• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks attendance

StephenHawking

I know this has been an issue since always but throughout those last couple of games I wonder if the Hawks even make sense from a financial standpoint because there are like 200 people attending a game. 

What are the issues other than the history of atlanta sports and the rebuild. Can someone from the area explain? 

Are their any ways to improve attendance or interest? 

As a German it's strong meat to see that. The average attendance in the soccer stadium of my city is about 50.000 people. Its always packed even though the amount of traffic is even higher than in atlanta, the highest in germany. 

^ weird, none of those numbers sound right. As long as I can recall the attendance capacity has always been 15k and change. Never heard anything about 18k+ and don't understand how we could have a record attendance at around 20k with either of those figures. And the current attendance figures and percentages just don't pass the eye test.

attendance issues have been documented and discussed on here for years, but it seems to come down to Atlanta being subject to major sprawl and poor transportation infrastructure, thus making it hard to get (back?) downtown before games starting; few other downtown draws to the area; too many other entertainment options in the city; and/or white people "allegedly" being afraid to go downtown or something like that. Might be missing a few reasons.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, StephenHawking said:

I know this has been an issue since always but throughout those last couple of games I wonder if the Hawks even make sense from a financial standpoint because there are like 200 people attending a game. 

What are the issues other than the history of atlanta sports and the rebuild. Can someone from the area explain? 

Are their any ways to improve attendance or interest? 

As a German it's strong meat to see that. The average attendance in the soccer stadium of my city is about 50.000 people. Its always packed even though the amount of traffic is even higher than in atlanta, the highest in germany. 

Wow, traffic in your city has to be ungodly if it’s worse than Atlanta.  Amazingly our expansion MLS soccer team does 55,000 every game, speaking to how heavily transplants and immigrants make up the population. 

2 hours ago, LamarHampton said:

^ weird, none of those numbers sound right. As long as I can recall the attendance capacity has always been 15k and change. Never heard anything about 18k+ and don't understand how we could have a record attendance at around 20k with either of those figures. And the current attendance figures and percentages just don't pass the eye test.

attendance issues have been documented and discussed on here for years, but it seems to come down to Atlanta being subject to major sprawl and poor transportation infrastructure, thus making it hard to get (back?) downtown before games starting; few other downtown draws to the area; too many other entertainment options in the city; and/or white people "allegedly" being afraid to go downtown or something like that. Might be missing a few reasons.

You touched on most of em.  As a native I’m allowed to call the support of the Hawks and Falcons awful for the most part.  Braves fan support has always been fair or better I guess.  

There are things that happen/ don’t happen at Falcons and Hawks games that are blasphemous in real sports towns.  Hundreds of  empty seats at the beginning of halves in playoff games?  The mayor of Green Bay would sound a red alert horn throughout the city.  85% of the crowd chanting MVP for an opposing player?  You’d be banned from TD Garden.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 1

Its fascinating that Atlanta has 48 more years of major sports history than Miami yet talent from the Atlanta Sports media has rarely been seen on ESPN (if you call Terrance Moore “talent”). Dan Lebatard seems to have a lifetime clause with the network covering his city and their collective teams’ stock are at an All-Time low.  Hell, they got multiple Alabama correspondents now.  Ala f&@kin Bama.  They aren’t purposely leaving the 33rd world ranked GDP  out.  Their data has told them year after year simply that not enough people give a damn.

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 2

vor 6 Stunden, lethalweapon3 sagte:

http://www.espn.com/nba/attendance/_/sort/homePct

Apologies if the following is a bit hijacky, but a side Q: How "off" has the underlying arena capacity been for the Hawks (and other teams) in setting the "Home Percentage" stat?

