• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

So far..... Disappointed.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Let me first say... I love, love, love the Collins pick.  That guy is a bonafide difference maker.

However, I have been searching for something positive from the Dwight trade.   I come across a lot of pundits who say that we took Charlotte's bad contract off of their hands and gave them a walking double double and a better 2nd round pick. 

I was hoping that there was going to be a followup on draft night.. but no. 

Moreover, we didn't gain anything by making the trade.   Bellinelli is OK but he's no difference maker.   So right now, we are the team in the trade that took the bad contract. 

If this was the start of a fire sale... then we're doing it wrong.   

• Like 2

The team didn't want Dwight within 50 feet of what will be a young locker room. I can't blame them. They work with him every day, they know better than any fan or anyone in the media bashing the trade. They thought he was bad enough of an influence that they were willing to make the team a good bit worse just to get him away. People will defend him saying he's changed, but they would know. I liked Dwight, but the guys that know more than me about his off the court stuff must have hated him, so I'm glad he's gone. Whatever it took, he couldn't be allowed near John Collins

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diesel said:

That's speculation... to make us feel better.    The truth is that this GM goofed.. his first time out.   Moreover, if you wanted to trade Dwight, get good value for him... don't take on a bad contract.   You can say that Dwight was a lockerroom cancer... if that's what you want to go with...  but that doesn't mean that you trade him for a hamstring. 

They clearly thought it was worth it. It's the people on here who think it was a goof. They obviously think they did what was necessary. I don't think it was bad at all. I mean the trade makes the Hawks worse, but that's what I've wanted for a long time.

3 hours ago, bleachkit said:

Steve Holman said Dwight was one of the nicest and most respectful guys on the team. Steve is always with the team, he knows the vibe in the locker room. I don't buy the "locker room cancer" BS. It was a bad trade, we got screwed. I guess they really, really wanted to have more money to spend next summer after Belinelli walks and Plumlee is bought out.

i don't think Duh-wight had to be a complete asshat in the locker room to negatively affect the team in some ways...and the main purpose of him being a force in the playoffs seems to have been illusory...

and yes it probably is about upcoming seasons more than now...but its about time someone had a plan around here

bring on the young guns!...(except baze :p )

Go Hawks!

I know its assumed Marco is an afterthought but if his gun was with us coming off the bench against the Wiz that series might have gone seven games and possibly had a different outcome. For one year anyway he'll help that desperate three pointer problem we have or at least until the deadline. Might not be such a meaningless part of the trade after all during the season. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, f_town said:

i don't think Duh-wight had to be a complete asshat in the locker room to negatively affect the team in some ways...and the main purpose of him being a force in the playoffs seems to have been illusory...

and yes it probably is about upcoming seasons more than now...but its about time someone had a plan around here

bring on the young guns!...(except baze :p )

Go Hawks!

So is this how we cover up??  Blame Dwight....  Not because he was an asshat... but because he did other things to negatively affect the team??

Have you taken a look at Dennis' track record?

• Premium Member
1 hour ago, skimaskway23 said:

It's only a bad trade to some of you because you over value dwight. Schlenk said that was the best of 4 offers. His trade value around the league isn't as strong as you guys assume.

Wait..  We give up a 13/13 guy for a contract that everybody knows is bad and a marginal player in Bellinelli... We give up the 31st pick for the 41st pick also ... and you say... It's good?

Dwight could have retired a Hawk.  Instead, we'll be gearing up to pay Plumlee 12.5 more million. 

Here's what somebody talking about Milwaukee said:

Milwaukee’s been smart with its money, signing stud Giannis Antetokounmpo to a discounted four-year, $100 million extension last September, rather than the five-year max deal he was eligible to receive if the Bucks had named him their designated player. They dealt away Miles Plumlee’s absurd contract this past season just months after inking it 

Even if you want to get rid of Dwight... You don't trade him for the BS that we got. 

