• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Our fan base isn't strong enough for us to tank!!

Wurider05

3 minutes ago, DBac said:

The arena is already full of empty seats and fills up with other team's colors when the heavyweights come to town. No need for the quotations around mediocre, they won 43 games last year as one of the oldest teams in the NBA. Golden State built through the draft first. If you can convince me that a few superstars want to team up in Atlanta then lets go for it. Sadly, superstars don't want to come here, our only path to getting a superstar is to draft one or trade a massive haul (that we don't have at the moment) for one. 

How can I have such high standards? It's more like boredom. 10 years with 1 conference finals appearance and even then they got swept. And now yall want to reup when the rebuild is staring them right in the face? If they brought back Millsap, the team would virtually be the same garbage that they trotted out there last year. Last year was not fun in any shape or form.

So we are blowing up a team because your coach/gm gave money to baze instead of securing al horford. he had no plan B once al bounced. Plus he talked howard into playing for a team that didn't fit his skill set and then blame him when it went south. last year would have been much  different if we had milsap/horford and howard. but lets take it a little further. you hated last season so much that you blow up the team do  what?....lose more then you did last year.

I bet that going to be fun but hey at least well know why we suck...

• Like 1

Also I still think it is ridiculous people blaming fans for how bad ATL teams are. Our teams are historically bad through multiple Decades, they are run by people or corporations that only use these teams as Tax Write offs. Only the Falcons since Blank bought them is the exception. The Falcons have been a pretty competitive team with only a scattering of bad years since 2000 the Owner shows he gives a damn and will fire and make changes when we lose more than two years in a row AND Falcons games are always sold out.

The Braves were well supported until it was obvious that team was built for the Regular season and people got tired of  off season exits. Again a better owner could have put more money behind them to push them through and get a few more WS's.

It's not the Fans fault ATL teams suck and have sucked for Decades

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Twinblade said:

You rather keep a team that will always be looked at as a treadmill team and will never win a championship in the city of atlanta?

Your describing every Atlanta team right now except maybe the falcons... so we should get rid of all our teams?

• Like 1

Just now, LeoButler said:

So we are blowing up a team because your coach/gm gave money to baze instead of securing al horford. he had no plan B once al bounced. Plus he talked howard into playing for a team that didn't fit his skill set and then blame him when it went south. last year would have been much  different if we had milsap/horford and howard. but lets take it a little further. you hated last season so much that you blow up the team do  what?....lose more then you did last year.

I bet that going to be fun but hey at least well know why we suck...

There were reports that they wanted to pair Al with Dwight and then trade Millsap for other pieces. For whatever reason, they got cheap with Al and blew up their whole offseason plans. So I agree with you there.

Yes I hated last season, they were losing by 30.. 40 points to awful teams. They pulled a few wins out of their ass and those were fun, but overall the year was awful. At least with a losing team, the young guys will get to play and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. With a good team, we'd be thinking about our championship chances. With last year, we had neither. The team wasn't good enough to make it out the second round (unanimously picked against in the media vs Washington) and wasn't bad enough to get a good draft pick (though I have warmed up to John Collins).

15 minutes ago, DBac said:

There were reports that they wanted to pair Al with Dwight and then trade Millsap for other pieces. For whatever reason, they got cheap with Al and blew up their whole offseason plans. So I agree with you there.

Yes I hated last season, they were losing by 30.. 40 points to awful teams. They pulled a few wins out of their ass and those were fun, but overall the year was awful. At least with a losing team, the young guys will get to play and there's a light at the end of the tunnel. With a good team, we'd be thinking about our championship chances. With last year, we had neither. The team wasn't good enough to make it out the second round (unanimously picked against in the media vs Washington) and wasn't bad enough to get a good draft pick (though I have warmed up to John Collins).

I agree with but out of all the team in the playoff last season the hawks played the ONLY  team I was hoping we avoided.

We would have played better against cle, bos may have even beaten the tor or mil we just played against a team we did match up well against. beside im all for the blowing up a team but do it through free agency not the draft.  To win chips you have to spend money! don't say that product we was putting out there is bad then turn around and put an even worse product out there and try to convince me it the better for us in the long run. you can't say you don't like losing but your ok with the product there trying to feed us now. just don't add up.

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, swanlee said:

We shouldn't have to be strong enough. Any team that Tanks deserves a fanbase to walk out on them. A tanking team is basically saying FU to current fans and and season ticket holders. It is pretty much cheating.

The skill in building a winning team is you have to remain competitive and worth watching while trying to improve your roster. Teams that tank throw that out the window and expect fans to watch crap for years with the hope that "MAYBE" that gamble will pay off. If it doesn't pay off you just have a perpetually crappy team.

Cleveland and GS fans hate their teams today for intentionally losing games to pick in the lottery during their rebuilds.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Cleveland and GS fans hate their teams today for intentionally losing games to pick in the lottery during their rebuilds.  

