• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Development of the Players on the Current Roster

AHF

I really think it’s just a case of letting off the gas a little for Menace and Fresh Printz. Whether it’s intentional or just a loss of focus due to this rebuild season’s frustration is anybody’s guess.

Agree with pretty much all of the above.  

I think Dennis’ season overall was very good as he improved his most critiqued attribute of generalship: assist/ turnover up considerably with a shell of the roster he’s used to.  I can forgive his torpedoing three point shooting because he reminds me of Billups at the line.  

Next year I’ll be anxious to see Collins put on some weight and Dorsey boost his shooting and handle.

Baze seems to balance out awful play with spirited play.  He’s quite underrated as a team passer.  His uptick in play directly conincoded with stopping those insane, poor angle drives into traffic thinking he had a nice Euro step, finishing ability, and foul drawing prowess.  The coaching staff finally told him he didn’t.

I’m encouraged by Prince’s recent play but I’m still a guy who doesn’t like to argue with numbers too tough.  He still doesn’t have a Win Share yet (Cavanaugh does)  I just see so many of his young peers at the 3 making more advanced plays based on reading the action and his athleticism is disappointing (only 14 dunks at 6’8”, 220)

Deadman Walking deserves to get paid so he gone.

Two guys who are gone developed a great deal and took what they absorbed to Philly.  Light +19 and +26 tonight for Illy and Belli, respectively.  I’m confident they were instrumental in the learning of Collins, Dorsey, and Cavanaugh who I think can become an Illy light if his positioning, rebounding, and three continue to improve.   I was straight on Moose two years ago.  F@&k he still here fo.  Had he gone to Washington instead of Molly Mike he’d be in the G League.

Edited by benhillboy

The development of these young players is really going to be hurt over the next few years due to:

1.  The lack of quality veterans on the roster to show them the consistent effort it takes to win in the NBA.

2.  Being thrown into roles that they aren't equipped for or aren't ready to perform in.....see Taurean Prince.

3.  The losing environment that will encapsulate this franchise over the next 5 seasons.

• Premium Member

Thanks AHF for starting this thread

I am encouraged by what I have seen from the players mentioned in your write up. Certainly they have things to clean up in their respective games but during the 1st 3 quarters of the Raptors game especially the starters, the team is play with some cohesion on offense and defense.  A very encouraging sign for next year

Dennis will continue to improve and will be a borderline all star some day. I am convinced that some of Dennis' bad play this season comes from the top.

If Prince ever gets the mental aspect of the game down, he will no doubt be an all star.  He has length, athleticism and is an excellent spot up shooter.  Some of his helter skelter play this season had to come from the staff. Y'all can't convince me that a second year player can take 10 3 pointers, miss them all and still play 30 minutes while sucking on defense.

Collins will be an all Star!  His usage rate is trending down because no one taught how to be inefficient on purpose.

Baze is a good player just a late bloomer.  probably not an all star wing but a very good veteran starter.

Dedmon has skill and just needs more playing time and experience.

When Dorsey gains more confidence in his shot...Watch out!

Of our guys, I think Prince will be a solid glue guy. Handle will hold him back, but as a cog in the machine he could be good.

Dennis could be a good #3, maybe #2.

Collins has similar upside to Prince IMO,  him and Prince are #4/#5 types.

Dorsey might could be an okay bench gunner. I feel similarly about Taylor and Bembry.

Bazemore's another solid #4/#5 type, along with Dedmon.

We really need to land a #1 or at least another #2 type from this draft. And fill out a bench while we're at it.

This is all my opinion of course.

Good thread.  To me Collins is the only building block on the roster (assuming he can make a jump in play next season).  The rest are flawed assets.  Dennis is talented enough to start but lacks the consistency one would expect from someone with his level of experience.  Baze and Prince would be better with reduced roles of the bench.  Dedmon I expect to walk at seasons end and the rest will be lucky to carve out careers as bench pieces.

Depressing.  

