• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Mike Scott: CLEARED OF ALL CHARGES!!

TheNorthCydeRises

3 minutes ago, hawkman said:

You called it. Nice avatar. Every time I read one of your one liners it's always in Archer's voice.

Funny I read it in a pee wee Herman voice.

• Premium Member
22 minutes ago, lethalweapon3 said:

I was left to wonder, given how infrequently the deputy's many traffic stops led to anything substantive, whether Mike going all George Washington With the Cherry Tree on them upon questioning led to the officer scrambling to cobble together a story that could justify making the stop and retrieving the drugs. The officer sure made it seem like his "Crime Interdiction" unit exists to go fishing on the Interstate, then make up Fish Stories in the rare cases they get a catch.

(Kind of a similarity with Bud's case... the officer pulling Bud over wasn't some run-of-the-mill traffic safety peacekeeper, but a member of the state's DUI Super Special Task Force or something. They're all getting paid to sniff out bigger things than broken taillights and close drivers.)

Also wondering, whether officers approaching the rental SUV with guns instead of notepads "encouraged" Scottie to perceive this as much more than some vanilla traffic stop, and spill all the beans in an attempt to defuse the situation before it could escalate into a "lead poisoning" situation.

~lw3

The fact that they said this 'high speed chase' lasted 12 seconds over 2 miles tells me that they made this story up after the arrests which is absolutely shameful. They didn't do the math and even had the mile markers wrong.

• Like 1

On 5/3/2017 at 2:25 PM, hawkman said:

A quick heads up: even when you do know your rights and  refuse the search, the K-9 they bring in WILL scratch your car up and WILL indicate that there are drugs in your car so they can 'legally' search you. Your post hit close to home.

LOL . . dang right.  I had that happen to me in Ozark, AL on my way to Tallahassee a few years ago.    

Got pulled over for a supposed improper lane change ( i.e. what happened to Sandra Bland in Texas ).  This road took you to I-10 in Florida, but it was also the road most kids used to go to spring break in Panama City.

After checking my license and registration ( which was a rental car ), the Cop asked to do a quick search of my car for drugs.  His reason was that there were a lot of out of state people transporting drugs down this road on their way to Panama City.   I refused, since I'm not a drug dealer.   He said OK, but then requested the K-9 unit and told me to wait.

30 minutes later, the K-9 unit still hadn't shown up.  Me being impatient, I let him physically search the car so I can be on my way.  That was probably my mistake right there.  Once I gave him consent, they had free reign to do what they wanted.

He searches me first, then searched the car for about 10 minutes.  Nothing.   Then he still says that he's waiting on the K-9 unit.  I was frustrated as hell, but didn't lose my cool.  Cops weren't assholes about it attitude wise.   They were pretty cool about the whole situation.  It helped that I kept my cool as well.

20 minutes later, the K-9 shows up.  Dog goes all around and throughout the car.  Nothing.   Then the cop motions to the dog, and he scratches on the door handle.  Cop turns to me and says that the dog "hit" on the door handle.  The door handle, mind you.  He had passed the handle at the beginning of the search, and didn't do anything.   He literally asked me if I had used any illegal substances recently, or if anybody who did use something illegal, touch the car.   

Irritated to the max, I basically explained that I had nothing on me and wasn't transporting anything.  And if the dog "hit" on something, it wasn't from me, seeing that this was a rental car.  LOL . . how in the world would I know if someone touched the car after using something illegal, if I had just got the car 8 hours beforehand?  

The cop finally came to the conclusion that the dog must've had a "false positive" hit on something,   I had some Bayer aspirin in my book bag in the back seat.  They said that "maybe" that's what the dog hit on, if the residue was on my hand after taking aspirin ( which I hadn't done ).  

Now that I think about it, the cop opened the door himself, so maybe the dog hit on something or a substance the cop had in his hand.   Or the dog hit on nothing, and the cop motioned to the dog to act like he hit on something, just to see how I would react.

So after an hour of a failed search, I was free to go.  I've been pulled over 25+ times in my life, but that was easily one of the most bull crap police encounters I ever endured.   Not the worst, but it's up there.

Interesting article on K-9 false alerts compared to a true alert

https://nevergetbusted.com/2016/07/20/university-study-tricked-certified-police-dogs-to-false-alert-200-times/

• Like 2

In 2015 and 2016, Register made more than 1,400 traffic stops, yet he issued tickets in only eight of those stops, according to court records. He also made 47 arrests, and 44 were minorities, two were white and one was of unknown race.

“These numbers are truly shocking,” Judge Mingledorff wrote in his order.

--------------------------------

LOL . . . WHAT?   Wow.  

1400 stops but only 8 tickets?   That's incredible.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, hawkman said:

The fact that they said this 'high speed chase' lasted 12 seconds over 2 miles tells me that they made this story up after the arrests which is absolutely shameful. They didn't do the math and even had the mile markers wrong.

Actually, the judge can and did say it was bogus.  Why have people yet to learn that simply because a police officer says "this is what happened" does not mean that's what actually happened.  They have to detail a reasonable account exactly how that happened and if it doesn't hold up to snuff it becomes a matter of "did you simply say that happened to cover your ass?". 

"but, but, but, the officers said!"

"how dare a judge let a crook off the hook just because he's black"

As I brought up earlier and @BackForThe2ndTime detailed to an even greater degree: the PC and procedure were bogus, racial profiling was only introduced to establish intent behind the arrest. 

For some reason people were actually arguing as though "because I'm black" is a valid legal defense....then lamenting that protection of what?  The 4th, 5th and 14th amendments?......are just "technicalities".

• Like 3

So back to basketball.