If LeBron didn't go back to Cleveland they'd still be losing. their roster are full of other teams 1st round picks. So i'll give you GS. But that's 1 out of 32 teams

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, swanlee said:

Also I still think it is ridiculous people blaming fans for how bad ATL teams are. Our teams are historically bad through multiple Decades, they are run by people or corporations that only use these teams as Tax Write offs. Only the Falcons since Blank bought them is the exception. The Falcons have been a pretty competitive team with only a scattering of bad years since 2000 the Owner shows he gives a damn and will fire and make changes when we lose more than two years in a row AND Falcons games are always sold out.

The Braves were well supported until it was obvious that team was built for the Regular season and people got tired of  off season exits. Again a better owner could have put more money behind them to push them through and get a few more WS's.

It's not the Fans fault ATL teams suck and have sucked for Decades

My mother must have had a twin because this is exactly what I've been saying since arriving on this board over a decade ago. The Braves always sold out after starting their run and only after the strike and multiple failings in the playoffs (one postseason series win since 1999) did the stands started emptying. The reason why the Falcons sell out is because they have an owner who just doesn't tolerate the losing like the Smiths used to. The Hawks have had a mix of the Braves' losing in the playoffs along with the Smith regime of rebuilding with a bunch of untalented hacks and a front office that's always seem to be in over their heads. And the fans know it and react accordingly...

15 minutes ago, Dejay said:

My mother must have had a twin because this is exactly what I've been saying since arriving on this board over a decade ago. The Braves always sold out after starting their run and only after the strike and multiple failings in the playoffs (one postseason series win since 1999) did the stands started emptying. The reason why the Falcons sell out is because they have an owner who just doesn't tolerate the losing like the Smiths used to. The Hawks have had a mix of the Braves' losing in the playoffs along with the Smith regime of rebuilding with a bunch of untalented hacks and a front office that's always seem to be in over their heads. And the fans know it and react accordingly...

Yea blaming the fans for this crap has to stop, we aren't the ones selling the team to nameless corporations that don't give a flip if the team wins or not.

• Like 1

• Moderators
22 minutes ago, LeoButler said:

If LeBron didn't go back to Cleveland they'd still be losing. their roster are full of other teams 1st round picks. So i'll give you GS. But that's 1 out of 32 teams

LeBron wouldn't have gone back to Cleveland if they didn't have a bunch of young lottery picks (esp Irving and Thompson) and the draft assets to acquire a veteran he wanted (Love).  Their tank job opened the door to LeBron after he bailed when they didn't have these kinds of resources on the roster.

OKC fans didn't hate their team for grabbing Durant, Harden, Westbrook, Ibaka, etc. in the lottery.

SA fans didn't hate their team for getting Tim Duncan at #1.

Clipper fans didn't hate their team for drafting Blake Griffin or for trading lottery assets for Chris Paul.

Utah fans don't hate their team for going into the lottery and drafting Gordon Hayward.

Portland fans don't hate Damian Lillard or CJ McCollum.

Raptors fans don't have the team for taking DeMar Derozan in the lottery.

Wizards fans don't hate the team for drafting Wall and Beal at the top of the lottery.

Bucks fans aren't wishing they had some overpriced vet instead of Jabari Parker.

Pacers fans haven't hated the team for drafting Paul George and Myles Turner in the lottery.

etc.

etc.

• Like 1

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

So, are we trying to make Tristan Thompson into something he isn't now, which is a good player who was a good pick in the lottery?

I'll tell you what he was - a strong incentive for LeBron to come to Cleveland.  LeBron prioritized having him resigned and demanded the team max him out.  That was because he was one of the reasons LeBron came to Cleveland and abandoned his former big 3 teammates when they got over the hill and started having medical issues.  Wade and Bosh couldn't give him what he needed anymore so he jumped back to Cleveland who had two high lottery picks he like (Irving and Thompson), other young players, room to maneuver, and another #1 pick that he wanted them to flip for a vet (Love).  

If Cleveland had hovered around 42 wins after he left, he would never have returned.

1 hour ago, swanlee said:

A tanking team is basically saying FU to current fans and and season ticket holders. It is pretty much cheating.

....and a team that is miserable to watch shouldn't keep it together either.

3 minutes ago, AHF said:

I'll tell you what he was - a strong incentive for LeBron to come to Cleveland.  LeBron prioritized having him resigned and demanded the team max him out.  That was because he was one of the reasons LeBron came to Cleveland and abandoned his former big 3 teammates when they got over the hill and started having medical issues.  Wade and Bosh couldn't give him what he needed anymore so he jumped back to Cleveland who had two high lottery picks he like (Irving and Thompson), other young players, room to maneuver, and another #1 pick that he wanted them to flip for a vet (Love).  

If Cleveland had hovered around 42 wins after he left, he would never have returned.

LeBron was returning to Cleveland regardless.  Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson had very little effect on that.  Thompson is quite bad for a lottery pick.  Basically, you take LeBron away from that team, and Cleveland is still drafting in the lottery because neither Irving or Thompson move the needle towards making the team better.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 01/07/2017 at 4:30 PM, Wurider05 said:

That is probably why tanking has never been an option because those fans may never come back. 

