his annual salary comes into play when he has missed a certain numbers

of games.  Have no idea if this is true or not.  If it is true, we're getting

close to that number. 

If, and that's a big if, this is how it is, Hawks would be crazy to play him

a week or two before the deadline.

If any one knows anything, feel free to share.  I don't.  Just an idea to

think about.

:aikido:

You are cirrect. Including games missed last season and this season, insurance is now paying Splitter's contract.

• Moderators
14 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

You are cirrect. Including games missed last season and this season, insurance is now paying Splitter's contract.

What they can't have is him return and then go back out because that restarts the insurance clock.  Better to make sure he is ready to sustain his health before bringing him back if the financial side is a serious consideration.

2 hours ago, AHF said:

What they can't have is him return and then go back out because that restarts the insurance clock.  Better to make sure he is ready to sustain his health before bringing him back if the financial side is a serious consideration.

@AHF  I don;t think it matters at this point.  IIRC Insurance pays 80% of the yearly salary depending on the number of games missed. Since he has already accumulated the missed games the insurance payout is still 80%. So the Hawks would pay 20%.

According to the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the insurance policy kicks in after a 41-game deductible. When that is reached, the team gets back 80 percent of the remaining base salary.

Note (this is interesting): 

Under NBA rules, every team has to pay for insurance for their top five-paid players, if offered by the league insurance policy issuer, MetLife.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@AHF  I don;t think it matters at this point.  IIRC Insurance pays 80% of the yearly salary depending on the number of games missed. Since he has already accumulated the missed games the insurance payout is still 80%. So the Hawks would pay 20%.

So does the team actually have to pay for insurance on every player or just the top 5?  Does that include Splitter?

• Moderators
29 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

The missing word for what you quoted is that the team gets back 80% of the remaining base salary "for the additional games he misses."  (It is missing from the text you quoted - not that you misquoted it.)

Going forward, the issue is whether the deductible resets when he returns to active play.  I think it does but could be wrong.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

The missing word for what you quoted is that the team gets back 80% of the remaining base salary "for the additional games he misses."  (It is missing from the text you quoted - not that you misquoted it.)

Going forward, the issue is whether the deductible resets when he returns to active play.  I think it does but could be wrong.

Aaah, I  see what you mean.

The way I now interpret it, is The Hawks will be gettimg back 80% of games 42-81 wether he plays or not. Or maybe not, lol.

Does the games missed last season also come into play.

I think @lethalweapon3 posted a tweet awhile back that referenced insurance kicking in which would have included games missed from last season.

2 hours ago, macdaddy said:

So does the team actually have to pay for insurance on every player or just the top 5?  Does that include Splitter?

Top 5 salaries, so this year it's Dwight, Paul, Baze, Splitter, then Korver.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Aaah, I  see what you mean.

The way I now interpret it, is The Hawks will be gettimg back 80% of games 42-81 wether he plays or not. Or maybe not, lol.

Does the games missed last season also come into play.

I think @lethalweapon3 posted a tweet awhile back that referenced insurance kicking in which would have included games missed from last season.

Any game he plays, they aren't getting insurance to cover.  The deductible has to be satisfied before the insurance provision kicks in and then it applies to games he misses relating to the same injury.

This is why Portland threw such a snit fit when some of their medical cases decided to come back and resume playing - it meant that they had to pay without the insurance coverage any more.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

Any game he plays, they aren't getting insurance to cover.  The deductible has to be satisfied before the insurance provision kicks in and then it applies to games he misses relating to the same injury.

This is why Portland threw such a snit fit when some of their medical cases decided to come back and resume playing - it meant that they had to pay without the insurance coverage any more.

Ok, here goes:

If a player misses 41 games in a season, medical insurance covers 80% of his missed time after that.

Splitter played in 36 games last season, so with 5  games to go last season he got to 41 missed games. So 5 games last season and 41 games have been 80% covered by insurance.

The Portland cases were different though.  In Darius Miles case, they classified him as having 'career ending injuries' which allowed for insurance to pay him  and  for  the team to subtract his cap hit  for the  years remaining on his contract. What happened was he came back to play for another team, so his salary went back on Portland's cap figure. I think insurance still covered him since he did not play.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Ok, here goes:

Splitter played in 36 games last season, so with 5  games to go last season he got to 41 missed games. So 5 games last season and 41 games have been 80% covered by insurance.

The Portland cases were different though.  In Darius Miles case, they classified him as having 'career ending injuries' which allowed for insurance to pay him  and  for  the team to subtract his cap hit  for the  years remaining on his contract. What happened was he came back to play for another team, so his salary went back on Portland's cap figure. I think insurance still covered him since he did not play.

What you just quoted is exactly what I said.  You only get insurance coverage for missed time after that - not for games played.  

The question becomes when the deductible resets.  In many policies it is one of two situations (a) an event can trigger the reset of the deductible such as returning to work or playing a certain number of games, etc. or (b) after the person returns future coverage is still possible if it stems from the same injury.  Not sure how the policy covering Splitter works.

(Both Darius Miles and Brandon Roy played after their supposed medical retirements.  Miles played for the Grizzlies and Roy played for the T-Wolves.)

When the Trail Blazers gave Roy his max deal, they were apparently able to insure only a fraction of it because of the condition of his knees. But, sources say, they were able to get a limited amount of permanent disability insurance on him that would cover 17 million of the amount owed the player.

As long as he was "permanently" disabled.

If and when Roy plays again, Portland apparently will not be able to collect that 17 million, none of which has been paid to date.

Roy retired before last season because of degenerative knees. The Blazers still owed him $49 million over three years at the time, but an insurance policy was expected to cover a significant chunk of that. If he returns to play, however, that policy no longer can be invoked and the Blazers are back on the hook for what they owe him, minus the $10 million Minnesota will pay him, sources say. The balance due from the Blazers could be as much as $17 million, one source said.

Splitter is not a career ending injury but the same concept applies:  the condition precedent to coverage has been met (41 games) and him returning to play will  stop that coverage but the specific circumstances around it aren't clear to me.

• Moderators
1 minute ago, macdaddy said:

Who pays for Tiago's suits?  And does he get $500 everytime he sits in with Bob and Nique and says "I'm feeling really good"?

I suspect Tiago changes his $110 tires about once a week, and has a house full of Papa John's discounted pizza boxes.

~lw3

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I suspect Tiago changes his $110 tires about once a week, and has a house full of Papa John's discounted pizza boxes.

~lw3

Tiago's tires were actually only tires in the academic sense. They were round, they had once been made of rubber.

• Like 1