Would anyone be against bringing Mike back, in place of Muscala or Ryan Kelly?   If it came down between Ersan and Mike, I'm definitely keeping Ilyasova, because his overall skill level is better than Mike's.  But in a choice between Moose and R. Kelly, I'd rather have Mike.

Funny how Scott and Adreian Payne are now UFA's and at the bottom of the free agent list for power forwards.

http://hoopshype.com/2017/04/26/nba-free-agency-2017-power-forwards/

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sounds like the days of the police bat mobile on Memorial Drive. Several pubs in a one mile stretch way back in the day. Were always looking for alternate routes on those Friday and Saturday nights.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
Just now, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So back to basketball.

Would anyone be against bringing Mike back, in place of Muscala or Ryan Kelly?   If it came down between Ersan and Mike, I'm definitely keeping Ilyasova, because his overall skill level is better than Mike's.  But in a choice between Moose and R. Kelly, I'd rather have Mike.

Funny how Scott and Adreian Payne are now UFA's and at the bottom of the free agent list for power forwards.

Only if he's healthy. He looked really bad physically last season.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Don't understand why anyone would want Kelly getting minutes on the floor so yeah.

1 minute ago, hawkman said:

Only if he's healthy. He looked really bad physically last season.

I've mused in the past that in keeping with Bud's "we'll make sure you land in a nice spot" edict behind trading his guys that Scott was sent to Phoenix because of their legendary medical staff.  That they said "nuh uh" and cut him made me go "damn...it's that bad?"

But yes, he did not look healthy at all last season for whatever reason.

• Like 2

• Moderators
17 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

In 2015 and 2016, Register made more than 1,400 traffic stops, yet he issued tickets in only eight of those stops, according to court records. He also made 47 arrests, and 44 were minorities, two were white and one was of unknown race.

LOL . . . WHAT?   Wow.  

55a7f54f9e9755183d97323d_t-2-rachel-doleabc4feb168634de600a5c72f1eaf0221.jpg

FOUND! The two White drivers the Banks County officer arrested!

In seriousness, though, I imagine those thousand-plus fruitless stops was simply about a cop trying to make himself look busy to his superiors, including the bean-counters who judge progress by the number of stops an officer makes, regardless of justification. Somebody took a chance on him, despite his spotty employment history, and he felt the urge to make it worth their while.

Worse-case scenario... considering how Quick Draw McGraw these officers got with the (non-HGTV-edition) Scott Brothers, the twice-canned officer may have been throwing around his Authori-tah, to just put a scare into passing motorists of his "choosing."

~lw3

• Like 2

• Moderators
32 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

So back to basketball.

Although I feel like we've squeezed as much NBA pulp out of that orange as possible, I'm just pleased he'll get a chance somewhere, even if it's just a training camp pickup. With the "evidence" now formally kicked to the curb, IF Money Mike can keep his nose clean going forward, he can focus on getting in better condition all summer, without the specter of some CBA-mandated drug suspension hanging over his head and discouraging teams from giving him a fresh look.

Scottie might wanna give Euroball a try, too. Any cool teams in Amsterdam?

~lw3

• Like 1

On 5/5/2017 at 11:18 AM, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It should also be noted that Wikipedia has the Banks County population as 93% white. Lmao. Shows you just how insane some of the earlier assumptions made in this thread were. Sure they get a lot of people traveling through, but that's still beyond absurd just to fathom. 

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, BackForThe2ndTime said:

It should also be noted that Wikipedia has the Banks County population as 93% white. Lmao. Shows you just how insane some of the earlier assumptions made in this thread were. Sure they get a lot of people traveling through, but that's still beyond absurd just to fathom. 

2nd time in 2 years that suspected racially motivated police arrests have gotten a hawks player.

On 5/4/2017 at 7:02 PM, Dolfan23 said:

The justice system is so screwed up in this country. Innocent people go to jail every day while guys who blatantly break the law and even admit to it get off Scott free because of a technicality.

Is this what your cellmates tell you?

Also, apparently the cop was fired due to his love for blacks.

http://www.ajc.com/news/local/sheriff-dismisses-deputy-who-arrested-hawk-racial-profiling-case/AsgwJVbf54daALtoe89rKP/

• Moderators

:beathorse:but Roscoe P. Coltrane is officially on the hunt for Cop Job #4. Try malls next time, pal!

Also, a Reading Is Fundamental error on my part, now that it's established that no 98 mph chase (or 9.8 mph chase) occurred (via MyAJC):

After the Scotts were handcuffed, Register said he asked whether there was anything illegal in the car. Mike Scott said there was “some weed” inside the SUV, Register said.

I errantly assumed the arrest was only after the officer confirmed there were drugs in the vehicle.

Instead, they were cuffed for "following a car too closely" (I can comfortably assume Miranda never entered the picture by that point), with the officers cuffing a fully compliant 6-foot-8 passenger for (their own) safety purposes.

And only then, with cuffs on, were the Scotts asked whether they had any criminal goods on them. The cop was probably lucky the brothers were riding proverbially dirty. Because without that, we would simply have had, "NBA Player on his way to Basketball Camp Pulled Over: Guns Drawn on Him and Brother for Allegedly Following Car Closely."

~lw3

• Like 1

The info coming out lately does seem to paint an entirely different picture than the one we were told to believe over the last 2 years. These areas where a city lives on traffic fines and things of that nature need to be fixed by someone. Throw in racial profiling with those stats LW5 posted and that city sounds like it needs to be wiped off the map. Hopefully anyone abusing their power in law enforcement gets caught and busted. It's too bad that doesn't fix the lives that they ruin. Shame on all of us who believed the 'facts' of the case that we were given. Mike Scott, if you were truly innocent, please accept my apology for believing you were guilty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2