• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks Cap Situation as of 7/3/17

thecampster

• Premium Member
16 minutes ago, Alex said:

I am fully expecting a big time overpay to keep Hardway around since this team needs to add salary to reach the 90% threshold to avoid a penalty.  

I agree the Hawks have to spend the 90%.   

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

I agree the Hawks have to spend the 90%.   

So with 30ish million needed to spend I see the Hawks adding Hardaway and Illy.  

THJ 4 years for a total of 64 million.  16 million annually.  Ersan gets a 2 year deal worth 28 million total.  14 a season. 

Probably add some camp fodder and maybe sign one of the second round picks and its a wrap.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Alex said:

I am fully expecting a big time overpay to keep Hardway around since this team needs to add salary to reach the 90% threshold to avoid a penalty.  

Schlenk has stuck to his word thus far this offseason and he says that we won't sign bad free agent contracts so what makes you think he's going to all of a sudden panic and give Thjr a bad deal? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dolfan23 said:

Schlenk has stuck to his word thus far this offseason and he says that we won't sign bad free agent contracts so what makes you think he's going to all of a sudden panic and give Thjr a bad deal? 

Yeah, he just trades for his bad contracts.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

Because he's in over his head and has no idea what he is doing.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

We might but from just being a pure shooter, Bojan is light years ahead of Baze. He has been shooting threes since he was teenager. He is not a one year wonder in that regard like Baze. Which is why he will get paid.

I understand being wary; but if possible, I would flip him for Bazemore and include a 2nd round pick in a heartbeat.

He is a terrible, terrible defender and therefore a bench player.  He is a revolving door and most metrics show him giving up far more than he produces.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, thecampster said:

He is a terrible, terrible defender and therefore a bench player.  He is a revolving door and most metrics show him giving up far more than he produces.

Im thinking Bud thinks he's another Korver but younger. 

5 hours ago, Buzzard said:

All the reports point to them matching any offers for Noel. Cuban has not lost a young good free agent since Nash. He learned his lesson from that one.

They have over 60 million guaranteed and 30 million in player options. They simply don't have the money under the cap to match "anything" for Noel. Doing so means Dirk takes a huge paycut and they freeze out their cap in the future.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Alex said:

There is  no penalty.  You have to pay your roster a certain amount regardless of the contracts so the only penalty is truing up that amount if you are too low.

34 minutes ago, AHF said:

There is  no penalty.  You have to pay your roster a certain amount regardless of the contracts so the only penalty is truing up that amount if you are too low.

Correct, but it seems like a waste to give additional money to players on the roster instead of bringing in new ones who could help your team out.

10 hours ago, thecampster said:

So I'm using Hoopshype here which shows Ryan Kelly still on our books at 1.6 million. I'll be subtracting that number. I am also going to ignore cap holds that shouldn't apply after the signing period actually begins. This includes the Tim Hardaway qualifying offer as he will either be a Hawk at a new number or will not be on the team.

So the Hawks Have 7 players (not including Hardaway) under contract. Also, Dunleavy's 1.6 million still counts.

Kent Bazemore $16,910,112        
Dennis Schröder $15,500,000        
Miles Plumlee $12,400,000        
Marco Belinelli $6,606,060        

Malcolm Delaney $2,500,000        
Taurean Prince $2,422,560        
John Collins $1,936,920        
Mike Dunleavy $1,600,000        

DeAndre Bembry $1,567,200        

Total - $58,107,145

This leaves them a theoretical $40,892,855 to spend.  Assuming the 2 2nd rounders and their stashed Euro make the roster, that's 3x560k each or 1.68 million more.

So we'll have 5 roster slots and $39.2 million to spend. I am going to say the Hawks offer either a solid contract to Nerlens Noel or Kelly Olynyk, Offer between 3-5 million per year for Bogdonvic.......sorry had to puke a bit before continuing typing and offer Hardaway $15 million/year to stay. I can also see them offering $6-$8 million to Illysova to stay.  And that would pretty much eat up the rest of their money.

Hardaway will be another baze watch. everyone screaming pay hardaway I was one of those people until they blow up the team. hardaway will be the highest paid player on our team if that happens. ummm no let him get paid else where we good losing with rookies. I still don't understand 18 mil going to belinelli and plumlee that crazy! but hey im not the gm I just play 2k and make better trades lol

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Alex said:

Correct, but it seems like a waste to give additional money to players on the roster instead of bringing in new ones who could help your team out.

Agree you bring in guys on attractive, movable deals.  Whether that puts you above the threshold or not shouldn't really be relevant.  Build your team for what you are looking to accomplish this year and try to find players on good deals.

On 7/3/2017 at 7:20 AM, Buzzard said:

You are dreaming with that one. Ten to Fifteen starting is my guess. If we get Bogdanvic for eight, he will be considered one of the steals of free agency.

Pretty much every number I've mentioned has been spot on.  Stated Hardaway gets 15-18 per. Stated $12 mil gets Olynyk, Bogdanovic won't get $10 million because he isn't a starter and won't be without a very bad situation.  He can't defend and teams know that.  He is a substantially poorer defending Kyle Korver and Korver got $7 million per season. If you can't distribute, can't drive and can't post....you'd better be able to defend and BB can't. All he can do is shoot.
Edited by thecampster

On 3.7.2017 at 7:06 PM, thecampster said:

They have over 60 million guaranteed and 30 million in player options. They simply don't have the money under the cap to match "anything" for Noel. Doing so means Dirk takes a huge paycut and they freeze out their cap in the future.

Dirk signed for 2 yaers at $5M per...

Edited by rd79

• Premium Member

I'm liking our offseason so far. Now we need to let Muscala walk somewhere else. Get Willie Reed or Mason Plumlee for center to go with that Stone kid and whatever Plumless can do.

If we get rid of Muscala, Baze and don't match THJ I will be very happy.

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 5:42 AM, thecampster said:

This leaves them a theoretical $40,892,855 to spend.  Assuming the 2 2nd rounders and their stashed Euro make the roster, that's 3x560k each or 1.68 million more.

Sorry this is nitpicky, but curious where you got the 560k salary? I believe the minimum salary in the new CBA was $815,615.

On another note, I don't want Bojan Bogdanovic at all. I still want Muscala back at a reasonable deal. Would take Willie Reed and wouldn't mind trying to take JaMychal Green from MEM. Think we could use CJ Miles' shooting and vet presence as well.

Edited by Bankingitbig