• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "The goal is to find another Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green"

GameTime

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, GameTime said:

The "Millsap will not re-sign" came from his comments about overpaying for free agents being a bad practice and not something would want to do. If we do keep Sap it will be discounted if Schlenk means what he is saying with these quotes.

In fact Millsap's advanced metrics do not support a massive raise or even a raise at all based on his performance last year.  According to his last year's metrics, His defense was worse, Shooting was worse and finishing around the basket was worse.  So those of you that think some team will view Millsap as their savior will be wrong. 

I still like Ian Clark as a cost effective FA signing. He has a good skillset to pair with Bembry from the bench. If THJ gets too big of an offer, I'd look that way instead of matching.

I could rant about rebuilding all night, I'll just leave it up to TS. He knows what it takes to get to the top at this point.

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, DBac said:

If THJ gets too big of an offer, I'd look that way instead of matching.

We have been down this road before with Jeff Teague...Everybody thought that Teague was going to get this big offer from some team needing a point guard but he ended up getting a bargain basement offer from Milwaukee only because Drew was their coach.  He didn't receive any other offers that offseason.

• Like 4

We'll be having these arguments for a while but despite the love fans see for THJ...I'm really not sure he gets paid that much. You can't play the transitive property game, guys that are just very athletic and are streaky shooters aren't valued as much as the hustle, do everything guys, like Kent is even with his expansive faults.

A guy to look at comp wise may be Terrence Ross...if he expects a big deal I expect him to probably be disappointed.

Preferably I bring him back as a 6th man and the lineup after next season looks like this...

C - ??? (Isaiah Hartenstein?)
PF - Paul Millsap
SF - Taurean Prince
SG - (One of the do everything guards from this draft or athletic freaks) (Sindarius Thornwell?) (Donovan Mitchell?)
PG - Dennis Schröder

Three most important players off of the bench:

6th man - Tim Hardaway Jr
PG - One of the older point guards that dropped in this year's draft
SF - DeAndre Bembry

10 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

We have been down this road before with Jeff Teague...Everybody thought that Teague was going to get this big offer from some team needing a point guard but he ended up getting a bargain basement offer from Milwaukee only because Drew was their coach.  He didn't receive any other offers that offseason.

Allen Crabbe got offered 4 yr 75M last year, Tyler Johnson got 4 yrs 50M, Baze 4 yrs 70M (and he took a small discount), Hill got 4yrs 48M. Maybe the league realizes they messed up and things reset, but that's what these guys have been getting paid. Clark is a little undersized and wasn't as heavily featured as these other guys, that's the only thing that makes me believe he could slip through the cracks a bit. 

• Premium Member
Just now, DBac said:

Allen Crabbe got offered 4 yr 75M last year, Tyler Johnson got 4 yrs 50M, Baze 4 yrs 70M (and he took a small discount), Hill got 4yrs 48M. Maybe the league realizes they messed up and things reset, but that's what these guys have been getting paid. Clark is a little undersized and wasn't as heavily featured as these other guys, that's the only thing that makes me believe he could slip through the cracks a bit. 

Doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results is the definition of what?  I think the league has learned a valuable lesson after those F'ups.  Plus there is less money available this off season.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, DBac said:

The latter two guys you mentioned are considered "3/D do it all hustle players" that are valued more. The best comp is probably Tyler Johnson here with THJ.

Fans see what FOs don't.

21 minutes ago, DBac said:

That was a function of  the cap increase where almost every team had tons of capspace to sign MAX DEALS. So teams were just outbidding each other and going crazy.  The cap jumped by approx. $24 million in that year.  

This year the cap increase is $7 million which means less capspace and fewer teams with money to sign MAX deals.

Next year the projected cap is $102 million, an increase of $1 million.  

I think teams will be more judicious this year - there will the one team that does something crazy.

4 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

That was a function of  the cap increase where almost every team had tons of capspace to sign MAX DEALS. So teams were just outbidding each other and going crazy.  The cap jumped by approx. $24 million in that year.  

This year the cap increase is $7 million which mean less capspace and fewer teams with money to sign MAX deals.

Next year the projected cap is$102 million and increase of $1 million.  

I think teams will be more judicious this year - there will the one team that does something crazy.

It'll be interesting to look at this from a % of cap standpoint. I imagine it'd be somewhat consistent. Don't wanna look at that right now though, playoffs on.I imagine the convo for THJ starts around 11M per. I'd be cool with that. Over 15M is getting into dangerous territory. 

I'm with @JayBirdHawk on this as I will just watch it unfold. So far, 1 day in, I like everything about the guy except for the dumb look on his face..lol..but that could be his GM gameface I dunno.

The one thing I LOVE most about him if Jerry West is being truthful is Schlenk's eye for talent. In the history of the Hawks, 2 important things have remained constant forever.

1. No FA star ever sign with the Hawks outside of Mutombo and JJ I guess.

2. We are horrible at drafting, doesn't matter if it's the 2nd pick in Marvin to Dan Dickau to the landlord Shelden..

This could change #2, and as a result have an effect on #1...

I like Schlenk so far. After the draft, I'm hoping I like him even more. We shall see.

6 hours ago, NBASupes said:

That's why trades like D. Carroll , C. Joseph +#23 for Dwight is legit for us. 

That's why even trades where all we get is a backup shooter like Moore for Bazemore is good. We need to only invest in good contracts till you get your guys and even then, good contracts. 

I  like this guy already. He is saying the right thing, just hope he does the right thing. 

