• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Tanking with Pride: Atlanta Hawks last in Power Poll

wolvetigers

Well at least we are serious about tanking, hopefully the Hawks fans will have something to cheer about on lottery draft order day in June 2018...

Winter Is Coming Hawks Fans and will probably last more than 3 years. 

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-power-rankings-warriors-are-no-1-duh-where-do-free-agency-players-land/

winter.jpg

Edited by wolvetigers
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

Ugh, I really hope we don't get a "root for losing" mentality around here.

I bet the Hawks end up with the 5th or so pick and people complain that they should have "tanked harder."

4 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

It might not happen all year.. but there's a

good chance of that happening next April , when there is only a few games left , and our record tied with another team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

It is already here, and it is absolutely sickening that someone who calls himself a fan of the team could openly root for the team to lose. 

• Like 2

• Moderators
43 minutes ago, noble said:

We will have the highest chance and most ping pong balls...and then they will rig it and we will pick 8th lol.

lol - If we have the most ping pong balls the lowest we can possibly pick is 4th - even if the system is totally rigged against us.

• Like 1

Hope them young boys come out to play ,this loosing with a smile ish says a lot about our fan base. listening  to too much sport talk radio can be bad for you. The reason I say that is because they seem to be very ok with every move that been made by the front office. then they be quick to say "that team wasn't winning a championship anyway so blow it up. like rebuilding guarantee a championship or a trip to the finals. This coming from a team that never done either one. also it reminds me of when they did the same thing with the brave ran all our players out of town talking rebuild. haven't sniffed the post season since... but no ones even bringing that up   

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, AHF said:

lol - If we have the most ping pong balls the lowest we can possibly pick is 4th - even if the system is totally rigged against us.

we should have had KD the year we got stuck with al horford. we had the 2nd most ping pong ball we were hoping for greg oden( lucked out on that one) but we should have had the 2nd pick pick that year

6 hours ago, SalvorMallow said:

I would never. I am not a proponent of tanking. I don't think you develop a winning culture by losing. But even the Pop and the Spurs got Tim Duncan #1. Every team starts somewhere.

1 hour ago, AHF said:

That was the joke. If the NBA can find a way for us NOT to get a Superstar they will...lol

• Moderators
Just now, noble said:

That was the joke. If the NBA can find a way for us NOT to get a Superstar they will...lol

Just putting it out there so we don't have some posters who get this in their head!  But I hear you.  We have a long track record of getting screwed in the draft like Julius Erving, David Thompson and Arvydas Sabonis.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bleachkit said:

I would never. I am not a proponent of tanking. I don't think you develop a winning culture by losing. But even the Pop and the Spurs got Tim Duncan #1. Every team starts somewhere.

giphy.gif

That was not a starting point, and they did not tank to get him.  San Antonio already  had a good team, and they were bad for one year because of injuries.   When they got Duncan, they added him to an already great team.

• Like 1

Yeah, the year before the Spurs won 59 games and the Midwest division. Next year Robinson only played six games with back surgery and then later a broken bone in his foot and Elliot played in only 27 games so they only won twenty. So not a good example of a tank there.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/1996.html

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, KB21 said:

giphy.gif

That was not a starting point, and they did not tank to get him.  San Antonio already  had a good team, and they were bad for one year because of injuries.   When they got Duncan, they added him to an already great team.

I support you on the non tanking factor, but the Spurs did tank (by not bringing David Robinson back when he was healthy) to get their number 1 draft pick. I'm of the mindset,  if you have one bad season and get a quality player in the draft, you then add some veterans to the team and improve the next season.  It's not an impossible thing to do. 

However, you seem to be opposed to any team picking in the upper part of the draft.  Why is it impossible to have one bad season and get one great draft pick?  It's not. You can have one bad season and add veterans to an already young and improving team.  After this season most teams will be in salary cap hell so you will be able to get some good veterans to add to the team.

• Like 2

• Moderators
5 minutes ago, Thomas said:

Yeah, the year before the Spurs won 59 games and the Midwest division. Next year Robinson only played six games with back surgery and then later a broken bone in his foot and Elliot played in only 27 games so they only won twenty. So not a good example of a tank there.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/1996.html

They embraced losing for a season - keeping Robinson and Elliot from trying to return, etc. but it was not a systemic tank job.  Just a season ruined by injury that a good but not great SA team elected to throw in the gutter in order to try to get some value out of a rare chance at a lottery pick.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, marco102 said:

I support you on the non tanking factor, but the Spurs did tank (by not bringing David Robinson back when he was healthy) to get their number 1 draft pick. I'm of the mindset,  if you have one bad season and get a quality player in the draft, you then add some veterans to the team and improve the next season.  It's not an impossible thing to do. 

However, you seem to be opposed to any team picking in the upper part of the draft.  Why is it impossible to have one bad season and get one great draft pick?  It's not. You can have one bad season and add veterans to an already young and improving team.  After this season most teams will be in salary cap hell so you will be able to get some good veterans to add to the team.

1.  Again, that was not a tank job.  Pops wasn't going to rush anyone back and end up ruining their future in the NBA.  That was still a great team that was bad for one year because of injuries.

2.  To add veterans to a young team, there has to be something that attracts the veteran.  You aren't going to attract the kind of veteran players that will be needed to a young team when there is really no hope that you will be in a competitive situation anytime soon.  You are really going to have trouble recruiting veteran talent to a team that is openly tanking.

3.  There are multiple problems with drafting at the top of the draft.

A.  You are basing your entire evaluation of the players at the top of the draft on their projection.  There simply is not enough of a track record with these 19 year old prospects to be able to make a sound, risk averse decision on who to take.  If you can tell me of a way that you can guarantee getting a Karl Anthony Towns and not an Andrew Wiggins with a high pick, then by all means, tell me (note that I did have Wiggins rated as a lower lottery talent in 2014 and not a top overall pick). 

B.  You have to take into account the learning curve for these prospects even if you land an elite guy.  They are 19 years old, and it's going to take them 3-4 years before they really learn how to play in the NBA.