• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks unwilling to give Hardaway more than $10 - $11 million

GameTime

• Premium Member
3 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Is that what you want ? A team of role players who perpetually make the playoffs, but never have a chance to compete ? I just don't get it. People are glorifying Ferry and that one great season like we made the Finals. Like making the playoffs is good enough. That's mediocrity at its finest. 

Well, Ferry's team did made the ECF, which Hawks had last made in...

Yeah.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

Do really believe we will get a generational talent in the draft? The odds of that are like 1/50, maybe 1/100.

What I think is the odds of us becoming a championship team increases the more REAL assets we have and maintaining the ability to facilitate a "salary cap negative" trade. Whether we draft that generational talent, trade bundled assets for it, or whatever..

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Well, Ferry's team did made the ECF, which Hawks had last made in...

Yeah.

Gotcha. I want to see the Atlanta Hawks win a championship. We weren't going to do so maintaining the same path we were on.

• Like 3

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

Gotcha. I want to see the Atlanta Hawks win a championship. We weren't going to do so maintaining the same path we were on.

You don't know that. What we do know is that was the most successful Atlanta Hawks team ever. So no, you didn't got me.

Every Hawks fan want to see the team win a championship. We just disagree on how they should make it happen. And that's OK.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BrazilianHawk said:

You don't know that. What we do know is that was the most successful Atlanta Hawks team ever. So no, you didn't got me.

Every Hawks fan want to see the team win a championship. We just disagree on how they should make it happen. And that's OK.

Gotcha as in.. "I understand you". The most successful that team had ever been was a absolute horrid showing in the ECF. Now FA and Father Time has taken us even farther from the success of that team. So do you think we would've won a championship if we resigned Millsap and kept Dwight?

• Premium Member
14 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Gotcha as in.. "I understand you". The most successful that team had ever been was a absolute horrid showing in the ECF. Now FA and Father Time has taken us even farther from the success of that team. So do you think we would've won a championship if we resigned Millsap and kept Dwight?

Yes, they we're swept by the Cavs. But you seem to fail to acknowledge that Nets bum (Clark IIRC) injured Millsap's shoulder in the end of the regular season, Korver was criminally injured by DellaDLeaguer, DeMarre was playing on one leg. Still, they were swept and that's what goes in the books. But they made the ECF, and that's what goes to the books.

Of course I don't think we would be great with  Millsap and Dwight. I'm not that stupid and I couldn't care less about Dwight.  But at the end of the day, our 4-tima all-star was shown the door and our team is now a joke. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of opinion. I believe being good leads to being better and eventually great. Some prefer to dwell in the NBA cellar for years to have better shots at future stars... that's OK. I just don't agree with it.

Mind you, we're talking about a star and a great professional who was drafted in the 2nd round at made his way to the top. There are plenty of those, maybe not in the second round, but there's a whole lot of non-lotto picks who became stud, even superstars like Kawhi and Giannis (who would be a Hawk if not for LD). It works. You don't have to be bad to become great.

20 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

People are glorifying Ferry and that one great season like we made the Finals. Like making the playoffs is good enough. That's mediocrity at its finest. 

Uh, since making the ECF has been the best performance by the Hawks since they moved to Atlanta, back in the late sixties, there is a reason some of us appreciate that season more than almost all others (I still reserve the Nique-Bird shootout as my fav). Without those signings by Ferry of Sap and DMC we would have never come close to it.

• Like 2

• Moderators
20 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Is that what you want ? A team of role players who perpetually make the playoffs, but never have a chance to compete ? I just don't get it. People are glorifying Ferry and that one great season like we made the Finals. Like making the playoffs is good enough. That's mediocrity at its finest. 

That team was close enough to try to build via Houston's current path - constantly probing and chasing potential stars.  Problem was that Ferry was pushed out at the beginning of the 60 win season and instead of continuing to flip players, sign bargains and try to elevate the roster we went into WLOC mode under Budcox.