The current per-game average logged (above) by ESPN (13,964), and the associated "percentage" of seats-attended (74.6%), assumes a Philips Arena capacity of about 18,700. (They don't post the assumption, they make you work backwards by doing the division,)

Back in September, C-Viv noted that not only is the current capacity reduced by about 2,500 from last season (due to Phase 1 Reno), but that the arena-listed capacity of 18.238 in 2012-13 was reduced by 2014-15 to 18,047.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/basketball/renovations-will-reduce-philips-arena-seating-capacity/InzbQLNcUAZl5oi6M7JBGP/

The Hawks' printed 2017-18 media guide lists the arena's estimated max-capacity for this season as 15,711, verifying C-Viv's earlier reporting.

https://atlantahawkspr.files.wordpress.com/2017/10/1718_hwk_pr_mediaguide.pdf (ginormous PDF file, but the capacity is mentioned on page 293). Also on that page, a hint that we were once able to seat more than 18,700 is in the reference to the "sports attendance record of 20,425" back during the 2008 Celtics-Hawks playoff series.

If the ESPN-posted per-game average is accurate, then the "Home Percentage" should really be 88.8 percent, roughly the same as what ESPN posts for the Grizzlies (19th-ranked) and Jazz. And if the capacity assumption is from a bygone era, the drop in percentage-attendance may have been getting exaggerated for quite some time.

Now, we all know the actual proportion of booties-in-seats is closer to 8.88 than 88.8, but that's probably the case for lots of teams, and it seems like, as far as ESPN goes, this is more of a denominator problem than a numerator one.

~lw3

(P.S., just found the 2010-11 media guide... http://www.nba.com/hawks/media/1011_HWK_MediaGuide_update.pdf ... where the capacity for that season was 18,729. Rounding up, 13,964/18,729 creates the exact "Home Pct" of 74.6 that ESPN calculates for today's attendance chart. So the capacity and Home Percentage values, at least for the Hawks, have been faulty since at least 2012-13.)

Man it doesn't even bother me to see the percentages. What bothers me is to see the game start and there are factually like 20 people in the stands. 

Is there no way to improve for the city on this bullcr*p? What's different with ATL United that people actually attend their games? 

Are the ticket prices too steep? The wages of Atliens too low? I can't recall a city in Germany which surrounds a collective disinterested in sports. In every city we have just about the same type of people on average. 

Granted I'm not sure how attendance would look if our soccer team played more often on weekdays. 

In the end it just makes me sad. Players won't ever identify as fast and much with the city as elsewhere because there's a great lack of interest. I can't see a superstar caliber player saying "I want to bring a ship to ATL" because people won't care that much anyway. I think that's actually the thing why nobody wants to play for Atlanta. There is nobody youre playing for but the money.

Edited by StephenHawking

• Moderators
1 hour ago, StephenHawking said:

Man it doesn't even bother me to see the percentages. What bothers me is to see the game start and there are factually like 20 people in the stands. 

Is there no way to improve for the city on this bullcr*p? What's different with ATL United that people actually attend their games? 

Are the ticket prices too steep? The wages of Atliens too low? I can't recall a city in Germany which surrounds a collective disinterested in sports. In every city we have just about the same type of people on average. 

Granted I'm not sure how attendance would look if our soccer team played more often on weekdays. 

In the end it just makes me sad. Players won't ever identify as fast and much with the city as elsewhere because there's a great lack of interest. I can't see a superstar caliber player saying "I want to bring a ship to ATL" because people won't care that much anyway. I think that's actually the thing why nobody wants to play for Atlanta. There is nobody youre playing for but the money.

I hear you, and my apologies, because I didn't get to the crux of your specific concerns in the OP. With "Hawks attendance" as the topic, it jogged the ESPN data issue that had been gnawing at me for awhile. I figured I would throw that issue in for good measure. Having slept on it, I decided to see if I could bug Koonin into getting ESPN.com to fix the capacity/percentage errors. Relative to getting people to fill up Philips on the regular, that's an easy fix.

There are probably 1,000 different "attendance" threads over the history of Hawks fan boards, and everyone from us casual fans in internet forums to co-owners in board rooms have not found an elixir, although we do have some adamant, oft-divergent ideas on the symptoms. I'll add my diagnoses in a bit, and will at least *try* to be concise with it.

~lw3

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Wurider05 said:

I will tell you this. regardless of the crowd size this year the fans have been some of the most active and vocal I recall in a while.  They are really into the game.

When I went to the Mavs game around Christmas. People really was enjoying themselves 

• Like 2

• Moderators

One other pet-peeve that isn't so much about this year's attendance, but also contributes to the generational fan-deficit.

