• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do you feel about yet another Spur being unloaded on us?

JTB

By now you've heard about all the cp3 to Spurs rumors this summer, well the rumor in my opinion seems legit and something the Spurs will try to make happen but to do this they must unload salary as it's the only way possible for them to pick up cp3 and give him the money he would command.

so I bring up our Hawks being that we've done business before with the Spurs  (splitter) and because of Buds ties to their franchise I'm thinking our new GM is going to get a phone call from the Spurs this summer about unloading a few of their players to make this happen and unlike last time these players have a bit more quality. 

The players I'm seeing that's likely going to be dealt is Danny Green & Patty Mills if the Spurs are going to make this happen  .simi if the Hawks could possibly land one of two green or mills or both would that satisfy you as a Hawks fan? Or do you feel like we are just doing the Spurs a favor again?

• Like 1

Well @JTB, I know Patty Mills is a free agent due to my thread of free agents for the Hawks. I like Patty Mills and I think he's gonna get paid well as an unrestricted free agent due to the fact that he's a top 5 backup point in the league. He would be an excellent backup to Dennis and Bud is familiar with him obviously so that could work granted the price tag isn't ridiculous m.

I liked Danny Green a lot more a couple of years back. Whether it's his  age or that vision issue, I'd probably not be interested in trading for him. I think his best days are behind him.

By now you've heard about all the cp3 to Spurs rumors this summer, well the rumor in my opinion seems legit and something the Spurs will try to make happen but to do this they must unload salary as it's the only way possible for them to pick up cp3 and give him the money he would command.

so I bring up our Hawks being that we've done business before with the Spurs  (splitter) and because of Buds ties to their franchise I'm thinking our new GM is going to get a phone call from the Spurs this summer about unloading a few of their players to make this happen and unlike last time these players have a bit more quality. 

The players I'm seeing that's likely going to be dealt is Danny Green & Patty Mills if the Spurs are going to make this happen  .simi if the Hawks could possibly land one of two green or mills or both would that satisfy you as a Hawks fan? Or do you feel like we are just doing the Spurs a favor again?

To put it simply, NO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As Spud pointed out Mills is a free agent so SAS will have to let him walk. They'd also need Pau to not pick up his option, trade Green or Parker(or both, haven't looked at their numbers closely) to get close to signing CP3, his max starts at $35 mil.

In order to sign Griffin to play alongside Millsap the Hawks will need to get rid of Dwight AND Baze to pay him his max of $30 mil.

Think Patty does make us better actually, may be expensive but think about Delaney or Baze getting minutes as our backup point and believe our plus/minus improves enough to help take games. Keep hoping for minutes from Bembry there but not really expecting it, don't know if #60 brings in a point that can make the roster and don't know is Jose comes back so I would show Patty interest and the system is so similar he would listen, plus the Bud connection counts I am thinking. Green can really shoot the three though his percentage dipped a little this year and last but he already is getting ten million and feel he had less impact the past two seasons so moving forward wouldn't expect improvement. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Spud2Nique said:

Well @JTB, I know Patty Mills is a free agent due to my thread of free agents for the Hawks. I like Patty Mills and I think he's gonna get paid well as an unrestricted free agent due to the fact that he's a top 5 backup point in the league. He would be an excellent backup to Dennis and Bud is familiar with him obviously so that could work granted the price tag isn't ridiculous m.

I liked Danny Green a lot more a couple of years back. Whether it's his  age or that vision issue, I'd probably not be interested in trading for him. I think his best days are behind him.

Oops! Forgot mills was a free agent. Maybe it was green and pau I heard about.

6 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Why not try to make a big move on our own?  Because if Paul goes to the Spurs, that's essentially the end of the Clippers.  And if that's the case, why not go after Blake Griffin?   Dump our scrubs off on someone else, and go with a frontline that features Griffin and Millsap.  And if you wanted to keep Howard around, that's fine too.

Patty Mills is solid, but he's not making this team much better than we already are right now.  Would I turn down an opportunity to sign him?  No.

I looovveeee this idea! Unfortunately we're probably one of the few on this board that do.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, JTB said:

I looovveeee this idea! Unfortunately we're probably one of the few on this board that do.

How very clairvoyant of you!  