Anyone think Ayton and Collins together long term is potentially a bad combo?  

17 minutes ago, Packfill said:

Good thread.  To me Collins is the only building block on the roster (assuming he can make a jump in play next season).  The rest are flawed assets.  Dennis is talented enough to start but lacks the consistency one would expect from someone with his level of experience.  Baze and Prince would be better with reduced roles of the bench.  Dedmon I expect to walk at seasons end and the rest will be lucky to carve out careers as bench pieces.

Depressing.  

Anyone think Ayton and Collins together long term is potentially a bad combo?  

It would be terrible defensively.  Offensively, it could work if you buy into Ayton's shot, which I'm not sure I do at this point.   That combo would be a damn tire fire defensively though.

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

It would be terrible defensively.  Offensively, it could work if you buy into Ayton's shot, which I'm not sure I do at this point.   That combo would be a damn tire fire defensively though.

I buy it he is a 75% ft shooter. If he wasn't a good ft shooter it is cause for concern that maybe the shot isn't real, but it goes in consistently at the line so I think he will just keep getting that shot better.

9 hours ago, KB21 said:

Kids playing a lot of pf for Arizona next to a big man that makes him play off what would be his strengths. He will be fine. Plus I think bud could do wonders with him.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, KB21 said:

I agree with KB. Ayton has NO defensive instincts. Watch him play and it is tentative and fumbling.  I get that folks are intrigued with the size, the shot, and just his appearance, but I just don't see anything on the court that screams next great center. I actually keep seeing another Thabeet in the guy. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, frosgrim said:

I agree with KB. Ayton has NO defensive instincts. Watch him play and it is tentative and fumbling.  I get that folks are intrigued with the size, the shot, and just his appearance, but I just don't see anything on the court that screams next great center. I actually keep seeing another Thabeet in the guy. 

I agree.  Ayton seems similar to Towns in regards to defense.  Shame because Ayton seems like a compelling piece for a rebuilding team like the Hawks - and definitely a better fit then someone like Bagley or Porter.  

21 minutes ago, Packfill said:

I agree.  Ayton seems similar to Towns in regards to defense.  Shame because Ayton seems like a compelling piece for a rebuilding team like the Hawks - and definitely a better fit then someone like Bagley or Porter.  

Towns was actually much better on defense than Ayton in college.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frosgrim said:

Except thabeet had no offensive game so to speak of. If you see thabeet I’m not exactly sure what your looking at.

2 minutes ago, Royjr9 said:

Except thabeet had no offensive game so to speak of. If you see thabeet I’m not exactly sure what your looking at.

Ayton and Thabeet look a lot a like on defense. Thabeet had something of an offensive game at UConn. He average over 13 points a game his last season in Storrs. Yes, in the pros he was horrid, but at UConn he was part of a final 4 team. 

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, frosgrim said:

Ayton and Thabeet look a lot a like on defense. Thabeet had something of an offensive game at UConn. He average over 13 points a game his last season in Storrs. Yes, in the pros he was horrid, but at UConn he was part of a final 4 team. 

There is no comparison on offense.  Thabeet was a distant 4th option at UConn (less than 8 FGA/GM) in his Junior year.  He shot 62.7% from the free throw line as a Junior (51.3% as a freshman) and took very few jumpers (obviously zero 3's in his 3 years of college).  He basically averaged just under 4 offensive rebounds per game and scored off of those and setups from other people.  

Bear in mind also that Thabeet had 41 assists.  Not in his junior year but in his entire college career.  0.6 assists per 40 minutes (against 2.4 turnovers).  

Ayton is the #1 option on his team, shoots jumpers in addition to bullying people inside, hits 3's, and has more assists this season than Thabeet had in 3 years and has a near 1:1 A/TO ratio compared to Thabeet's 1:4 ratio.

They are just completely different players on the offensive side of the board.  Thabeet's entire NBA value was supposed to come from his ability to dominate on defense.

• Like 4