• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Bud spilled the beans publicly about D8 which isn't a bad thing

JTB

I'm talked out about Howard and his screen setting, talked about it to the start the season, still talking about it.  

The best and only memorable one he set all year was the Rockets game against Patrick Beverly.

DING!

It's not that hard to run Bud's offense, but because of Howard's wavering effort, it's not being run nearly as well as it should be.

I do NOT even think that you need to be a good passer, but even if you are not a good passer, you need to set good screens and dive hard.

Howard taking an extra week off after all star weekend solo tanked the offense and almost put the Hawks in crisis mode on it's own. Not long after that he started giving a s*** again, but it was too freaking late as Millsap went down.

Work ethic. For some players it's innate (Millsap, Leonard, Duncan, among many others).

Howard doesn't have it. It's the playoffs, we shouldn't be still preaching it.  The benching may help him tonight, we'll see but the guy needs to give a sustained effort all series. His up and down play is frustrating because he can make a huge difference and has proven that when he actually shows up. 

Howard's back is the problem. That's why his activity and effort has been so inconsistent throughout the season. He had a stretch where he was improving with his screen setting and becoming a force for the Hawks offensively and on the boards. Something is wrong. He must've seriously tweaked his back recently because he looks like a 60 year old running up and down the court and his explosion around the rim is GONE. He's not really mixing it up with Gortat and getting him in foul trouble. He's also not smiling much at all out there so I'd have to guess he's playing with some serious pain.

That would make perfect sense. If Howard was 100% healthy, there's no way Gortat outplays him. Gortat would tell you that. If that's the case then we might be cooked though, because Bud already gave him a light workload (by Dwight's standards) during the season and injuries like that only get worse.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

• Like 4

If Howard is hurting that'd explain a lot of why he didn't even bother to bend over on one of those loose balls......it still doesn't explain him taking an extra week off after the break which helped solo tank the offense. He got a lot more active after that, but it was too late due to Paul getting hurt shortly after it.

• Like 1

Dwight made no bones about citing his back when he played poorly in LA and Houston.  His back isn't the issue.  Never bringing anything to the table besides rebounding is.

Cant believe Bud was actually honest and candid with the media.  Good for him.  It can also backfire and he won't get shit from Superman.  I always thought Dwight is best at 25 minutes.  So far he's gotten 29 and 20.  Middle ground, Bud.  I thought the same for Baze but anything over 17 minutes and I'm cringing.

Edited by benhillboy

I think the most frustrating thing is the fact that we know Howard can set great screens and him just not doing it. If he couldn't even set a great screen fans wouldn't be so mad at him but it's the fact that you know he can set great impactful screens and he chooses to only do it when he wants to and that upsets us.

with that said Howard was engaged in the offense in game 3 and had a very good game though he only had 5/11

• Like 1

10 hours ago, JTB said:

with that said Howard was engaged in the offense in game 3 and had a very good game though he only had 5/11

Yeah, we need that physical eleven rebounds or more from him as opposed to double digit scoring. That minus twenty two by Gortat was pretty telling.

• Like 1

I don't know about anything to do with his back, but yesterday during game 3 Dwight took a spill that was really overlooked. It looked like it hurt man. He was mixing it up with Morris and he went up for a tip out rebound to Baze an he fell face first on the floor an didnt catch himself. Look like it knocked him up pretty good. He didn't play much after that so maybe some stiffness in his back is what's getting to him. 

• Like 3

On 4/22/2017 at 4:14 PM, hawkman said:

Howard's back is the problem. That's why his activity and effort has been so inconsistent throughout the season. He had a stretch where he was improving with his screen setting and becoming a force for the Hawks offensively and on the boards. Something is wrong. He must've seriously tweaked his back recently because he looks like a 60 year old running up and down the court and his explosion around the rim is GONE. He's not really mixing it up with Gortat and getting him in foul trouble. He's also not smiling much at all out there so I'd have to guess he's playing with some serious pain.

Hmmm....maybe you're onto something....

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-notes-Schröder-wants-work-with-wall-offseason/K5JQSoN9goxBkX7msg4rnJ/

Dwight Howard was not listed on the injury report despite taking a nasty fall in Game 3. The center was working with trainers following practice Sunday and did not take part in free-throw shooting exercises. Hawks coach Mike Budenholzer said he was told of a specific ailment affecting Howard.

“Probably a little extra time with those guys working, keeping him loose, keeping him in a good place,” Budenholzer said.

Ailment?  I find that strange wording but if they're trying to keep him loose I agree it has to be the back.

Hopefully this isn't some long term thing they're trying to mitigate.

• Like 2

• Premium Member
8 minutes ago, AUhawksfan said:

Hmmm....maybe you're onto something....

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/hawks-notes-Schröder-wants-work-with-wall-offseason/K5JQSoN9goxBkX7msg4rnJ/

Ailment?  I find that strange wording but if they're trying to keep him loose I agree it has to be the back.

It has to be something because he doesn't even bend at the waist. I'm glad he is trying to fight through it, but I think his back is done for the season even if he's not ready to admit it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUhawksfan said:

Think it has been a long term thing already. Had back surgery in 2012. He and Capela both had to be rested at times in Houston.

Back in April of 2012, Howard had micro surgery due to a herniated disc in his back, causing him to miss the remainder of the season and the 2012 Summer Olympics before he was moved via trade in the offseason to the Los Angeles Lakers in a blockbuster four-team deal.

I've talked about Dwight 'tweaking' his back in the Charlotte game.  Wearing back wrap during post game interview... (ignore Baze)

Bud was asked during post game interview, he said he tweaked it but he didn't think was anything serious...I guess not.