• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THJ vs Waiters....who fits Buds system better?

JTB

Before we rip off into yet another possible deep discussion I must say I'm looking forward to seeing THJ signed long term on a good deal with the Hawks this summer however Dion Waiters is somewhat intriguing and should be considered.

Im not sure if it's been discussed around here (if so my bad, don't remember )...but looking at free agency these two are probably the best scoring potential SGs available who ironically both had career years with THJ having a better efficient year overall. 

LETS JUMP INTO IT:

-Though Waiters had a less efficient year from the field than THJ he did have a better year shooting 3s than THJ.

-Defensively I think they're both in the same boat but THJ showing much improvement towards the end of the season on that end may give him the slight edge (not sure if the same can be said about Waiters). Plus no need to jump too far into defense as neither are game changers on that end but I do like the fact that we know THJ is improving in that area.

-Overall I see two players that are very similar but THJ now shows more patience within his offense thanks to bud & staff which allowed him to be more efficient. Dion seems more aggressive offensively but THJ was aggressive in the same manner when he was with the Knicks and quite frankly being more aggressive isn't always a good thing if you're poorly disciplined which I think Waiters still is compared to THJ (Good example of aggressive poor decision offensive talent: Brandon Jennings).

Conclusion:

At the end of the day I see two things that stick out for Waiters that may interest the Hawks in going after him over retaining THJ and that's being a slightly better 3pt shooter (atleast this past season) & to me it looks like he has more speed than THJ (don't know for sure but if so) which is always a nice addition especially being that we already have one of the fastest and quickest young point guards in the league. It'd be great to have faster back court.

Thoughts if any? Who would you give the money to between these two if you're in Schlenk position?

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Dion McChuckers....

Dion McI'minacontractyear

Dion McImagitdamoneyandrun

Yep someone will regret giving him his next contract. At least THj has his dad to keep him focused if he isn't bringing the effort. 

• Like 2

I didn't see enough of Waiters last season to weigh in so I'll go with @Dolfan23's synopsis.  I do know he was a bum stiggedy bum his first two stops.  I'm a Spo fan so I'll lean towards giving him the lion's share of credit for his good contract season.  

Tim is one of the rare players I like watching but could take or leave him.  His scoring and shooting, already good, will likely get better but for a very athletic 6'6" 2 he leaves much to be desired.  FT attempts, rebounding, passing, and defense all need to uptick.  He's at the age now where he needs to get in the weight room for real and put on about 10 more muscle pounds.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

On 6/4/2017 at 0:57 AM, JTB said:

Before we rip off into yet another possible deep discussion I must say I'm looking forward to seeing THJ signed long term on a good deal with the Hawks this summer however Dion Waiters is somewhat intriguing and should be considered.

Im not sure if it's been discussed around here (if so my bad, don't remember )...but looking at free agency these two are probably the best scoring potential SGs available who ironically both had career years with THJ having a better efficient year overall. 

LETS JUMP INTO IT:

-Though Waiters had a less efficient year from the field than THJ he did have a better year shooting 3s than THJ.

-Defensively I think they're both in the same boat but THJ showing much improvement towards the end of the season on that end may give him the slight edge (not sure if the same can be said about Waiters). Plus no need to jump too far into defense as neither are game changers on that end but I do like the fact that we know THJ is improving in that area.

-Overall I see two players that are very similar but THJ now shows more patience within his offense thanks to bud & staff which allowed him to be more efficient. Dion seems more aggressive offensively but THJ was aggressive in the same manner when he was with the Knicks and quite frankly being more aggressive isn't always a good thing if you're poorly disciplined which I think Waiters still is compared to THJ (Good example of aggressive poor decision offensive talent: Brandon Jennings).

Conclusion:

At the end of the day I see two things that stick out for Waiters that may interest the Hawks in going after him over retaining THJ and that's being a slightly better 3pt shooter (atleast this past season) & to me it looks like he has more speed than THJ (don't know for sure but if so) which is always a nice addition especially being that we already have one of the fastest and quickest young point guards in the league. It'd be great to have faster back court.

Thoughts if any? Who would you give the money to between these two if you're in Schlenk position?

Waiters said he wants to come back to Miami. Teams like Philly (hometown), Nets (likes young talent) can offer more money than ATL.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:43 PM, benhillboy said:

I'm a Spo fan so I'll lean towards giving him the lion's share of credit for his good contract season.  

Since Spoelstra somehow got through to Whiteside I do believe he had a lot to do with Waiters being such a good part of the rotation this season. A risk not knowing if the work ethic is really driven by the coach or from within the player. Believe his history prior to this season is where the answer lies.

17 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Want no part of Dion ... he is an overrated chucker who doesn't defend or pass

Wait, we talking about Chuk McCollum?

(Don't mind me, cap.  That was a dig at @Spud2Nique)

On topic, I agree with cap and @Dolfan23's assessment.  Nowhere has Waiters ever shown a team-first attitude ... oh yeah, other than in his contract year ... all of a sudden.  Does that not raise a red flag for you, @JTB?

1 hour ago, kg01 said:

Wait, we talking about Chuk McCollum?

(Don't mind me, cap.  That was a dig at @Spud2Nique)

On topic, I agree with cap and @Dolfan23's assessment.  Nowhere has Waiters ever shown a team-first attitude ... oh yeah, other than in his contract year ... all of a sudden.  Does that not raise a red flag for you, @JTB?

Please tell me ur not comparing my CJ McCollum to this bum Waiters? That's not even funny man. Smh.

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

Hell no!!! Do you watch the NBA?  Dion will likely get his own signature line of "Chuck Taylor's" from converse. See what I did there?? LOL!!!:biggrin:

Skrong!!!

IMG_9946.GIF

1 minute ago, Spud2Nique said:

Please tell me ur not comparing my CJ McCollum to this bum Waiters? That's not even funny man. Smh.

Chuk is slightly better.  Slightly.