• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks unwilling to give Hardaway more than $10 - $11 million

GameTime

21 minutes ago, Thomas said:

OK but Tim is not the only person we will look to sign so I do see it as a very possible big problem if Baze stays and we want to make an acquisition that does cost.

Right now, the Hawks aren't going to be able to move Baze without taking salary that will likely be equal to what his is back. 

• Like 1

My guess is this is all lip service to try and drive down outside interest in THJ.

We don't want to pay that much. We are interested in 3-4 other SGs. Hopefully schlenk can bring Timmy back on a reasonable deal.  I personally wouldn't pay over 12m. It will be interesting. 

4 hours ago, BrazilianHawk said:

Yes, they we're swept by the Cavs. But you seem to fail to acknowledge that Nets bum (Clark IIRC) injured Millsap's shoulder in the end of the regular season, Korver was criminally injured by DellaDLeaguer, DeMarre was playing on one leg. Still, they were swept and that's what goes in the books. But they made the ECF, and that's what goes to the books.

Of course I don't think we would be great with  Millsap and Dwight. I'm not that stupid and I couldn't care less about Dwight.  But at the end of the day, our 4-tima all-star was shown the door and our team is now a joke. At the end of the day, it's just a matter of opinion. I believe being good leads to being better and eventually great. Some prefer to dwell in the NBA cellar for years to have better shots at future stars... that's OK. I just don't agree with it.

Mind you, we're talking about a star and a great professional who was drafted in the 2nd round at made his way to the top. There are plenty of those, maybe not in the second round, but there's a whole lot of non-lotto picks who became stud, even superstars like Kawhi and Giannis (who would be a Hawk if not for LD). It works. You don't have to be bad to become great.

To be fair...Millsap chose to opt out of his contract. We didn't value him at 30 mil a year I guess.

2 hours ago, Thomas said:

Uh, since making the ECF has been the best performance by the Hawks since they moved to Atlanta, back in the late sixties, there is a reason some of us appreciate that season more than almost all others (I still reserve the Nique-Bird shootout as my fav). Without those signings by Ferry of Sap and DMC we would have never come close to it.

You are absolutely right. Ferry and Bud made that great season happen and we wouldn't have accomplished that without them. However, I think it says a lot about our team that the brightest spot for the Hawks since in Atlanta is a phenomenal regular season followed up with a sweep. It's like the Falcons last season or in '98. In the big picture, no one really appreciates the runner up (or in our case the runner-runner up).

2 hours ago, AHF said:

That team was close enough to try to build via Houston's current path - constantly probing and chasing potential stars.  Problem was that Ferry was pushed out at the beginning of the 60 win season and instead of continuing to flip players, sign bargains and try to elevate the roster we went into WLOC mode under Budcox.

We still didn't have enough assets to do what Houston did. I see what you're saying though. We could've resigned those bargain players (DMC/Sap) and Horford and leveraged them, but we wouldn't have had enough here to keep any star we could've received.

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Is this a joke right? Who would you replace a 25year old player with 14pts a game with?

WAKE UP Hawks FANS!!!

He plays no defense, does not rebound, does not assist and isn't that good a shooter. Let someone else waste that kind of money on him.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Sothron said:

He plays no defense, does not rebound, does not assist and isn't that good a shooter. Let someone else waste that kind of money on him.

I think that is a bit of an extreme. But I do think he is better suited for a 6th man role and not as a starter on an championship caliber team. 

• Like 1

Just now, h4wkfan said:

I think that is a bit of an extreme. But I do think he is better suited for a 6th man role and not as a starter on an championship caliber team. 

Bottom line is he has value and letting him walk for nothing would be a bad move. Also overpaying would diminish his value too. Tough position to be, but just letting him walk is a bad decision in my opinion.

• 3 months later...

He's the proof that some people care more about the flash. If he was here, some people would still be OK with it because he provides flashy play when he actually plays well....but in reality structure was the only thing that helped him and that's gone here.

Well this is no surprise. We know why he got better and it was because of bud ball and his staff.

no shock what so ever that he’s went back to New York and is probably backtracking from everything he learned here in Atlanta. Yeah he needs a system, he needs a coach who will force him to follow that system...THJ is a system player who can be a good player  in the system and he would have been ok had he stayed under bud.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

He's being asked in NY to live up to his contract. He was never asked to do anything like he is being forced to do here in Atlanta. The pressure and role change alone is huge. When  you add in the fact he's just not that good of a player, as I said for every year he was here, well, no wonder he looks so terrible this season.

It does give me some satisfaction that some of the most vocal anti tank posters loved their THJR and now want us to forget how badly exposed he's being this season in NY. Thank God our GM didn't listen to them.

• Like 3

I can't say I'm surprised like most.  The Knicks have been a mess for awhile and now he's going to have to throw up a lot of shots to justify that contract.  I don't see that ending well.

If we got him on a much lower deal I think he would've been fine for us on a rebuilding team without the pressure of being "the guy" but it's no real loss for me either way.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I'm not so quick to call him done after 3 games with the Knicks. 

Same.  Small sample size.  He may we'll crash and burn but we know he goes for weeks of very cold and very hot play.  Give it more time.

• Like 2

No matter how he plays as a knickerbocker, I'm still pretty sure he would've developed his game further if still being on the Hawks roster. He has all the physical assets to be a good player. His problems belong to the psychological part of the game. He cant produce under pressure so far and has a hard time adjusting to new situations.

But I think he'll be fine.

• Like 1

The problem with him here was that it has been our goal to get to the playoffs but offensively he was a DNP with minutes on the floor in those intense games. Win or go home has been too much for him up to this point. Goes cold as a wedge postseason. Wish him well against everyone else in the East but don't save anything special for us. 

• Like 1