Just asking you to think this through. Dwight is not getting traded before the season starts.  He is currently on a 2 year contract. He has a ton of value to a contending team in the right situation. My best guess is that if Dwight is moved it is at the trade deadline this year or next to a contender for youth/picks. Dwight is a movable asset because next year (18/19) he'll be an expiring (short term problem). Teams like the Bulls, Portland, OKC could really see Dwight as a "get them over the top" type of a guy Feb next year. You hold on to him and take back that team's 1 year trash in exchange for their youth/picks.  Dwight is going to pay off for the Hawks in the next 18 months, just maybe not in the way you would hope.  Best guess is trade deadline 2019 but could be this coming year (2018) too. If you move him this summer, you will get less for him....much less.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Give me all of the non up and coming teams that had aging over the hill players that suddenly won 50+ games without extenuating circumstances, or please just shut up.

LOL @ all of those conditions.  "Extenuating circumstances" could mean adding a free agent, or drafting a young talent that helped the team, or adding a new coach.

The last team to do this was the . . . (( drumroll )) . . . 

Image result for houston rockets

After winning 41 games in 2015 - 16, they decided to revamp their team and find a new voice as a coach.  When they didn't re-sign Dwight Howard, and they brought in D'Antoni, no one was expecting the Houston Rockets to do anything.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/17886875/nba-projected-fall-forecast-standings-2016-17

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2017-nba-predictions/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2664038-nba-predictions-2016-17-win-loss-projections-for-every-team-pre-training-camp

No one was expecting Houston to be no better than a low seed playoff team, or out of the playoffs altogether.  But they added a plethora of veteran shooters/scorers, and moved Harden to the point, and the rest is history.   Harden has an MVP caliber season, and the Rockets win 55 games.

Had aliens not kidnapped James Harden in Game 6, maybe the Rockets would've at least extended the Warriors a little in the NBA Finals.

Oh, and the other team that has done it recently . . .

Image result for atlanta hawks logo

2014 - 15

• Like 4

Sustained. Not just one season.

My actual circumstances were....what team that was middling for years in the low mid 40s in wins....suddenly shot up to 50+ wins and sustained it, without adding a star player.

Think you'll find few teams like that.

The key is the STAR. No star no sustainability.

• Like 2

I said a lot of the 14/15 Hawks season had a lot to do with the "us against the world" mentality due to the Ferry situation. The team was fat and happy for most of the next year, and then the Dwight saga happened the following year (this year).

Perhaps, although it didn't have these circumstances, we see another season with the "us against the world" mentality?

Edited by Lurker

2 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

there will the one team that does something crazy.

It will be Philly. The last few seasons Philly has had to pay the minimum salary tax for being under the cap. It could easily be perceived as wasted money. Local talk in Philly is how that is wasted roster/salary space and that they aren't that far away now from their young talent booming.  Philly needs to make a splash to make their tank worth while. They are going to sign 2 FA this off-season and grossly overpay for 1.

Philly's current salary structure would be terrifying if anyone wanted to actually sigh there.

Jerryd Bayless - $9,000,000

Gerald Henderson - $9,000,000 (Team Option)

Ben Simmons - $6, 168,840

Joel Embiid - $6,100,266

Jahlil Okafor - $4,995,120

Nik Stauskas - $3,807,146

Dario Saric - $2,422,560

Justin Anderson - $1,579,440

Timothe Luwawu - $1,386,600

Richaun Holmes - $1,014,000 (Team Option)

Robert Covington - $1,087,745 (Team Option)

TJ McConnell - $1,014,746 (Team Option)

Shawn Long - $1,312,611 (Team Option)

Over $35 million guaranteed, another $14 million in team options. Even if they invoked every option, they're sitting at $49 million with $52 million in available cap space and if their FA target is a PF (see Millsap/Griffin), they could move more salary in moving Okafor, Simmons. If they declined their options, they have 7 open roster slots with $66 million cap space (or more) enough (for example) to sign Kyle Lowry, Gordon Hayward + have plenty to sign needed vets.  

The problem is convincing those stars to go there without engaging in background collusion.  But its possible. You could see a lineup next year in Philly with some imposing names lined up with Embiid and their other up and coming youngsters.

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, thecampster said:

It will be Philly. The last few seasons Philly has had to pay the minimum salary tax for being under the cap. It could easily be perceived as wasted money. Local talk in Philly is how that is wasted roster/salary space and that they aren't that far away now from their young talent booming.  Philly needs to make a splash to make their tank worth while. They are going to sign 2 FA this off-season and grossly overpay for 1.

Philly's current salary structure would be terrifying if anyone wanted to actually sigh there.

Jerryd Bayless - $9,000,000

Gerald Henderson - $9,000,000 (Team Option)

Ben Simmons - $6, 168,840

Joel Embiid - $6,100,266

Jahlil Okafor - $4,995,120

Nik Stauskas - $3,807,146

Dario Saric - $2,422,560

Justin Anderson - $1,579,440

Timothe Luwawu - $1,386,600

Richaun Holmes - $1,014,000 (Team Option)

Robert Covington - $1,087,745 (Team Option)

TJ McConnell - $1,014,746 (Team Option)

Shawn Long - $1,312,611 (Team Option)

Over $35 million guaranteed, another $14 million in team options. Even if they invoked every option, they're sitting at $49 million with $52 million in available cap space and if their FA target is a PF (see Millsap/Griffin), they could move more salary in moving Okafor, Simmons. If they declined their options, they have 7 open roster slots with $66 million cap space (or more) enough (for example) to sign Kyle Lowry, Gordon Hayward + have plenty to sign needed vets.  

The problem is convincing those stars to go there without engaging in background collusion.  But its possible. You could see a lineup next year in Philly with some imposing names lined up with Embiid and their other up and coming youngsters.

Millsap isn't going to Philly!  LOL!