• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Atlanta Hawks Salary Cap: Post-Dwight Howard trade edition

Admin

Just now, Dolfan23 said:

That's very true but you don't trade for Lopez if your plan is to tank. 

Being able to switch gears is the definition of being flexible. We went into tank mode when we got less of a player in return. If something comes along that is great, he will switch gears again.

6 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I am not going to hate on the deal. Schlenk is in charge and we will see. I do think its going to be a long frigging season and not a lot of wins.

At this point you are probably correct. But we still have the draft, plenty of trade ammo and who knows what we'll do in FA. I'm not getting my hopes up and quite honestly I want us to trim the fat around here (no offense to you know who) and build around our young players. I don't mind a few losing seasons to build a young core. 

1 minute ago, Buzzard said:

Being able to switch gears is the definition of being flexible. We went into tank mode when we got less of a player in return. If something comes along that is great, he will switch gears again.

How is it "tank" mode? Were we in "win" mode with Dwight last year? The stats were already Tweeted earlier by ESPN that the Hawks were better when Dwight was off the floor so I don't see how subtracting him puts us into tank mode. 

And there's a BIG difference between switching gears and switching long term strategy in a few hours based on a trade that didn't happen. 

5 minutes ago, sturt said:

Wouldn't assume they would have--many combinations they could have used. But had that been the case, I also would not be surprised to learn we were having to give up our #19 as part of it too. I mean, really, there is no way to assess what could've been. We don't even necessarily know that Schlenk considered the Nets trade would have been better--just that there was a conversation.

I am not saying anything other than what was reported. It does not matter what could have happened. We did our deal and now have 19 and 41. The Lakers did beat us to the punch and I do not blame anyone for that. They gave up a lot in Russell to get Lopez. We did not have anything remotely close to a #3 pick,

Edited by Buzzard

4 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

How is it "tank" mode? Were we in "win" mode with Dwight last year? The stats were already Tweeted earlier by ESPN that the Hawks were better when Dwight was off the floor so I don't see how subtracting him puts us into tank mode. 

And there's a BIG difference between switching gears and switching long term strategy in a few hours based on a trade that didn't happen. 

I really don't see it that way. Be fluid is being fluid. If we get a chance to land Butler or George we will land him. 

3 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Bankingitbig  Festus and #26 for Dunleavy works straight up.

I thought it didn't because we would be trading Dunleavy's 2016-2017 salary which is $4,837,500. So could only take back $7,356,250 ($4,837,500 * 150% +$100,000). Whereas Ezeli's salary is $7,400,00. Plus I thought our #41 pick would need to be included to make it worthwhile for them, but I honestly don't know how much they value shedding salary.

4 minutes ago, Bankingitbig said:

I thought it didn't because we would be trading Dunleavy's 2016-2017 salary which is $4,837,500. So could only take back $7,356,250 ($4,837,500 * 150% +$100,000). Whereas Ezeli's salary is $7,400,00. Plus I thought our #41 pick would need to be included to make it worthwhile for them, but I honestly don't know how much they value shedding salary.

I think we have space under the cap to take on more than we send out.

• Moderators

Will be very interesting to follow the team this offseason.  Could go a lot of different ways.  The Plumlee acquisition happening so fast sure looks like tanking but we'll see.

NBA Salary Cap For 17-18 Drops From One-Time Projection Of $108M All The Way Down To $99M.

This is now $3 million less than the $102 used in previous calculations.

The NBA has informed teams the new cap is expected to be at $99 million for the 17-18 season.

The most recent projection in April was at $101 million.

Before that lowered projection, it was at $103 million and was at one time projected to be as high as $108 million.

The cap for the 16-17 season was $94.1 million.

A drop in the number of playoff games played contributed to the drop, as did teams spending more in 2016 free agency than anticipated.

5 hours ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

It was me.

I respect his knowledge of the cap and that kind of stuff, but I just didn't like him outside of that. 

LOL . . . he hardly ever posted unless it was cap related topics.  And you still hated him?   

I know you're capable of "hating", but not actual "hate".   Shocking.

