• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

2018 draft

bleachkit

39 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Wiggins is a volume shooter and nothing else.  He averaged 22 points a game on 19 shots a game.  He's below average in everything else.  

Randle isn't good.  Neither is Parker.  

What cracks me up is this idea that these guys who are now 22 years of age are not what they are going to be yet, but if they are 22 coming out of college, they have no upside.

I agree that Randle isn't good. But Jabari is really good but can't stay on the court. If he didn't keep getting hurt he'd probably be even better. I agree that it's dumb to say that 22 year olds have no upside. We also agree that Doncic is the guy I really get excited about in this class, but the other guys can be great too. We will see once they play in college.

• Like 1

I'm not trying to say that these guys will not be good players.  They may end up being good players.  Some of them might even develop into all star caliber players in the NBA.

The problem I have is that we hype them up like they are sure fire NBA Superstars/generational talents.  It's not just one or two guys.  It's 10-12 guys that get the hype.  It's just not logical or realistic to think that there are 10-12 NBA superstars in one high school class.  

I've watched that 2017 Nike Hoop Summit game.  The best player that was on the court in that game was not Michael Porter Jr.  It was Jaren Jackson Jr who will be a freshman at Michigan State.  

• Like 1

The hype makes headlines, but you are right. There's usually one guy with superstar potential in the draft. 3  max. The guys the media makes out to be the next big thing past that will be probably be good starters at best. Most of these guys end up in bad situations with bad coaches though. That's why I'm so excited bout guys like John Collins. If he were on the Kings or Magic, I wouldn't be. However, I've seen Bud and company elevate almost every player that has played for him to another level. If the Hawks really do bottom out this year, I believe Bud actually gives these top prospects the situation they need to actually be the superstars the media tries to sell them as.

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

The hype makes headlines, but you are right. There's usually one guy with superstar potential in the draft. 3  max. The guys the media makes out to be the next big thing past that will be probably be good starters at best. Most of these guys end up in bad situations with bad coaches though. That's why I'm so excited bout guys like John Collins. If he were on the Kings or Magic, I wouldn't be. However, I've seen Bud and company elevate almost every player that has played for him to another level. If the Hawks really do bottom out this year, I believe Bud actually gives these top prospects the situation they need to actually be the superstars the media tries to sell them as.

Heck, I'd venture to guess that there will be only one guy with star level potential, and that you get a true superstar once every few years in the draft.  

Lets look at the top rated draft prospect in each class over the last ten years.  Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie, Anthony Davis, a healthy Embiid, and KAT are all super star talents based on what they have done in the NBA. The last two haven't played yet. Rose and Griffin lost a step over the years, but greatness was there. I just think the hit rate for the guy considered top dog in each draft is pretty high.

19 minutes ago, CP61 said:

Lets look at the top rated draft prospect in each class over the last ten years.  Derrick Rose, Blake Griffin, John Wall, Kyrie, Anthony Davis, a healthy Embiid, and KAT are all super star talents based on what they have done in the NBA. The last two haven't played yet. Rose and Griffin lost a step over the years, but greatness was there. I just think the hit rate for the guy considered top dog in each draft is pretty high.

See, in my opinion, the only superstars that have been drafted recently are LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, and Kawhi Leonard.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KB21 said:

See, in my opinion, the only superstars that have been drafted recently are LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Stephen Curry, and Kawhi Leonard.  

My definition is being a consistent all-nba player. Then there's the class above superstar for those guys who can singlehandledly take a team to a championship. I don't bother projecting prospects to do that. It's to uncommon.

Edited by CP61

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

If you really want to look at ahead, check out:

Sekou Doumbouya

Kostas Antetokoumpo

I'm so angry with you right now . I wanted the Hawks to select Doncic but Greek Freak 2.0 !?!  Lawd let him be available for the Hawks.

Thanks.  He'll be 20 if he enters the draft next year.  Redshirted to develop a little more. I LOVE reading that.

Edited by marco102

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2017 at 0:28 AM, marco102 said:

I'm so angry with you right now . I wanted the Hawks to select Doncic but Greek Freak 2.0 !?!  Lawd let him be available for the Hawks.

Thanks.  He'll be 20 if he enters the draft next year.  Redshirted to develop a little more. I LOVE reading that.

....and there is another one.

Alexis Antetokounpo, 15 years old and already 6'5" with a 7'2" wingspan. 

