we could trade him without taking a player back and that seems expensive to just cut.   

..."I'm not sure I see the logic in thinking they're going to go ahead and cut anyone from the low post, when in fact, there is no cost to slicing off the roster another injured player whose contract is inconsequential."...

Think you may have read that one too fast. I'm speaking of a player who you can pick back up as easily as you cut him since he's only making the minimum.