They shouldn't. Tanking is for losers, after all. Who wants to be a loser for a long stretch, anyway? We've been here before. We're up for a decade of grief and sorrow because of these idiots.

• Like 1

• Moderators
2 hours ago, KB21 said:

LeBron was returning to Cleveland regardless.  Kyrie Irving and Tristan Thompson had very little effect on that.  Thompson is quite bad for a lottery pick.  Basically, you take LeBron away from that team, and Cleveland is still drafting in the lottery because neither Irving or Thompson move the needle towards making the team better.

No way in the world LeBron returns to Cleveland without him believing they had upgraded the supporting cast considerably since he left.  Why do you think he didn't sign a long-term max deal ever while he was there?  He came for the chance to win a ring in his home state but the moment he feels the talent is no longer contender worthy he will bail on this faster than you can say "banana boat."

• Premium Member
On 01/07/2017 at 5:55 PM, hazer said:

Hawks are a 27-to-32 win team this season, they'll get their lottery pick. This team will be playing exciting, young, uptempo ball which is great entertainment. But will eventually need to snag that star via trade/FAcy. You can play good basketball with character guys all you want, this town thrives on flash. Pair a flashy star with a sound, solid, character team and you'll have your sellouts. This is still 3 years away...

I don't earn money from any of those sellouts, so I couldn't care less.

I want to cheer for a good team, not for a team full of scrubs. Y'all American people are so hellbent in trying to be #1 that you choose to endure a decade of frustration and bad basketball so you can hope you draft that one of a kind player... You won't. Not like this, really. Was Steph #1?... KD?... Kobe?... Kawai? Jordan? Even the team who drafted one of the best PGs ever (at #4) couldn't make it.

"oh, but what about Duncan and LeBron?". That's exactly what I'm talking about. Someone has got to win it all. You have to get LUCKY to get there.

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE DELUSIONAL. Tanking is for losers.

Losers.

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I don't earn money from any of those sellouts, so I couldn't care less.

I want to cheer for a good team, not for a team full of scrubs. Y'all American people are so hellbent in trying to be #1 that you choose to endure a decade of frustration and bad basketball so you can hope you draft that one of a kind player... You won't. Not like this, really. Was Steph #1?... KD?... Kobe?... Kawai? Jordan? Even the team who drafted one of the best PGs ever (at #4) couldn't make it.

"oh, but what about Duncan and LeBron?". That's exactly what I'm talking about. Someone has got to win it all. You have to get LUCKY to get there.

SOME OF YOU GUYS ARE DELUSIONAL. Tanking is for losers.

Losers.

You realize you listed a bunch of studs who were mostly high lottery picks above, right?  Do you think that getting the #3 pick and taking Jordan is different than having the #1 pick and taking Hakeem?  You need to get lucky in the draft (like Duncan, Steph, Kobe, Jordan, Lebron, etc.) and land a superstar or acquire the draft assets you can use to flip for a superstar (like Kareem or KG/Allen) or sign a FA superstar (like Shaq).  

I think we all know the first superstar that comes to Atlanta won't be coming in by FA.  That leaves trade and draft.  For a trade you need a lot better assets than protected future picks and midround picks.  For the draft, you can land that superstar at a variety of draft slots but the odds get worse and worse the farther you move down.

That is reality.  Nothing is certain and luck is involved but unless you get lucky you won't get a ring.  Paying 100 cents on the dollar in free agency will never win you a ring.  (Note that paying the max for a guy like Shaq is paying way less than 100 cents on the dollar giving you returns well above his price point while your best case for a guy like Joe Johnson at >$20M or Paul Millsap at $30M or Al Horford at $25M, etc. is that they don't give you less production than you are paying for.  You'll never get the big surplus of production that rookie contracts and superstars allow you to reap when you hit gold.)

• Premium Member
On 02/07/2017 at 5:39 AM, CP61 said:

Hey I have a serious question to everyone. Why does anyone care about the fan base being bad? It's not like the Hawks are going to move. They can't for 30 years or Ressler has to pay the city $200 million. On top of that, he would have wasted hundreds of millions on the renovations and new facilities. So is it just that people don't like not being converged positively in the media? Or maybe people don't like going to games in empty crowds? Or that free agents won't come here because if fans? I don't know but the Hawks are as locked in to Atlanta as any team is to their city, so it doesn't really matter to me if the arena is empty. Just build a championship team no matter what it takes.

I feel for you... You're up for 30 years of frustration if you're expecting this sh!tty franchise to win something.

:kickcan:

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

I feel for you... You're up for 30 years of frustration if you're expecting this sh!tty franchise to win something.

:kickcan:

Ironic seeing the quote by your name on the screen.  30 years is a long time.  Neither GS nor Cleveland were thought to be even competent franchises 15 years ago.