• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Nerlens Noel

Vol4ever

• Premium Member

I guess no one is really interested in Noel.  Mark "who thinks he is great"  Cuban seems to be low balling, but if he has no other offers I would too.  Hawks put their eggs in the Dedmon basket.  

He is an injury prone, one way player who is not worth the max deal he is looking to get.  If he doesn't get a max deal, he will likely just sign his one year tender and become an urestricted free agent next summer.  Dallas will match any deal he gets unless someone actually gives him a max deal, and they may match it then.  I doubt you see Nerlens sign a 3 year deal with another team that isn't close to a max deal.

• Premium Member

I don't know what teams at this point could offer him a max deal. He might be better off taking the offer sheet, having a solid healthy season and hoping he can find a better deal next offseason. I'm more than a little surprised we didn't make him any kind of offer.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

I think you have to be content to go without any Dedmons or Ilyasovas on the roster, and then persuaded that this guy projects to Tyson Chandler-like production, and too, that he's a fit for the system we run.

In theory, any C who can either pass well or shoot well ought to be an asset to our team. Noel's a pretty good passer. But was Schlenk willing to put together a roster of nearly all 25-or-younger players and minimum contract players? Was he persuaded that Noel is going to grow into a consistently dominant force in the middle over the next 4 years?

Seemingly, at least one of those questions can be answered with a "no."

• Admin

Noel thinks he deserves more then he is worth which is the problem ... delusions of grandeur ... what has he done in this league?  Nothing ... his market based on what other free agents this offseason should be around 11 - 12 million.  He is more hype and rep coming from college.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I think he and his agent set expectations based on last year's free agent market and there have only been 1 or 2 deals around the whole league that were similar to that market.  Now he is on the outside looking in.  I think he takes a one year tender and becomes a free agent next year unless he is afraid of injury.

• Like 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, Randy said:

If we could get him cheap it would be fun to have him around in late December.

If he signs something cheap Dallas is guaranteed to match.

Players need to consider the fact that you can come to the Hawks with a 2 year deal and then pretty much be guaranteed to get ridiculously overpaid on your following contract if you've even mildly improved in Atlanta. The last few offseasons have seen DMC, Baze, and now THjr get more than 200 million in guaranteed money between the 3 of them after coming to Atlanta earning about 10% of that combined. 

Surely Noel won't be leaving Dallas this year but next year he should consider Atlanta a great place to start his retirement plan. 

*Don't quote me on those numbers as I haven't looked them up they're simply guesstimates based on memory. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
10 hours ago, benhillboy said:

I've rarely seen him play but he is touted as one of the premier switching Bigs, maybe why he's over-valuing himself.  Two bad contracts is quite enough for the current operation.

He is very mobile on defense so I don't think that is unlikely.  I haven't watched a ton of him since he was in Dallas but he has great defensive instincts, good length, and is very quick.  He is rudimentary on offense and only adequate on the boards.  He shouldn't struggle with P&R D like some of the bigs.

Just now, AHF said:

He is very mobile on defense so I don't think that is unlikely.  I haven't watched a ton of him since he was in Dallas but he has great defensive instincts, good length, and is very quick.  He is rudimentary on offense and only adequate on the boards.  He shouldn't struggle with P&R D like some of the bigs.

Not to mention he shouldn't need much money as he likely made a ton of it in college. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
Just now, Dolfan23 said:

Not to mention he shouldn't need much money as he likely made a ton of it in college. 

I think you are just salty since the Cuse is on probation into the next decade.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AHF said:

I think you are just salty since the Cuse is on probation into the next decade.

Maybe salty because they've besmirched the good name of Jim Boeheim! But after the past decade of being a Hurricanes fan and knowing what it's like to try to stay relevant through NCAA sanctions it definitely sucks knowing another of my teams has to go through it. 

1 hour ago, Dolfan23 said:

LOL yeah and Caliparri hasn't sold his soul to the devil either. Next you're gonna tell me that Memphis wasn't paying them boys either. 

You gotta a much better case with Memphis since he wasn't there for long. But you should literally think about the players and their families. Why would UK pay players then push them to go pro after 1 year? That's just some backwards thinking lol obviously you'd want to keep them around to make good on your investment. And they wouldn't be as quick to go to the league if Cal didn't want them to make NBA money for the sake of their families. You're better off targeting teams that get highly touted recruits at a less frequent rate. 

• Premium Member

Have to say... there is something appealing to the idea of establishing a young core five and seeing what they can do over the course of four years of playing together.

The record will show that I was one of those who thought Noel might be that fifth piece.

But who knows. If Dak Prescott could come out of nowhere to be a force, maybe Diamond Stone can come out of nowhere to be a force....

Schröder, Bembry, Prince, Collins and Stone... championship starting five of 2019-20.

Nice thought anyway.

• Like 1