• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do you feel about yet another Spur being unloaded on us?

JTB

• Premium Member
49 minutes ago, Alex said:

I hope the days of bending over for the Spurs are over.  Granted it was only one deal, but it's a bad precedent to set.  I think this is going to be a very long and boring off season for us.  Millsap walks like most of us know.  Schlenk doesn't want bad contracts, but neither do most GMs.  Which is why Baze and Howard are back.  To me all signs point to being very methodical in the draft and free agent signings only to fill out the roster.  He's going to see what he has in the upcoming season and go from there.  I will save him the trouble and let him know what he has...an erratic point guard who has potential who was the only reason the Hawks didn't get swept in the playoffs.  Prince is an emerging young kid who quite possibly played his best ball in the playoffs.  Other than that you got nothing, but a ton of work ahead of you, Mr. Schlenk.

In this era, I don't discount the willingness of a franchise with cap room, and a big interest in acquiring draft picks... say, like Brooklyn?... being willing to take a bad contract in exchange for a draft pick or two.

Just saw that same thing play out in the NFL with the Browns and Texans, right?

Just sayin... who knows. Grab some popcorn.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, terrellgroup said:

In my opinion , I only want to discuss starters, you know the MEAT of the team. Backups are needed, but we are not at the point yet. We need a legit 2, 4 and 5 spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a starting 2 and 5 being paid tons of money. It's highly unlikely either will be someplace else next year. We'll probably address the 4 spot heavily in the draft and either by re-signing Millsap or finding a replacement from another team. That's a given. 

If we don't have a backup PG capable of starting then nothing else will matter next season. 

• Like 2

We have a starting 2 and 5 being paid tons of money. It's highly unlikely either will be someplace else next year. We'll probably address the 4 spot heavily in the draft and either by re-signing Millsap or finding a replacement from another team. That's a given. 

If we don't have a backup PG capable of starting then nothing else will matter next season. 

How much a player is getting paid , has nothing to do with being legitimate starter. Howard maybe here another year or so, but he is definitely not the future.

The Hawks future is Dennis and prince, at least for right now.

If we do resign Sap, he is still not your future. Milsap is your right now, hell isnt he like 30 plus.

Like I said in my post, about me being a GM and what I would do.

If you resign Sap you better have a legit 2 guard to sign with him , like a trade for Derozan , or Butler. If you not seriously upgrading the 2 position, why resign him? That makes no sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sturt said:

In this era, I don't discount the willingness of a franchise with cap room, and a big interest in acquiring draft picks... say, like Brooklyn?... being willing to take a bad contract in exchange for a draft pick or two.

Just saw that same thing play out in the NFL with the Browns and Texans, right?

Just sayin... who knows. Grab some popcorn.

I just don't see Schlenk willing to part ways with draft picks.  I guess only time will tell, but based on his comments I just don't see him wanting to trade away picks right now.  I suppose that begs the question as to what is more important to him?  His draft picks or being able to cut bait with one or two bad contracts presumably Dwight and Bazemore.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JTB said:

By now you've heard about all the cp3 to Spurs rumors this summer, well the rumor in my opinion seems legit and something the Spurs will try to make happen but to do this they must unload salary as it's the only way possible for them to pick up cp3 and give him the money he would command.

so I bring up our Hawks being that we've done business before with the Spurs  (splitter) and because of Buds ties to their franchise I'm thinking our new GM is going to get a phone call from the Spurs this summer about unloading a few of their players to make this happen and unlike last time these players have a bit more quality. 

The players I'm seeing that's likely going to be dealt is Danny Green & Patty Mills if the Spurs are going to make this happen  .simi if the Hawks could possibly land one of two green or mills or both would that satisfy you as a Hawks fan? Or do you feel like we are just doing the Spurs a favor again?

No... I'm not interested in trying to make more title contenders.

• Like 3

I thought this would be an Aldridge thread, glad it's not. BTW, I can't be alone in thinking Yes-Way-Jose is the perfect/cheap backup to The Menace.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

I'm still waiting for the Spurs to apologize for dumping the Ghost Of Tiago Splitter on us. There's no way I'd help them get CP3 by taking on their cast offs. In fact, I sincerely hope the Hawks are done helping other teams period. Favors are for friends and there are no friends in a competitive environment.

