• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Who fits best?

StephenHawking

• Premium Member

I like many people here liken John Collins to a young Amare Stoudemire. I think Doncic would be an excellent pairing with him because of his vision. One guy I don't like is Ayton. A LOT of people compare him to KAT, but I don't see it. He doesn't have KAT's driving game, IQ,mobility, or perimeter D. Not to mention he looks disinterested in the games I've seen. If we do draft a big, they have to be able to guard the perimeter to make up for Collins. Bagley looks ok, but I don't know how well he can guard big players down low or whether he can act as an anchor against guys like Antetokounmpo or LBJ. My choice would be Bamba who I think has more potential to be the next Embiid/KAT than Ayton. He has good size and length, has shown the potential to shoot the three and plays better defense than any other player in the top 5; he'll have to beef up a TON though. 

Edited by aali34
  • Like 1

I think Doncic is the best fit with the current personnel and with Coach Bud. He’s a 2 that can handle the ball and shoot. Not that I think roster fit matters at this point, but he wouldn’t take minutes from any of our players that are actually promising. We know that the Hawks were looking for a secondary ball handler last year, and Doncic is as good as you’re going to find in that department. If he continues to progress as a shooter to the point of being elite, he’s the perfect Budenholzer shooting guard.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, CP61 said:

I think Doncic is the best fit with the current personnel and with Coach Bud. He’s a 2 that can handle the ball and shoot. Not that I think roster fit matters at this point, but he wouldn’t take minutes from any of our players that are actually promising. We know that the Hawks were looking for a secondary ball handler last year, and Doncic is as good as you’re going to find in that department. If he continues to progress as a shooter to the point of being elite, he’s the perfect Budenholzer shooting guard.

Plus I think The Baptist is Schlenkenholzer's choice for C, in today's smaller ball environment. If that's the case, Doncic is probably the best fit.

11 minutes ago, hazer said:

Plus I think The Baptist is Schlenkenholzer's choice for C, in today's smaller ball environment. If that's the case, Doncic is probably the best fit.

See I did feel that way, and Collins definitely has a center’s game, but I can’t help but be enticed by the centers in this draft especially when Doncic is the only consensus top guard. 

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

See I did feel that way, and Collins definitely has a center’s game, but I can’t help but be enticed by the centers in this draft especially when Doncic is the only consensus top guard. 

Oh you're preaching to the choir, Ayton is my pick. I just think Bud thinks Collins can be the C in his system (PG, 2 wings, 2 forwards), and that allows him to snag Doncic at SG.

Edited by hazer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CP61 said:

1 minute ago, hazer said:

Oh you're preaching to the choir, Ayton is my pick. I just think Bud thinks Collins can be the C in his system (PG, 2 wings, 2 forwards), and that allows him to snag Doncic at SG.

Jent + Doncic would be very interesting...

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, marco102 said:

1. Doncic

2. Bamba

3. Ayton

4. Porter Jr.

5. Bagley

Like I've said several times and I'm completely in agreement with @aali34, if we can't get Doncic, Bamba is my second choice.  He just needs to continue to show offensive improvement! 

I agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if its Doncic or Porter Jr though with what I think Bud feels (even IF Collins develops that perimeter jumper).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lurker said:

I agree with this. I wouldn't be surprised if its Doncic or Porter Jr though with what I think Bud feels (even IF Collins develops that perimeter jumper).

Collins is barely shorter than Al was, and he’s a much better rebounder. We will probably be in the same situation where people clamor for a “true” center every year

• Like 2

My issues with Collins being the center long term:

1. He's not a natural rim protector.

2. Related: He doesn't have the length.

3. He's too small and doesn't have the frame to get a lot bigger.

4. The centers of the future are huge.

Although Horford had the similar imitations, his defensive instincts were great and he played in an era of unskilled bigs. 

Edited by DBac
  • Like 2

On 11/13/2017 at 4:25 PM, StephenHawking said:

Of the supposed top 5 players in next years' draft, who fits best with our current roster?

(Doncic, Ayton, Bagley, Porter Jr, Bamba)

Forget fit.  The Hawks must take who they believe is the best player available . . . period.  If the objective is to find a Hall of Fame or generational talent, the Hawks can't pass on the guy who may become that.  You don't pass on Doncic or Porter Jr as a potential SF, if you believe they are the best available, because Taurean Prince is playing decent.  And if you believe that Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba is that talent, you don't pass on them just because you have John Collins.'

Best player available . . at all times.

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Forget fit.  The Hawks must take who they believe is the best player available . . . period.  If the objective is to find a Hall of Fame or generational talent, the Hawks can't pass on the guy who may become that.  You don't pass on Doncic or Porter Jr as a potential SF, if you believe they are the best available, because Taurean Prince is playing decent.  And if you believe that Ayton, Bagley, or Bamba is that talent, you don't pass on them just because you have John Collins.'

Best player available . . at all times.

I agree, you don't pass on Doncic if the opportunity to take him is there.  He's not a generational talent, IMO, but he is by far the best talent that will be in this draft.

Michael Porter will not be a small forward in the NBA.  He lacks the lateral quickness and the ability to handle the ball on the drive to do it.  He's not going to be able to guard the perimeter very well.  He's a stretch four in the NBA.  He's a guy that teams will run a lot of pin downs to get open for a perimeter jumper.  

• Moderators
On 11/20/2017 at 8:25 PM, KB21 said:

Oh, I'll also add that drafting for "potential" is what got the Hawks Marvin Williams instead of Chris Paul back in 2005.  

Getting it wrong is what got us Marvin.  If we drafted for potential and got Kobe Bryant or Kevin Garnett, etc. it would not be an issue.  Similarly, if we took "production over potential" and got Adam Morrison or god forbid we take Shelden Williams then it isn't the philosophy that is inherently wrong so much as the pick.