• Like 2

Wonder if the same attitude about spending (price point) on Tim would be the same by Schlenk if Baze wasn't raking in his bloated deal. To that point wonder if we are still trying to shop Baze. Would be a better path  forward with Tim than the other guy's contract .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Uh, since making the ECF has been the best performance by the Hawks since they moved to Atlanta, back in the late sixties, there is a reason some of us appreciate that season more than almost all others (I still reserve the Nique-Bird shootout as my fav). Without those signings by Ferry of Sap and DMC we would have never come close to it.

How about this... my wife and I got engaged the night of the 1st win against the Bucks on Dec 27th 2014. That was the 1st Hawks game that she ever watched with me and she became not only a Hawks fan for life but also a Kyle Korver and "Space Jam Schroder" fan for life. Her first experiences watching the Hawks over the next month were to never see them lose despite many close games and watching Kyle go absolutely insane from deep and then seeing 4 starters voted to the All-Star game. She wasn't even a basketball fan before we met and later that year she flew me to Atlanta for my birthday to watch us play and beat the Whiz and now she looks forward to the games as much as I do, if not more. 

That season meant A LOT to us and I wouldn't trade it for the world. It was easily the most memorable regular season of my life with the 15-1 start (I believe) that we had during one of the Mutombo years being a close 2nd and the year we traded Nique while I was in high school being next and by far the saddest season ever for me. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

That season meant A LOT to us and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Agree, refuse to remember it as some mythical treadmill BS. It was a great year that almost all other teams were very jealous of. 

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Is every thread going to be a repeat of the same arguments about rebuilding? I mean seriously people either let it go if you are still mad about rebuilding or at least make one thread and keep your complaints in that thread.

• Like 1

Just now, Sothron said:

Is every thread going to be a repeat of the same arguments about rebuilding? I mean seriously people either let it go if you are still mad about rebuilding or at least make one thread and keep your complaints in that thread.

I would go a step further and say that probably 99% of the board has wanted us to rebuild for years so there's really no justification for being mad that we're doing it. You can be mad how we're doing it but even then we've just gotten started and the Hawks have a plan and we just need to sit back and watch as they mold the team.

• Like 3

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Wonder if the same attitude about spending (price point) on Tim would be the same if Baze wasn't raking in his bloated deal. To that point wonder if we are still trying to shop Baze. Would be a better path  forward with Tim than the other guy's contract .

My attitude would be the same.

We should be shopping Baze.

Would rather pay Tim than Baze.  Would rather not pay either 19M.

• Like 1

Seems first order on that Tim situation is to try and get out of the Baze  thing so hoping what I didn't really think could happen will and Baze is traded someway, somehow. Tim and Marco behind him is not the end of the world and our overall shooting will improve, in particular our horrid three point production. Hope we give Marco that chance at least until the deadline.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Seems first order on that Tim situation is to try and get out of the Baze  thing so hoping what I didn't really think could happen will and Baze is traded someway, somehow. Tim and Marco behind him is not the end of the world and our overall shooting will improve, in particular our horrid three point production. Hope we give Marco that chance at least until the deadline.

The thing is, we have plenty of cap space right now, so we aren't in a rush to get off the Baze deal.  Might as well get him back to the Bud Ball type of style and rebuild his value some. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Thomas said:

But there would be a possibility of close to thirty million on the roster with just Tim and Baze here at the same time. What if we can't move Baze?

Who cares?  You sign Tim or don't based on his value and keep trying to move Baze.  He will get easier to move in future years but he is toxic right now so odds are not great that you can unload him without giving up assets so you wait for a team with need (maybe the Pelicans are chasing the playoffs and will give up an expiring contract at the trade deadline).  You don't lose a guy like THJr at a good price just because you screwed up overpaying someone.  That would be like passing on good young centers because we have Plumlee on the roster.

OK but Tim is not the only person we will look to sign so I do see it as a very possible big problem if Baze stays and we want to make an acquisition that does cost.

• Like 1