I'm straight on any one foot in, one foot out Spurs players too.  Schlenk made it clear: we're building (for a long time) through the draft.  With these ungodly salaries it's the only logical mode of operation when you're an afterthought in terms of desirable FA destinations and have absolutely nothing of considerable value for trade.

EZPass on Mills and Green.  Green is done ... Doney Green.  Mills is VASTLY overrated on this board.  He's reaching legendary status of guys like Mar$chwag Brooks aka the next Kobe.

And @JayBirdHawk it'd be Griffin instead of Sap, not Sap and Griffin IMHO.

When I opened the thread, I figured it was another LMA idea.  Only Spurs I want are Leonard (duh) or that Bertrans guy.  JMEO

• Premium Member

Think the especially cozy relationship with Spurs ended with the hiring of our new GM. Not saying we won't be dealing with them at all, but there's a natural difference when the top decision-maker is so close to that franchise versus when the top decision-maker isn't.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, sturt said:

Think the especially cozy relationship with Spurs ended with the hiring of our new GM. Not saying we won't be dealing with them at all, but there's a natural difference when the top decision-maker is so close to that franchise versus when the top decision-maker isn't.

My conspiracy theory is that some renumeration was expected from the Splitter deal that ultimately  never came.  Thus we stepped back from the whole Spursean tree.

ETA: And I'm fine with backing away from it.  Seems the Spurs network only exists to help the folks in San Antonio.

I hope the days of bending over for the Spurs are over.  Granted it was only one deal, but it's a bad precedent to set.  I think this is going to be a very long and boring off season for us.  Millsap walks like most of us know.  Schlenk doesn't want bad contracts, but neither do most GMs.  Which is why Baze and Howard are back.  To me all signs point to being very methodical in the draft and free agent signings only to fill out the roster.  He's going to see what he has in the upcoming season and go from there.  I will save him the trouble and let him know what he has...an erratic point guard who has potential who was the only reason the Hawks didn't get swept in the playoffs.  Prince is an emerging young kid who quite possibly played his best ball in the playoffs.  Other than that you got nothing, but a ton of work ahead of you, Mr. Schlenk.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, kg01 said:

Mills is VASTLY overrated on this board.

We are talking about bringing him in as a backup to Dennis. In the elimination game against Houston without Kawhi, Mills was a +25 with seven assists and one turnover. Pretty good example in a huge game whether Harden checked out or not. Patty would be big for Dennis and us and he can actually shoot from distance to boot. 

• Like 2

Just now, Thomas said:

We are talking about bringing him in as a  backup to Dennis. In the elimination game against Houston without Kawhi, Mills was a +25 with seven assists and one turnover. Pretty good example in a huge game whether Harden checked out or not. Patty would be big for Dennis and us and he can actually shoot from distance to boot. 

That 1 game sample is a prime example of the pyrite that tricks people into thinking he could handle a bigger load.  He's aided by their system in ways he wouldn't be here.

How was he vs GS when it was known he'd be relied on more?

3 minutes ago, kg01 said:

That 1 game sample is a prime example of the pyrite that tricks people into thinking he could handle a bigger load.  He's aided by their system in ways he wouldn't be here.

How was he vs GS when it was known he'd be relied on more?

Other than Kawhi how was anyone against GSW, be realistic. We are talking a backup point here.

• Like 1

Just now, Thomas said:

Other than Kawhi how was anyone against GSW, be realistic.

I contend, outside that Spurs umbrella, he'd turn back into a pumpkin.  EZPass lane.

13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I contend, outside that Spurs umbrella, he'd turn back into a pumpkin.  EZPass lane.

Shouldn't you be in the exit lane and not in the fastest possible lane to get there?? 

One thing I do agree on is getting a proven backup PG for Dennis. Nothing will help us out more on the court than that. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member
53 minutes ago, kg01 said:

My conspiracy theory is that some renumeration was expected from the Splitter deal that ultimately  never came.  Thus we stepped back from the whole Spursean tree.

ETA: And I'm fine with backing away from it.  Seems the Spurs network only exists to help the folks in San Antonio.

Ummmm... I tap the brakes on that, b/c I don't think anyone on either side of the equation thought Splitter would be on the injured list for virtually the entirety of his time on the Hawks payroll. And he wasn't a difference maker, but he was a contributing asset when he did get to play. I chalk that one up to just bad luck more than anything, me.

• Like 4