• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Schlenk Deconstruction

Final_quest

So, apart from the draft we've only seen Schlenk make rebuilding moves that deconstruct our roster.  Howard trade was more about subtraction.  Millsap trade was more about getting a pick.

What I'm really curious to see is players he will add constructively.  Who will he choose?  We've torn down the building, now what will we build it with?

That is where it's difficult to judge him.  I need to see the kind of players he signs before I can form an opinion about him.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, Final_quest said:

So, apart from the draft we've only seen Schlenk make rebuilding moves that deconstruct our roster.  Howard trade was more about subtraction.  Millsap trade was more about getting a pick.

What I'm really curious to see is players he will add constructively.  Who will he choose?  We've torn down the building, now what will we build it with?

That is where it's difficult to judge him.  I need to see the kind of players he signs before I can form an opinion about him.

The next 30 days will show what direction we are going for sure by starting to fill out the roster.

• 4 weeks later...

I wouldn't put too much stock in players we aquire via trades this year.  Schlenk will use our flexibility to facilitate other teams trades while getting pics in return.

This means that most players we acquire won't be very desirable.

That's my theory anyway.

Now, during the next free agent period there is the opportunity to pick up quality talent at a reasonable price.  That will be the real test.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
On 7/6/2017 at 10:24 PM, Final_quest said:

Millsap wasn't traded.   We allowed him to walk.

We did trade capspace for Crawford, Stone and a  late 1st.

• Moderators
26 minutes ago, Sothron said:

The only three players I think he's looking at long term are Dennis, Prince and Collins. The rest are just roster bodies.

Bembry should be on the list of guys he is looking at long-term as well.  I think he will at least be a useful role player.

• Like 4

Too early, these next signings will just be assets to be moved at a sooner-than-later date. Menace/Printz/Baptist, then lottery pick, then cap space, then pounce on meaningful trades/FAs in the next 1-3 years.

• Premium Member

I don't think anybody has a longterm view with Schlenk.   Just trade fodder.   We are holding on to longer contracts because it gives some stability and they are hard to move.  Saying that he's loyal to Prince is like saying he's loyal to Plumlee.   Saying that he's loyal to Dennis is like saying he's loyal to Baze. 

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, Diesel said:

I don't think anybody has a longterm view with Schlenk.   Just trade fodder.   We are holding on to longer contracts because it gives some stability and they are hard to move.  Saying that he's loyal to Prince is like saying he's loyal to Plumlee.   Saying that he's loyal to Dennis is like saying he's loyal to Baze. 

You are introducing a new concept with loyalty that I don't think really comes into play.  He isn't and shouldn't be "loyal" to anyone but the owner and the team.  No player should be unmovable due to sentiment unless that player will win you rings (i.e., there is value to be loyal to Tim Duncan even if you might win more by trading him for prime LeBron but there is no value in being stubbornly loyal to Joe Johnson if he could get you prime LeBron).

Instead,  he should be looking at which players represent long-term value to the team and looking to build around them if he doesn't get an offer that would justify moving them.  In that sense, Plumlee is a toxic asset and has no value to the team while Prince is under team control and at a restricted salary for years to come so of course Prince should be prioritized.  If you can land KD for Prince then "loyalty" shouldn't stop you from making the deal but there is a fundamental difference in the way you commit to and plan around Prince compared to Plumlee.  Same for value contract Dennis and overpaid Baze.

• Like 4

He's done the easy part.  The tough part is building this thing back up, and we will see how much luck he has in that aspect of construction.  Will the Hawks actually get the #1 pick in a draft where there is a legitimate Alpha type of player?  By that, I mean will they actually be in position to get a Kevin Durant and not have the #1 pick when Andrew Wiggins is "the top prospect".  If there isn't an alpha player in the draft, will he be able to identify who the beta and gamma players are?  Since we are taking the build through the draft approach, we have to be able to make sure we are getting contributing players and not overhyped athletes.  

8 hours ago, AHF said:

I think the direction we are going has been set pretty clearly for this season:  lose a lot, get a lottery pick and add real talent sometime in the future.

Sent out Howard, Millsap, Sefalosha, Hardaway, Humphries, 31st pick in the draft, $12,000,000 cash this year, 3 million next.

Brought in Plumlee, Bellinelli, 41st pick in the draft, Houston's 1st round pick next year (22-30 most probably).

It's a retool though, not a tank, right?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

He's done the easy part.  The tough part is building this thing back up, and we will see how much luck he has in that aspect of construction.  Will the Hawks actually get the #1 pick in a draft where there is a legitimate Alpha type of player?  By that, I mean will they actually be in position to get a Kevin Durant and not have the #1 pick when Andrew Wiggins is "the top prospect".  If there isn't an alpha player in the draft, will he be able to identify who the beta and gamma players are?  Since we are taking the build through the draft approach, we have to be able to make sure we are getting contributing players and not overhyped athletes.  

Sadly he is going to get credit for the Minny pick because it will be made under his watch and the Cleveland pick if he's still here. Neither of those belong to him.

36 minutes ago, thecampster said:

Sadly he is going to get credit for the Minny pick because it will be made under his watch and the Cleveland pick if he's still here. Neither of those belong to him.

Well, if he makes the right pick, then he should get credit regardless of the fact that he's not the one that acquired the pick.  It's entirely possible that having these potential picks is what attracted him to this job in the first place.  The question is, can he find a Jimmy Butler type and a Draymond Green type with those late first round picks?  Heck, I'd settle for a Jae Crowder type.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
6 hours ago, AHF said:

You are introducing a new concept with loyalty that I don't think really comes into play.  He isn't and shouldn't be "loyal" to anyone but the owner and the team.  No player should be unmovable due to sentiment unless that player will win you rings (i.e., there is value to be loyal to Tim Duncan even if you might win more by trading him for prime LeBron but there is no value in being stubbornly loyal to Joe Johnson if he could get you prime LeBron).

Instead,  he should be looking at which players represent long-term value to the team and looking to build around them if he doesn't get an offer that would justify moving them.  In that sense, Plumlee is a toxic asset and has no value to the team while Prince is under team control and at a restricted salary for years to come so of course Prince should be prioritized.  If you can land KD for Prince then "loyalty" shouldn't stop you from making the deal but there is a fundamental difference in the way you commit to and plan around Prince compared to Plumlee.  Same for value contract Dennis and overpaid Baze.

Well, here's the problem... Nobody knows what Schlenk wants his future team to look like.  Seriously... IF you remove Money from the conversation... if you remove cap from the conversation...  What has Schlenk said about the type of team/players that he wants?  I don't think Schlenk has ever given a definitive picture of what he's looking for in his team.   He has said things like Cap Flexible. He has said Athletic. but at the end of the day.. that's nothing.  He has a lot of Rick Sund in him.  A guy who is here to do the bidding of the owner but doesn't really have a plan. 

20 hours ago, AHF said:

I think the direction we are going has been set pretty clearly for this season:  lose a lot, get a lottery pick and add real talent sometime in the future.

Agree and it is clear as a bell from where I am at too. I will still be getting the team league pass; but it will be to watch Dennis and our youngsters. See how they develop through out the season.

It will be like our Summer League team led by our Vet PG, who is only 23, playing against the league.