• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Would melo entertain this idea....

JTB

If it's possible with the Hawks cap and this team was a real possibility would star melo consider this Hawks team for one last run at a championship before he retires....

Starters:

pg- Dennis Schröder

sg- Bazemore

sf- Melo (2 years left on max deal)

pf- Millsap (resign to two year max deal)

c- Howard (2 years left on max deal)

Bench:

pg- draft pick from this upcoming draft

sg- Hardaway (6th man candidate...match whatever contract comes since he's restricted)

sf- Prince 

pf- Illayasova 

c- Humphries

Since the NBA cap is projected to go up yet again and since the Hawks own millsaps full bird rights I'm thinking it may be possible to have this team roster if melo agreed to be traded here and the Hawks just take on his salary  BUT I haven't done any numbers to truly see.

...that front court would be old however it'd be a good shot for those older  players and the Hawks to make an real effort run at the championship possibly.

Edited by JTB

Can't get Melo and still keep Baze and Ersan. Baze will need to be included in any trade.

We have approximately  $65 million in fully guaranteed contracts. Add capholds of Ersan ($12.5 mil) and Millsap ($30 mil).  

Projected Salary Cap for  2017-18  is $102 million.

51 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Why on earth would millsap take a 2 yr deal this late in his 30s

Yeah, its a little late to bet all out on one's self when both knees are now question marks moving forward. Sap may not be old but he is a thirty two year old vet with unfortunately some new durability questions for his next contract so thinking he wants some length there. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

When posters have no grasp of how free agency and the salary cap works.....

Why on earth would millsap take a 2 yr deal this late in his 30s

I have a great grasp of how free agency works. I didn't do any numbers just throwing the idea out there.

2 or 3 year no one is signing Sap to a max deal past 3 years I'm sure of that.

56 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Y'all are so mean.

Trust me not offended at all . I should have went through the process before posting...was just putting the idea out there. 

It wasn't going to happen anyways even if it was possible 

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Can't get Melo and still keep Baze and Ersan. Baze will need to be included in any trade.

We have approximately  $65 million in fully guaranteed contracts. Add capholds of Ersan ($12.5 mil) and Millsap ($30 mil).  

Projected Salary Cap for  2017-18  is $102 million.

Thanks...and wow saps cap hold is 30 mil. Geeezzzz

1 hour ago, JTB said:

I have a great grasp of how free agency works. I didn't do any numbers just throwing the idea out there.

2 or 3 year no one is signing Sap to a max deal past 3 years I'm sure of that.

Joakim noah got a 4 yr deal with 2 blown knees and low production. Every team outside of us would gladly sign him to a 4 yr max. Shit he was about to go to the magic to get his max contract so being on a contender isn't even an issue for him

Edited by skimaskway23

17 minutes ago, skimaskway23 said:

Joakim noah got a 4 yr deal with 2 blown knees and low production. Every team outside of us would gladly sign him to a 4 yr max. Shit he was about to go to the magic to get his max contract so being on a contender isn't even an issue for him

Your going off what was going on in the recent past. I don't believe the magic was ever a serious consideration for millsap. Utah on the other hand too wanted sap the year he was a free agent and they have a pretty solid team and it wouldn't have been a shock had he gone there. 

Sap wants a chance to win I think thats clear. He's not going to put money over being able to sign with a contender that has an actual shot at the championship. He isn't melo, collecting checks isn't going to keep him happy when he has this opportunity as a free agent to make his situation better.....and you claim i don't know how free agency works :dry:.

Oh and the knicks were desperate, phil has no clue what he's doing. 

Edited by JTB

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

..and we see how that worked out. The Hawks should know better than to trust the 'market' after they were pressured into giving Baze his deal when the likes of Crabbe and Evan Turner got those moronic contracts. I love Sap's mentality and his game but we can't keep repeating the same mistakes out of desperation and expect different results. Investing super max dollars in Sap when we know he's had problems with both knees at age 32 is a HUGE risk. But if we do re-sign Sap for some insane $$$, then Baze absolutely has to go.

• Like 2

At the end of the day we have our SF moving forward in Prince and he will only get better and better. What we don't have on the roster is a known at PF at all. We at least have our starting options at other positions even though we know Baze is a backup SG and not a starting quality guy. Hoping Tim is here next year. Dennis, Prince and Dwight will indeed be starting and playing big minutes next year. With the on again and off again difficult time Bud has had managing Dennis I can't envision a good relationship or a championship outcome with him dealing with Melo. The best any team has done with him didn't make a good run in the playoffs until an archaic Chauncey Billups took the point guard reins. Thats the documented part of Melo's playoff history and not what everyone hopes he brings with him if he is traded to their team.  

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Thomas said:

At the end of the day we have our SF moving forward in Prince and he will only get better and better. What we don't have on the roster is a known at PF at all. We at least have our starting options at other positions even though we know Baze is a backup SG and not a starting quality guy. Hoping Tim is here next year. Dennis, Prince and Dwight will indeed be starting and playing big minutes next year. With the on again and off again difficult time Bud has had managing Dennis I can't envision a good relationship or a championship outcome with him dealing with Melo. The best any team has done with him didn't make a good run in the playoffs until an archaic Chauncey Billups took the point guard reins. Thats the documented part of Melo's playoff history and not what everyone hopes he brings with him if he is traded to their team.  

I agree with this and have no problem not going after melo at all....again was just throwing the idea out there. Lol

5 minutes ago, macdaddy said:

Ship has sailed on Melo.   It would ensure that we are the worst team in the league in 2 years.   

I do understand the need for star power but i think all of his is gone.  

I think he'll be rejuvenated in his next stop.  I think he'll end up in LAC but I think Blake will be gone.

So... We're all going to sit here and not act like Carmelo isn't still an OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT on the perimeter and underneath the basket?? Just because the franchises he played for failed to put together a championship team doesn't somehow make him some kind of unsuccessful bum. I promise some of you just hate him for no apparent reason.  I can see him playing and producing longer in his career than Lebron. Bring him to the Hawks and watch how the EAST rearranges itself. Lebron would be in the Cavs front-office before the sun rises.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, willthepureshooter said:

So... We're all going to sit here and not act like Carmelo isn't still an OFFENSIVE JUGGERNAUT on the perimeter and underneath the basket?? Just because the franchises he played for failed to put together a championship team doesn't somehow make him some kind of unsuccessful bum. I promise some of you just hate him for no apparent reason.  I can see him playing and producing longer in his career than Lebron. Bring him to the Hawks and watch how the EAST rearranges itself. Lebron would be in the Cavs front-office before the sun rises.

The part in bold is the only reason I brought this up. No matter how good this defense can be or is , however you may feel the problem is that we can't score for shit. If you can't score you can't win.

there is no stopping star talented offensive players for a whole game. Eventually they are going to get their points during the game. Hawks biggest problem for years has been that they can't match any true star or superstar talented offensive player.

hell Hawks are supposed to be a better team than the Knicks and not that we aren't but it was melo that forced what 3 overtimes this season against us?!!!

fact is, is that melo gives the Hawks something they clearly don't have and that just an all out pure scorer...I'd take my chances with trying to land melo rather than this false hope going around that the Hawks are actually in the running for butler or Paul George. At least with melo his age and reputation from being on bad teams will take his stock down.

Edited by JTB
  • Like 1