• Like 1

Well, it looks like one of the overhyped prospects you guys want to tank to get may be in a little NCAA trouble and may not be able to play next year.  There is a report of Mo Bamba accepting improper benefits from an "advisor", and as a result, his eligibility to play in 2017-2018 is in question.  This is a prospect that needed to show some semblance of an offensive game to truly justify the hype that has been given to him in the early pre-2018 draft process. 

I'm really starting to think about the idea of landing Luka Doncic and man we've gotta get this guy. It's so rare to find a point forward that can shoot.. much less an 18 year old one doing it in pro league. Luka and John Collins PnR has the potential to be incredibly fun. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DBac said:

I'm really starting to think about the idea of landing Luka Doncic and man we've gotta get this guy. It's so rare to find a point forward that can shoot.. much less an 18 year old one doing it in pro league. Luka and John Collins PnR has the potential to be incredibly fun. 

Luka is the only prospect I'm willing to have a one year tank for.

Just now, marco102 said:

Luka is the only prospect I'm willing to have a one year tank for.

Right now I might be there. I loved Miles Bridges too this year and he's my favorite if we land in the 4-6 range. As for the other guys, I'll just wait until they get their college seasons out of the way.

I'm actually excited about a number of guys from this upcoming year that could be nice fits, here's my EARLY list for players to watch this upcoming year for y'all:

Michael Porter Jr. (SF) Missouri - I know a lot of people will think it's hype and only time will tell honestly, but it's not often you get a chance at a player of his physical attributes (6'10) that can score in such a variety of ways, with some development he could be KD-esque.

Luka Doncic (SG) International - I'll start off by saying I really don't trust drafting overseas prospects because they're just really a toss up most of the time with how they pan out. One second folks claiming they're Jordan esque, the next you make it to the league and you just have a hard time fitting. (Mario Henzonjia anyone?) I think a 6'8 SG with his shooting touch could be an incredible get for us. Just wonder how athletic he REALLY is though.

Miles Bridges (SF) Michigan State - Athleticism and defensive potential definitely make him look good. He can effect a game in a lot of ways and that's always a plus these days. 

Deandre Ayton (C) Arizona - His motor is what worries me and I'm not really high on Arizona in terms of how they develop big men but I'm open to see how it works out. His size and skill gives him a really high ceiling. Could be generational big man good with the right guidance.

Mo Bamba (C) Texas - If we can't sign Nerlens Noel, might as well draft our own basically. (Also dude has a 7'9 wingspan!!!)

Collin Sexton (PG) Alabama - The more I watch him play the more I feel like he'd be worth having as our PG. His personality and game is really fearless, he basically embodies the attitude of the city in a way that I don't think you usually see. He's the type of player that motivates his teammates to match his intensity and that's a trait that is heavily coveted in point guards. Seems like he's obsessed with getting better. Just imagine us having our own Damian Lillard except he's from Atlanta and has a Gary Payton esque way of getting in your head.

Hamidou Diallo (SG) Kentucky - I think he would KILL as a Hawk. 6'5 with a 6'11 wingspan and CRAZY athleticism, the more he works on his jumper the more I feel he could really become a star. Having a Diallo and Prince on the wings would be truly lethal out there.

Love Luka Doncic...sadly even if the Hawks tried to be bad they likely wouldn't be bad enough to get #1 or the ping pong balls wouldn't go their way, as he should be #1.

I also like Miles Bridges and Robert Williams...I haven't seen much of this class so I can't really speak on them yet.

Exactly, what variety of ways does Michael Porter score?  He's pretty much a guy who shoots over the top of the defense.  That's 90% of his offense based off the film I've seen on him.  He has no in between game.  He struggles to create space for himself.  He can't take his high school competition off the dribble at this point.  He's the definition of being overhyped at this point.  The Kevin Durant comparisons are baseless at this point.  There games are in no way similar.  Every 6'10" perimeter player gets comped to Kevin though.

If I squint hard enough, I can see some Joe Johnson in his game, but he's got a lot of improving to do to even get to Joe's level.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Exactly, what variety of ways does Michael Porter score?  He's pretty much a guy who shoots over the top of the defense.  That's 90% of his offense based off the film I've seen on him.  He has no in between game.  He struggles to create space for himself.  He can't take his high school competition off the dribble at this point.  He's the definition of being overhyped at this point.  The Kevin Durant comparisons are baseless at this point.  There games are in no way similar.  Every 6'10" perimeter player gets comped to Kevin though.

If I squint hard enough, I can see some Joe Johnson in his game, but he's got a lot of improving to do to even get to Joe's level.

We will see how he does at Missouri. That is what I will base my opinion on him on. He has the athleticism to make him my #1 prospect, but not until I see him against at least college competition.