• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Have a feeling the Hawks are going to be 3rd team in Melo to Houston

Admin

1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I wouldn't have minded being Toronto's salary dump for a 1st and 2nd. 

I think the Hawks will do the salary dump thing during the season or the draft when you know what pick you will get or at least the range. 

1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I wouldn't have minded being Toronto's salary dump for a 1st and 2nd. 

I dont undrstand why we cant do deals like this one. How perfect would it have been to get DMC (as old and worn out as he may be) to teach his heir Prince the culture and magic of the 60-win Hawks. I dont care if he's an expensive player coach its better than buying out Jamal with no additional value. It would make Bud at least marginally happy, and we get a first AND a second rounder in the process. But no we would rather pay 18-20 mil for Diamond stone and Jamal's contract over the next couple years. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, MCVicious said:

I dont undrstand why we cant do deals like this one. How perfect would it have been to get DMC (as old and worn out as he may be) to teach his heir Prince the culture and magic of the 60-win Hawks. I dont care if he's an expensive player coach its better than buying out Jamal with no additional value. It would make Bud at least marginally happy, and we get a first AND a second rounder in the process. But no we would rather pay 18-20 mil for Diamond stone and Jamal's contract over the next couple years. 

The deal we did is better than this in my opinion. Carroll has $30.2m over two years, whereas Crawford was basically just ~$14.3m this year and only $3m next year (actually less following the buyout). So Brooklyn is only getting an extra 2nd round pick to take on ~$12m+ more in the 2018-2019 season. I think I would prefer the cap space than the 2nd round pick there. That said, Carroll is still a somewhat productive player.

Overall, I would prefer the deal we did with Clippers, but also curious as to why we weren't involved in this one as well. We already have 3 first round picks in 2018, so maybe Schlenk is just prioritizing the cap space or maybe he has plans to use it this offseason. Or maybe its just simply that Toronto wanted another big man in Hamilton, which we couldn't really offer.

• Like 3

As much as I love DMC I don't want to see Bembry, Prince, or, Collins come off the bench. 

Min addition I think he would bring too much attention back to the 60 win Hawk team if we were to acquire him. Fans would be talking constantly about how we broke that team apart and they're probably trying to distance themselves from that team and let it quietly go away. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Dolfan23 said:

As much as I love DMC I don't want to see Bembry, Prince, or, Collins come off the bench. 

Min addition I think he would bring too much attention back to the 60 win Hawk team if we were to acquire him. Fans would be talking constantly about how we broke that team apart and they're probably trying to distance themselves from that team and let it quietly go away. 

Not many people outside of this forum are going to care about this team after the first month of the season. They will check out early.

2 minutes ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Not many people outside of this forum are going to care about this team after the first month of the season. They will check out early.

If I buy nosebleeds they gonna lemme slide down courtside?

• Premium Member

2017-07-09_1025.png

Rockets get their man, but take Noah off NYK's hands as well. Belinelli comes over to make salaries work since it's necessary for them to shed some salary.

Knicks turn the pages of the Melo and Noah chapters in their history, in exchange for some younger and smaller bad contracts (Baze, Plumlee), a 1-year commitment to Ariza, and essentially exchange Gordon for Lee. They also gain a tidy little new bit of cap space.

We essentially exchange Bazemore for Anderson, and Plumlee for Lee, and gain one year and Bird rights to Capela, rights to the Rockets' 2nd rounder draft-and-stash Hartenstein, and a wee big of new cap space.

• Like 4

19 minutes ago, sturt said:

2017-07-09_1025.png

Rockets get their man, but take Noah off NYK's hands as well. Belinelli comes over to make salaries work since it's necessary for them to shed some salary.

Knicks turn the pages of the Melo and Noah chapters in their history, in exchange for some younger and smaller bad contracts (Baze, Plumlee), a 1-year commitment to Ariza, and essentially exchange Gordon for Lee. They also gain a tidy little new bit of cap space.

We essentially exchange Bazemore for Anderson, and Plumlee for Lee, and gain one year and Bird rights to Capela, rights to the Rockets' 2nd rounder draft-and-stash Hartenstein, and a wee big of new cap space.