We have to be the oldest NBA franchise that absolutely can not settle on a look.

We've gone from red-and-blue to blue-and-lime to red-and-gold to black-and-red to mustard-and-ketchup to red-silver-and-blue and now to red-grayish-black-and-neon.

We've gone from comic-book-birds to silhouettes to Clutch to Swoop and back to Clutch and back to the Pac-Man silhouette again. Even the script/lettering has changed about 4 times in the past two decades alone.

Only our brothers-in-championship-futility Royals/Kings had as much of an unstable history as us. But at least when their club finally decided raisin-purple-and-black was The Move, they stuck with it and still roll with it.

A Suns fan can go all-in on a purple-and-orange team T-shirt and a hat without feeling like a total anachronism five years from now. The Mavs' logo+lettering have been awful from the day they trotted them out, but they stayed with them and work their jerseys around the scheme.

Identity is a crucial part of fandom, but the Hawks haven't presented the local fanbase (the ones paying to go to the arena and cheer for them) with a reliable sense of how they choose to stand out among their basketball brethren.

Many of us are fans of the teams we cheer because our parents/grandparents helped model the notion for us. It's natural for many fans of NBA teams to pass down their traditional allegiances to their progeny. A Robert Parish fan can take his Kyrie Irving fan grandkid to the new Garden and feel a connection through similar jerseys. A Gail Goodrich fan can show her Lonzo-loving grandchildren old highlights, each player rocking the bluish-purple and yellow-gold.

But the elder Hawk fans don't want to display their support in public, at the arena, with caps and fan gear that smells like mothballs and leaves them looking like they managed to outlive their prison sentences, or missed out on Throwback Night again.

There is no visual continuum from Lou Hudson to Pistol Pete to Roundfield to Nique to Deke to Smoove to Joe to Pawl to Dennis. Just watch a game from the great 60-win season three years ago. You'd think it was from some bygone era.

Kooninball insists that we're going to stay True to this current color+style pattern for decades to come, allowing our millennial ATLiens to grow with it, commensurate with their disposable ticket-buying income. We'll see. But "She's Got a New Hat!" is old hat for this franchise, and it's not great for keeping fans around.

~lw3

• Like 4

• Premium Member

Atlanta is the transplant capital of the USA. This isn't changing. People bring their sports loyalties with them. If Atlanta teams started winning titles then you'd see more of those transplants and their generations of kids who continue to root for the teams that "my parents always loved them" start to become real Atlanta fans.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Atlanta is the transplant capital of the USA. This isn't changing. People bring their sports loyalties with them. If Atlanta teams started winning titles then you'd see more of those transplants and their generations of kids who continue to root for the teams that "my parents always loved them" start to become real Atlanta fans.

good for business.jpg

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Sothron said:

How many times do we have to say this? So long as we keep having White to Pearson, Jim Leyritz, Lonnie Smith, Eugene's fantastic voyage the night before the Super Bowl, Game 6/7 of the '88 Eastern Semis, Ed Sprague, and 28-3 as the crux of our pro teams' narratives, you're not going to convince folks who moved from other places (with more disposable income, might I add) to start rooting on the local product(s), especially those who came from towns with championship banners draped all over the ceilings of their arenas and stadiums.

A person coming from Detroit or Chicago would still laugh his ass off at the thought of paying to see the Hawks get it on unless their hometown team or (insert superstar player here) was in town because despite whatever issues their squads have, they still see them as lightyears superior because they have world titles. The same goes for a guy from a place like Milwaukee because he can easily gravy train the Packers and quickly end the conversation right then and there.

I've said it once and will again. We've lost entire generations of potential season ticket holders and fans because at some point, every last pro sports team failed to capitalize on the big moment when it was there for the taking. Need we go on with the Braves in the '90s or the Falcons this past season?

• Like 2

• Premium Member

The Falcons 28-3 is something I will never get over. I cut  back significantly on how much I watched them this season. I'm a life long fan, brought up here in Georgia and lived here all my life. Fan for over forty years. If I can barely watch them after what they did, what does that say to Mr. Transplant from Da North Where Mah Teams Actually Won Titles At Some Point?

• Like 3