• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Salary Cap: Post-Dwight Howard trade edition

Admin

• Premium Member
4 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Travis Schlenk is clearly one to value flexibility with respect to the salary cap. He broke down an approximately $23.5 million contract into a $6.6 million and $12.5 million. That’s an immediate savings of $4.4 million on the 2017-18 cap and more manageable contracts in a potential trade. The next year sees an $11.4 million savings on a salary cap currently projected by the NBA to be at $102 million. This does come at the cost of reducing the amount of potential cap space in 2019-20 by $12.5 million, although by that time the salary cap is projected to be up to $111 million.

This is an important time to note that cap space can be utilized for more than simply signing free agents. Cap space greatly relaxes the constraints on trades and opens up the possibility to renegotiate current contracts in a way to appease players (a-la Russell Westbrook this past off-season).

Schlenk has positioned himself to at least have the option of utilizing cap space. Prior to this trade, Schlenk’s options were more limited in the near future but now Schlenk at least has a viable option to make further trades and or signings. And that option value is certainly valuable even though it may be difficult to quantify.

This.

1 hour ago, sturt said:

This.

And this subtle jab... And that option value is certainly valuable even though it may be difficult to quantify.

Jab, jab, body blow, left hook, uppercut, boom. Down go the haters. Send in the medical staff with preparation H immediately. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

And this subtle jab... And that option value is certainly valuable even though it may be difficult to quantify.

Jab, jab, body blow, left hook, uppercut, boom. Down go the haters. Send in the medical staff with preparation H immediately. 

Why not just stretch Howard's contract instead?  Solve the problem without taking on worse problems.  What's $4 million more a year among friends.

Edited by Watchman

2 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Why not just stretch Howard's contract instead?  Solve the problem without taking on worse problems.

Stretching Plumlee is 4 million less per year (for 2 years longer) which could be the difference between being able to sign or trade for someone we really want or not. We can also use Plumlee to take back 17.5 million in salary while only sending out his 12.5. That makes him a a far more tradeable piece than Dwight was simply due to how much Dwight made. Then we have Belli as a tradeable asset to get another player. 

31 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Funny that all the armchair GMs are avoiding reading this topic since it pretty much destroys their theory of how bad this trade is for our cap situation and how Plumlee is the worst contract in basketball. 

Damn I miss Hawksfanatic around here telling it like it is feelings be damned. 

Didn't you hate him?  Or was that AHF?  Probably AHF.  He secretly hates everybody.

23 minutes ago, kg01 said:

Didn't you hate him?  Or was that AHF?  Probably AHF.  He secretly hates everybody.

Nope he was a good dude... angry and a drunk and short tempered... sort of like you but without the weird @Spud2Nique fetish that you have. 

And yes I do hate @AHF. Always giving us lawyer speak and making you wonder what point you were arguing in the 1st place. 

• Like 3

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Nope he was a good dude... angry and a drunk and short tempered... sort of like you but without the weird @Spud2Nique fetish that you have. 

And yes I do hate AHF. Always giving us lawyer speak and making you wonder what point you were arguing in the 1st place. 

I thought I was the only one who thought all of that.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
30 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Why not just stretch Howard's contract instead?  Solve the problem without taking on worse problems.  What's $4 million more a year among friends.

Can you answer that, or do you really need someone else to? Honestly... not trying to be a smart ass (this time)...I really think you could.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bankingitbig said:

This article alludes to something I have been thinking about regarding Dunleavy and Portland. It is obvious Portland wants to shed some salary to lessen their tax burden. They also happen to have three first round picks this year. Wonder if they would take Dunleavy, Kelly and the #41 pick for Ezeli and #26 pick. Portland could then waive Dunleavy and Kelly since they are non-guaranteed contracts.

@Bankingitbig  Festus and #26 for Dunleavy works straight up.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

And yes I do hate @AHF. Always giving us lawyer speak and making you wonder what point you were arguing in the 1st place. 

I knew you made me a mod to ruin my life.  Then you go leave us alone spending some 'quality time' in the penitentiary.  Last time I send you smokes there to keep 'Big Manny' off your back (in every sense of the word).  Some people.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dolfan23 said:

So if we used the stretch provision we could take Plumlee's cap hit all the way down to 5.3 million per season. 

To be clear, Hawksfanatic's status is going to change after July 1st. The numbers he is using that state we have no cap room are pre-july1. Once Millsap signs elsewhere (assuming we don't sign and trade), his cap hold comes off the books. Same with Moose and assuming we don't trade Dunleavy tomorrow night and we release him, we gain another 3.5 million.  He's using these numbers because they apply for trades tomorrow night.  But 2 weeks from now, the landscape is very different.

25 minutes ago, thecampster said:

To be clear, Hawksfanatic's status is going to change after July 1st. The numbers he is using that state we have no cap room are pre-july1. Once Millsap signs elsewhere (assuming we don't sign and trade), his cap hold comes off the books. Same with Moose and assuming we don't trade Dunleavy tomorrow night and we release him, we gain another 3.5 million.  He's using these numbers because they apply for trades tomorrow night.  But 2 weeks from now, the landscape is very different.

Yes but it doesn't change the fact that we're in much better position to make moves without Dwight than we were with Dwight.