• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Travis Schlenk: "The goal is to find another Steph Curry, Klay Thompson, Draymond Green"

GameTime

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ask the Timberwolves, Kings, Suns, Lakers, and 76ers about a "few down years".

Timberwolves: More talented than Atlanta, will likely surpass them in 17/18 even if Atlanta stands pat, by SRS they were close to doing it this year.
Kings: lol, awful franchise.
Suns: Have actually just started their "tank" after an attempt to compete in 15/16 ended horribly.
Lakers: Kobe Bryant was tying up their ability to actually start over, IMO.
76'ers: lol stocking up big men.

I hope you do realize that your statistic was very highly likely including teams that were rebuilding and were "up and coming" as a 40-49 win team, which this team is a team that is headed downward. The fact that you are not giving teams with that "stat" shows me that you are afraid of us looking up previous years and realizing that oh....they had just completed a rebuild and were coming up.

Name me the teams that had all of the aging and past their prime players the Hawks had that suddenly won 50-55 games without a trade for a star....name 'em!

One way to become a team that can get to the next level is by gathering assets to spend on a young up and coming player and building around said player.

Wait. S***. We don't like that. It'd mean at least soft rebuilding because the Hawks might have started thinking about this too late.

They could have had a better chance at doing it...if they traded Millsap but nooooooo Al had to get his feelings hurt.

For the record, I am not advocating for a full on hard tank...but I find it amazing that any type of rebuild...is dismissed. Which if Millsap is gone...and I'd say there's a good chance he's not back...it's a rebuild. However way you want to dress it up...it's a rebuild.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Ask the Timberwolves, Kings, Suns, Lakers, and 76ers about a "few down years".

Or ask the Warriors. Hence "smart drafting and a quality FA signing or two." I'm hoping he turns out to be an excellent GM. 

He's saying a lot of the right things. 

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

For the record, I am not advocating for a full on hard tank...but I find it amazing that any type of rebuild...is dismissed. Which if Millsap is gone...and I'd say there's a good chance he's not back...it's a rebuild. However way you want to dress it up...it's a rebuild.

What's even more strange is that the franchise hasn't entered a true rebuild in 10 YEARS. The fan base has watched a decade worth of  "competitive" ball. I'd understand the resistance better if the team was playoff starved like the Kings. 

Taking some years off isn't going to hurt anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

The same Warriors that went to one playoff in an 18 year span prior to this run.

The point is once they made the right selection with Curry and followed that up with a series of smart moves they became a great team after only a few years. It's not a guaranteed path to success by any stretch of the imagination, but what else can we do? Every team that's currently great was garbage before getting to that point. Like I said, I used to be all about remaining competitive and trying to find those hidden gems outside of the lottery with the hopes that a top FA would eventually look our way. Unfortunately that never happened and I don't think that way of operating is viable for us any longer. At one point we had a good team with a bunch of bargain contracts. Now we're looking at paying a boatload of money just to remain mediocre. Not one team in this league envies our position. Except maybe Brooklyn, but that doesn't really count.

Edited by High5

11 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I find it funny that most interpret the New GM's statement about finding a Curry, Green, and Thompson for the hawks means a full rebuild.  Meaning that we will not sign Millsap, trade Howard and Baze for nothing and take our chances thru the draft or work some magic in free agency to sign a couple of relevant players.  This is just a form of projection from the message board GM's most likely because they hate certain players or they feel that Bud has a certain style and cannot develop those players to better fit his system.  Quite frankly he didn't say any of the things found in several poster's imaginations.  Hopefully the plan is to see what he has and evaluate whether the current spare parts can be at the very least be a part of the team's immediate future.  Then he can focus on the draft and possible free agent signings that make sense for the team's future.

The "Millsap will not re-sign" came from his comments about overpaying for free agents being a bad practice and not something he would want to do. If we do keep Sap it will be discounted, if Schlenk means what he is saying with these quotes.

Edited by GameTime

3 minutes ago, RWF said:

Yes! I like this guy already.

Find a star through the draft. Enough of the 'happy to be here' playoff crap.

Find potential superstars to build around first then worry about the role players later. Makes sense.

Edited by GameTime
  • Like 1

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, GameTime said:

The "Millsap will not re-sign" came from his comments about overpaying for free agents being a bad practice and not something would want to do. If we do keep Sap it will be discounted if Schlenk means what he is saying with these quotes.

And again, you and others make the assumption that Sap's contract will be unreasonable.  You and others don't know how the rest of the league sees Millsap.  The league didn't think much of him when he initially signed a 2 year 18 million dollar deal with us years ago.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, GameTime said:

The "Millsap will not re-sign" came from his comments about overpaying for free agents being a bad practice and not something would want to do. If we do keep Sap it will be discounted if Schlenk means what he is saying with these quotes.

I think it's more than that based on the entirety of his comments...

We’ve got to be diligent with the guys we sign in free agency. One of the things we did in Golden State is we avoided signing bad contracts. All the guys we signed in free agency were on deals that were moveable. If you sign a bad free agent contract and it’s a deal that can’t be moved, that can hold your franchise down.”