• Like 4

We are not helping the Spurs or anyone else if we are able to sign Patty Mills to a reasonable deal, if one actually exists. The pros being the system and he performed well until the train wreck that is playing GSW without Kawhi. He helped tremendously in that elimination game against the Rockets without Kawhi available and is a good perimeter shooter. He replaced Parker in the Houston series as a starter for two games and played over forty minutes in one and no one knew the difference. He's an UFA and with the Spurs possibly pursuing CP3 no trade would be needed, no favors involved just a strong seasoned backup to Dennis.

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/san-antonio-spurs/patrick-mills-6322/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, hazer said:

I thought this would be an Aldridge thread, glad it's not. BTW, I can't be alone in thinking Yes-Way-Jose is the perfect/cheap backup to The Menace.

Would definitely like him as one of the three listed points with Delaney disappearing, mysteriously or not. Bembry would always be available as well. Dennis, Mills, Jose and the utility Bembry would cover any circumstance in regular season and playoffs. Whether Mills is possible or not Jose should be here and Delaney should not. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Whether Mills is possible or not Jose should be here and Delaney should not. 

You mean DeLamey...

• Like 2

Good shooters usually stay good shooters, they can have a down season or two....Patty Mills is not what the Hawks need at PG (even backup PG) unless they're going to let DeAndre Bembry playmake a lot. A little irony, I've said JJ Frazier of UGA's probable best case scenario would be a Patty Mills type microwave guy with slightly better playmaking ability. And even this honestly isn't that likely (I'd still invite him to summer league but its more likely he goes overseas and never breaks through in the NBA).

Danny Green's shooting was closer to his career norm after that down year but that dude may be worse than Korver in trying to create his own offense.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Patty Mills with Australia is lit AF. He's much more of an OG than an actual PG and that comes out with Australia...in good ways. They merely got the bronze but it was fun for me the times I watched Australia with Mills as the #1 option for them last year.

Edited by Lurker
  • Like 1

Again, Yes-Way-Jose is the PERFECT Hawks backup PG. Especially since daFro can 3rd string it.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hazer said:

Again, Yes-Way-Jose is the PERFECT Hawks backup PG. Especially since daFro can 3rd string it.

I'm down with No way Jose if he resigns with us...he might start championship chasing though...:-(

On 5/29/2017 at 1:23 AM, JTB said:

By now you've heard about all the cp3 to Spurs rumors this summer, well the rumor in my opinion seems legit and something the Spurs will try to make happen but to do this they must unload salary as it's the only way possible for them to pick up cp3 and give him the money he would command.

so I bring up our Hawks being that we've done business before with the Spurs  (splitter) and because of Buds ties to their franchise I'm thinking our new GM is going to get a phone call from the Spurs this summer about unloading a few of their players to make this happen and unlike last time these players have a bit more quality. 

The players I'm seeing that's likely going to be dealt is Danny Green & Patty Mills if the Spurs are going to make this happen  .simi if the Hawks could possibly land one of two green or mills or both would that satisfy you as a Hawks fan? Or do you feel like we are just doing the Spurs a favor again?

The SA-ATL pipeline may end with Schlenk so taking on salary may not even be an option. If he was to deal with SA, Mills will be an overpaid FA and I wouldn't want Green - he can't create his own shot and he's about to enter his 30s. If I was ATL, I wouldn't take anyone over the age of 27 especially from SA. It's just like the Pats, if the Pats let you go something is wrong. 

14 hours ago, Alex said:

I hope the days of bending over for the Spurs are over.  Granted it was only one deal, but it's a bad precedent to set.  I think this is going to be a very long and boring off season for us.  Millsap walks like most of us know.  Schlenk doesn't want bad contracts, but neither do most GMs.  Which is why Baze and Howard are back.  To me all signs point to being very methodical in the draft and free agent signings only to fill out the roster.  He's going to see what he has in the upcoming season and go from there.  I will save him the trouble and let him know what he has...an erratic point guard who has potential who was the only reason the Hawks didn't get swept in the playoffs.  Prince is an emerging young kid who quite possibly played his best ball in the playoffs.  Other than that you got nothing, but a ton of work ahead of you, Mr. Schlenk.

Maybe Schlenk could flip Baze for other another bad contract like Deng's. 

Deng said he's now out of position playing SF, better off playing PF like he did in MIA and a trade would clear a possible PF logjam in LA.

Meanwhile Baze could be the vet SG off the bench in LA since Young should opt out and chase the money. I'm sure Walton is familiar with Baze since he coached with the LA D League team while Baze was in LA.