• Like 3

If we can trade Plumlee before 2018/19 season starts, then it may be worth gaining the cap space we cleared this season and then next with Bellinelli. But if are still stuck with Plumlee when Dwights 23.5 million comes off the books, we made a mistake if our goal was to make cap room.

Even though our new GM wants to use semantics, this is a rebuild; and a big part of all rebuilds is dumping large contracts. If he can now trade Plumlee and/or Bazemore without us giving away valuable 1st round picks, I will start viewing Schlenk as a genius.

Edited by Buzzard

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

If we can trade Plumlee before 2018/19 season starts, then it may be worth gaining the cap space we cleared this season and then next with Bellinelli. But if are still stuck with Plumlee when Dwights 23.5 million comes off the books, we made a mistake if our goal was to make cap room.

@Buzzard So, lets say for example this scenario happens and yes it's VERY hypothetical:

What if Plumlee is still here in 2018/19 but we are able to acquire Derrick Favors today and his $12 million salary from the Jazz from the cap savings from trading Dwight? 

I think we can move Dunleavy and keep Belinelli to make the numbers work, or it'll be close.

(Jazz are looking to not stray in LT territory when they resign Heywood and Hill, then have to pay Hood and Favors next year)

18 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

@Buzzard So, lets say for example this scenario happens and yes it's VERY hypothetical:

What if Plumlee is still here in 2018/19 but we are able to acquire Derrick Favors today and his $12 million salary from the Jazz from the cap savings from trading Dwight? 

I think we can move Dunleavy and keep Belinelli to make the numbers work, or it'll be close.

(Jazz are looking to not stray in LT territory when they resign Heywood and Hill, then have to pay Hood and Favors next year)

We will have to give something up to get Favors. They are not just going to give him away for cap room. We have a few cap issues ourselves coming up with Basemore 18.2, Schröder 15.5, and Plumlee 12.5 in 2018/19 next season. That is roughly 40% of our cap tied in what could be considered only one starter.

I am not against getting Favors but I think you see my point which does not include the big if of Hardaways contract. I like Favors but I don't want him if he is going to cost us 1st round picks. Our saving grace to the two bad contracts we hold are the rookie contracts we can add to balance things out.

Edited by Buzzard
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Diesel said:

Wait..  We give up a 13/13 guy for a contract that everybody knows is bad and a marginal player in Bellinelli... We give up the 31st pick for the 41st pick also ... and you say... It's good?

Dwight could have retired a Hawk.  Instead, we'll be gearing up to pay Plumlee 12.5 more million. 

Here's what somebody talking about Milwaukee said:

Even if you want to get rid of Dwight... You don't trade him for the BS that we got. 

You didn't understand my original post. Dwight doesn't have a lot of trade value right now. Like I said, you weren't getting anything better than that package for him. 

Plumlee's deal isn't as bad as dwights tho. 12 million cheaper and it's easier to trade. If it wasn't, then it wouldn't have been traded twice in 6 months.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, skimaskway23 said:

It's only a bad trade to some of you because you over value dwight. Schlenk said that was the best of 4 offers. His trade value around the league isn't as strong as you guys assume.

The best of 4 offers.  Wow.  OK, if you've got a decent car I want you to give it to me, and pay me to take it, and accept 2 old junk cars that don't run from me.  Compared to the Ferry Joe Johnson deal, Slinky showed he has no idea of what he's doing.

15 hours ago, CP61 said:

They clearly thought it was worth it. It's the people on here who think it was a goof. They obviously think they did what was necessary. I don't think it was bad at all. I mean the trade makes the Hawks worse, but that's what I've wanted for a long time.

Many of us would like the Hawks to be better.

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

The best of 4 offers.  Wow.  OK, if you've got a decent car I want you to give it to me, and pay me to take it, and accept 2 old junk cars that don't run from me.  Compared to the Ferry Joe Johnson deal, Slinky showed he has no idea of what he's doing.

So would you rather keep dwight during the rebuild? The car in your anology is one that quits on you on the highway. Its not a reliable car so it's best you move on from it. 

• Like 2