• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Jose Calderon Hawks prime target for PG search

GameTime

1 hour ago, ISOJOE said:

Delaney is a solid passer, average defender, calm ballhandler, bad scorer (give him one year to adapt).

Calderon is a solid passer, really bad defender, more TO/min, good shooter.

What about Delaney's defense is average?  He's terrible, I can't count the number of times he's gotten beat off the dribble. 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
25 minutes ago, High5 said:

The Warriors signed him (shocking!) so it's a moot point, but I would have taken him over Delaney. 

Actually, @High5, this is (in my best Paul Harvey voice).... the rest of the story...

2017-03-01_1916.png

• Like 1

It makes sense for JC to sign with the Hawks. He will get plenty of pt. Dwight will get so many entry passes and lobs he wouldn't know what to do with himself...

Doubt he has much left in the tank but anything is better than Delaney at this point. His best game of the season so I'll leave it at that

Edited by Kimsey

4 hours ago, Kimsey said:

It makes sense for JC to sign with the Hawks. He will get plenty of pt. Dwight will get so many entry passes and lobs he wouldn't know what to do with himself...

Doubt he has much left in the tank but anything is better than Delaney at this point. His best game of the season so I'll leave it at that

Haven't paid too much attention to Jose late in his career but regardless of age it's pretty clear he's better than Delaney. I mean what are all the complaints about? We need help on the bench regardless....sure someone else out there could be better but I'd love to get Jose at the VERY Least and he is still a highly capable 3pt shooter which we need badly. 

Also looking at the video above plus a few I recently just watched on YouTube of Jose this past season, he's clearly faster than what you'd think for 35 year old pg! He can control the ball, has a high bbiq, still shoots well....defensively he's likely to struggle the most here but you add this savvy vet to the bench with THJ, Ersan, Moose, Dunleavy, & the rookies I think he will be just fine with the way bud runs his offenses.

Theres just nothing for us to complain about.....it's a last second "try to fix the bench" type move.

• Like 2

Agree that any help from three point land can help relieve some of our offensive troubles. Jose is forty one percent from three for his career and can handle the ball. No need for us to overthink it with almost no choices left.

• Like 1

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Agree that any help from three point land can help relieve some of our offensive troubles. Jose is forty one percent from three for his career and can handle the ball. No need for us to overthink it with almost no choices left.

Yes!!!!! We need this badly and don't discount experience.   Teams who go deep in the playoffs have experienced, capable vets off the bench.   

• Like 3

• Moderators
15 hours ago, sturt said:

I'm with Iso. Delaney's not met expectations, but I think that's at least as much a comment on where expectations were set. He's an older rookie, and plays like it at times, but from all impressions I've gotten, his defense has improved steadily through the season--just the other night, had the highlight steal iirc. And moreover, it's a little grating that everyone seemingly is so oblivious to the personal tragedy that began his year... not saying anyone should look the other way when he does something wrong, but at least take a bit softer approach... we sometimes I think get lost in sports as if it's played by people who aren't real people. Just sayin.

As for the rest, Calderon would be a solid pick-up, tho everyone seems to understand his defense has been reviled forever for cause.

Well I think i'm up on all things Hawks but I have to say that I was oblivious.   I somehow missed that story but just looked it up.   I totally agree with you on the personal angle.   I'm not all that comfortable saying any of our guys suck.  Delaney has done ok but the truth is there is no one part of his game that is really good right now.   His best attribute is not turning the ball over.  He maybe better next year if he can develop his shot. 

Calderon will be much better though.  I hope we can get him.   These are kind of bargain moves but adding Ersan, Calderon, and even Dunleavey are smart moves for the playoff roster.   I think Ersan is going to look like a genius move.   

• Like 1

Think having three guards that can handle the rock is way better than two. Baze will remain the awkward one but do see Dennis ,Tim and Jose with tons of minutes controlling the ball. Should be quite the improvement over Delaney's 1.4 turnover ratio by Jose. Jose's career is just shy of 4, really good.

3 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

@sturt  Last night, we got to see that PG you wanted the Hawks to sign

off the D league, but we didn't.

He IS good!

You have a very good eye for talent!

Not you too, GM!  I'd humbly request that you look a little deeper.

The Feral guy struggled mightily most of the game.  During that time, we were totally in control.  Then, all of a sudden, he started to be effective in spots and consequently we almost lost the game.

During one period noted above, Dennis was guarding him.  During the other period, DelaneySucks was "guarding" him.  I'll allow you to decide which period matches each situation.

• Premium Member

Folks, this would be a good last-minute get, no doubt... 3rd PG who last season was a starter and is legitimately going to fight the current 2nd PG for playing time.

But don't be surprised if it doesn't happen.

He truly is one of the worst defensive PGs in the game... think Mike-Bibby's-last-Hawks-season-bad.

There is every possibility that Budcox evaluates this and finds there's someone out there who is as capable a shooter as Calderon, but w/o the big downside on the other end of the court.

There also is every possibility... since we only can offer a minimum... that we'll have competition for his service from some team that is more attractive to him.

I think we'll know something today or tomorrow, but as I understand it, Jose now doesn't technically become available again until he passes thru waivers a second time tomorrow evening.

• Premium Member

We just quit going to Dwight inside, quit passing the ball for a good shot and decided one on one was the way to go.   Dallas on the other hand outhustled us and passed the ball for shots they hit.  We are not a good outside shooting team save Ersan.