The Rox don't have any interest in trading Capela. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Watchman said:

We are becoming the league's garbage dump.

I know what you are saying but the key here is to get a little something out of each trade. A pick here, a pick there.  It adds up.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bankingitbig said:

The deal we did is better than this in my opinion. Carroll has $30.2m over two years, whereas Crawford was basically just ~$14.3m this year and only $3m next year (actually less following the buyout). So Brooklyn is only getting an extra 2nd round pick to take on ~$12m+ more in the 2018-2019 season. I think I would prefer the cap space than the 2nd round pick there. That said, Carroll is still a somewhat productive player.

Overall, I would prefer the deal we did with Clippers, but also curious as to why we weren't involved in this one as well. We already have 3 first round picks in 2018, so maybe Schlenk is just prioritizing the cap space or maybe he has plans to use it this offseason. Or maybe its just simply that Toronto wanted another big man in Hamilton, which we couldn't really offer.

Good point, but we could have done both and come out with 2 firsts

1 hour ago, sturt said:

2017-07-09_1025.png

That would be outstanding. A miracle, but outstanding.

1 hour ago, Hotlanta1981 said:

Wow are you optimistic. I think people have already checked out with this roster.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
54 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

The Rox don't have any interest in trading Capela. 

I agree that that might be a sticking point, but the philosophy appears to be win-now.

But I'd be open to an alternative on that asset, like a future 1st. Since we have their 2018, though, it would necessarily be their 2020 that they could send back in return. Of course, when you're dealing with draft picks, and when HOU has Llull and other possible overseas stashees, there's any number of ways to construct it.

27 minutes ago, sturt said:

I agree that that might be a sticking point, but the philosophy appears to be win-now.

But I'd be open to an alternative on that asset, like a future 1st. Since we have their 2018, though, it would necessarily be their 2020 that they could send back in return. Of course, when you're dealing with draft picks, and when HOU has Llull and other possible overseas stashees, there's any number of ways to construct it.

I wouldn't, there first is a late one. Those suck. Now if it was for a top 10 pick, I would strongly consider it or Clint Capela. But for a late 1st. Not close to worth it. 

• Premium Member
43 minutes ago, noble said:

Wow are you optimistic. I think people have already checked out with this roster.

I dunno bout dat. I think right now we're actually as stoked as we ever are this time of year, if not more, just because of all of the roster churning that has went on and is expected to go on still more.

Once we get the roster settled, I agree the casual fans will quickly lose interest. But most of us here aren't casual fans. I suspect we'll be fairly engaged, actually, depending on the degree to which we see our young players developing.

• Premium Member
7 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I wouldn't, there first is a late one. Those suck. Now if it was for a top 10 pick, I would strongly consider it or Clint Capela. But for a late 1st. Not close to worth it. 

You're confusing me.

You said before that the Rockets would not let go of Capela

Now you say we won't do it for a 1st.

So, who exactly again are we trying to satiate here in order to get 'er done?

But/and by the way, Llull is one of the most highly regarded PGs in Europe. Then, they have a few other stashees that would interest Schlenk, too.

But/and by the way also... you really think you can predict with some accuracy that HOU's 1st in 2020 will be a late one? Because I think they're setting themselves up for a colossal fail even in the short term (not enough balls on the court), let alone the longer (as these guys age).

23 minutes ago, sturt said:

You're confusing me.

You said before that the Rockets would not let go of Capela

Now you say we won't do it for a 1st.

So, who exactly again are we trying to satiate here in order to get 'er done?

But/and by the way, Llull is one of the most highly regarded PGs in Europe. Then, they have a few other stashees that would interest Schlenk, too.

But/and by the way also... you really think you can predict with some accuracy that HOU's 1st in 2020 will be a late one? Because I think they're setting themselves up for a colossal fail even in the short term (not enough balls on the court), let alone the longer (as these guys age).

I said, I would only be willing to take on Anderson for a top 10 pick or Capela but neither of those are on the table so it's not happening. The Rox have no interest in trading Capela and don't have access to a top 10 pick.