We did painfully lose our 31 for 41 but see the logic of the overall trade with several birds being dealt by with one stone. Salary, setting screens, pick and roll D, fumbled passes, back to backs and whatever the level of locker room stuff that actually did exist. Maybe the biggest one is Dwight is not part of the Warrior's model, plain and simple. And that model is definitely Schlenk's goal.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

Let me clarify this.  For the purposes of any trade happening before July 8th (ish) we are operating at the 94 million cap number. In that scenario we are 2.5 million under the cap (barring holds etc). On July 1st that changes to a theoretical number.  Including Holds....we have nothing (thank you Sap, Moose, Thabo, etc cap holds). Theoretically on July 8th (ish) and counting only the 19th pick we have about $36 million with the new cap number. This doesn't include THj's new contract (if any) or the credit of 3.3 million if he signs elsewhere, cap savings if Dunleavy is released before July 1, any trades on draft night etc.  Also, when dealing with the hard numbers Hawksfanatic provided it is important to remember that hard numbers only exist in the NBA during the actual season. Prior to the start of the season and during the assembly of the roster, moves are made in theoretical space. Players can be signed and rosters built but the deals not finalized until the moving pieces are reorganized like deck chairs on the Titanic.  At the request of the teams, the NBA finalizes the deals in the order that allows the salary cap shenanigans to work out right. This is why you'll see teams announce the signing or trading of a player but sometimes the official announcement doesn't hit Yahoo for days. That is because it is waiting for dominoes to fall into place to be official. In cases like this you'll hear phrases like, "have agreed in principle" or "pending league approval" or "the deal will be finalized after July xx". This kind of thing happened with Durant last year. See here: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/16759826/kevin-durant-announces-sign-golden-state-warriors

[ "Durant's contract can be finalized Thursday, when the leaguewide moratorium on signings and trades is lifted.

Warriors coach Steve Kerr was in Hawaii and said he learned about Durant's decision to join Golden State via The Players' Tribune, ESPN's Ramona Shelburne reported.

The Warriors plan to renounce their rights to Harrison Barnes, sources told Stein, to help clear the salary-cap space needed to sign Durant. That will make Barnes an unrestricted free agent on Thursday. Barnes, sources told Stein, remains on course to sign with the Dallas Mavericks, who reached a verbal agreement with the 24-year-old on a four-year max deal worth $94.4 million, no matter what happened with Durant."]

The situation with Barnes mirrors our situation with Thabo, Moose, Millsap etc. He reached agreement on the 5th, had to wait for the 8th and needed league clarity on the situation with Barnes.

Short answer is if the Hawks play it right and barring any roster changes on draft night they will have a theoretical, approximate $40 million to spend. Before July 1st they have a theoretical $2.5 million in room.

For medium deals ($10 mil +) the difference is a flat $5 million in theoretical space. So if they sent out just Baze (15.73 mil) they could take back $20.73 mil in salary.  Smaller deals the difference is the 50% rule if the deal puts them over the cap (this year). Large deals the 25% rule. See below

Non-Taxpaying Teams

Outgoing salary Maximum incoming salary

$0 to $9.8 million. 150% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

$9.8 million to $19.6 million.  The outgoing salary plus $5 million

$19.6 million and up. 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

Taxpaying Teams

Outgoing salary. Maximum incoming salary

Any. 125% of the outgoing salary, plus $100,000

So in the case of the original question if the deal puts the Hawks over the cap by trading Dunleavy's 4.8375 million, the Hawks can take back (4.8375 x 1.5 +.1) mil = 7,356,250 million in salary. or 4.8375 + (94 - 91.548496 million (2.451504 mil)) = 7.289004....whichever was greater (obviously the exception deal). 

Now here is where it gets fun.  Because the Hawks are after the season, they could include any scrub off the bench who must be waived before the next game  (which there are none) to meet the roster maximum and in order to make up the 50k difference. So including Calderon technically works.

9 hours ago, JayBirdHawk said:

4 hours ago, thecampster said:

Let me clarify this.  For the purposes of any trade happening before July 8th (ish) we are operating at the 94 million cap number. In that scenario we are 2.5 million under the cap (barring holds etc).

This is true if we renounce the TPE's. Currently we are at $101,241,635, which includes four TPEs of $10,024,776 (Howard, Scott, Williams and Splitter). Those would need to be renounced for us to be operating under the $94,143,000 cap. We would then have $2,926,141 of space if all were renounced, but not entirely sure the value of those TPEs going forward or how Schlenk could use them really.

• Moderators
10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

LOL . . . he hardly ever posted unless it was cap related topics.  And you still hated him?   

Fanatic was a great poster but could turn on the *#$&&.  This was the emoticon for HF is being a #$*#&:  :sun:

• Like 2

10 hours ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

He and @Hotlanta1981 had some heated battles.  I miss those days.  It was hilarious.