• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Kent Playnomore?

lethalweapon3

1 hour ago, DS5 said:

I think I figured it out. KB21 and Diesel are just trying to keep the hawksquawk relevant by being contrarians. I refuse to believe that they can be so irrational. 

You guys either weren't around during the 8 years of no playoffs the Hawks had after they tore apart a good team in 1999, or you are simply going to have to go through that again to realize that it doesn't work.  Something tells me that when this doesn't work, you still won't realize that tanking is an ineffective way of building a team.

6 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Tanking is better than being a mediocre team with no chance of winning a title.  Right now, we have no idea what this team will be in 3-5 seasons.  The Horford era was mediocre with no chance at title.

Yeah.  If we completely ignore the history of teams that take this route, then we have no idea what this team will be in 3-5 seasons.  However, if we pay attention to history, we will know that the next 3-5 seasons will have a lot of losing.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  If we completely ignore the history of teams that take this route, then we have no idea what this team will be in 3-5 seasons.  However, if we pay attention to history, we will know that the next 3-5 seasons will have a lot of losing.

Or we could focus on the history of the two teams our head coach and GM spawned from and realize that you have to lose in order to get better.  San Antonio got the first pick in 1997, drafted Duncan, and won a championship two years later and five championships total with Duncan.  Golden State has been a terrible franchise for decades, but then drafted Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Steph Curry and now they've been to three straight NBA championships, winning two.

I trust the pedigree of Bud and Schlenk to make this into a short tank, 3 years.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Or we could focus on the history of the two teams our head coach and GM spawned from and realize that you have to lose in order to get better.  San Antonio got the first pick in 1997, drafted Duncan, and won a championship two years later and five championships total with Duncan.  Golden State has been a terrible franchise for decades, but then drafted Klay Thompson, Draymond Green, and Steph Curry and now they've been to three straight NBA championships, winning two.

I trust the pedigree of Bud and Schlenk to make this into a short tank, 3 years.

I didn't realize that we were adding a top pick to a healthy David Robinson and Sean Elliott.

Note that even in Golden State, where they didn't completely bottom out the roster and build an expansion team, it took 5 years from the time they drafted Steph Curry to make the playoffs.

• Moderators
25 minutes ago, KB21 said:

I didn't realize that we were adding a top pick to a healthy David Robinson and Sean Elliott.

Note that even in Golden State, where they didn't completely bottom out the roster and build an expansion team, it took 5 years from the time they drafted Steph Curry to make the playoffs.

Robinson and Elliot were only there for the first championship and they weren't getting close to a championship without Duncan... the other four was on the shoulders of Duncan and the organization adding Parker, Ginoboli, Leonard, and hiring Pop.  Point being you have to be bad in order to get good and staying competitive only keeps you mediocre which WLOC showed us.  We aren't the Celtics or Lakers where free agents are lining up to sign with us.  We have to build a team the hard way which includes tanking.  We need a superstar to build around and you aren't drafting those 10-30 or in the second round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

Robinson and Elliot were only there for the first championship and they weren't getting close to a championship without Duncan... the other four was on the shoulders of Duncan and the organization adding Parker, Ginoboli, Leonard, and hiring Pop.  Point being you have to be bad in order to get good and staying competitive only keeps you mediocre which WLOC showed us.  We aren't the Celtics or Lakers where free agents are lining up to sign with us.  We have to build a team the hard way which includes tanking.  We need a superstar to build around and you aren't drafting those 10-30 or in the second round.

Myth.

• Premium Member
7 hours ago, GThawks3 said:

To be honest there are multiple guys in this draft I would take over Doncic.

I understand but look at the type players Bud likes........... BIG 3pt shooters.   I would take one of the big players in the paint myself, but Bud wants to make 3pt shooters out of everyone.  Heck he would try to convert Ayton.   

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

You have a point there with big free agents and the Hawks.  We havent  had a star player since Nique.  

Having the false hope of every legitimately good team having their plane crash in the NBA and everyone die or get seriously hurt is NEVER better than no hope. 

This is not the NFL or MLB. If you are not a top 4 seed or a team that had a superstar that was hurt which hurt most of their season, tanking teams have just as much of a chance of 5-8 seeds in the playoffs at winning a chip....0%. 

Maybe if this were the NFL or MLB where getting hot at the right time matters, you'd work harder to not suck, but it's not, and considering how long the NBA has gone on, there is no changing the narrative that is going to occur.

I don't care if you're a doctor, if you say you need to "see the MRI", you are being absolutely INSANE and completely irrational. I don't care if it's about tanking or not. Maybe you'd rather see the guy get injured even worse. Break a leg, a knee, maybe. It's ridiculous and really with sports, it's not that serious to say that you need a freaking MRI.

I am sick and tired of this.

41 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Having the false hope of every legitimately good team having their plane crash in the NBA and everyone die or get seriously hurt is NEVER better than no hope. 

This is not the NFL or MLB. If you are not a top 4 seed or a team that had a superstar that was hurt which hurt most of their season, tanking teams have just as much of a chance of 5-8 seeds in the playoffs at winning a chip....0%. 

Maybe if this were the NFL or MLB where getting hot at the right time matters, you'd work harder to not suck, but it's not, and considering how long the NBA has gone on, there is no changing the narrative that is going to occur.

I don't care if you're a doctor, if you say you need to "see the MRI", you are being absolutely INSANE and completely irrational. I don't care if it's about tanking or not. Maybe you'd rather see the guy get injured even worse. Break a leg, a knee, maybe. It's ridiculous and really with sports, it's not that serious to say that you need a freaking MRI.

I am sick and tired of this.

If there is a legitimate bone bruise, the T1 images will be hypointense while the T2 images will be hyperintense on the MRI.  So, if this isn't a BS injury that is more related to Schlenk's desire to be the worst team in the league, then just show me the MRI.  Travis Schlenk has not earned the benefit of the doubt with this.

Also, at no point is losing better than winning and being in the playoffs.  Not at any level or in any sport.

5 hours ago, PSSSHHHRRR87 said:

And who would you say in the 2018 draft is a superstar?  "Superstars" are a very rare commodity, and I don't see any of these guys having what it takes to be considered a superstar. (Marvin Williams anyone?  Al Horford anyone?  Al is a quality player, but he is not even close to being a superstar. Marvin is the poster child for grossly overrated draft picks.) Oh well, on to 2019, 2020, 2021...  I'm 60 years old, and I'd rather have a team that goes deep into the playoffs over one that struggles to win 20 games.  Been there, done that.  Those years drag on and on and on.  I at least want a team I can be proud of, not some perpetual, intentional losers.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Watchman said:

And who would you say in the 2018 draft is a superstar?  "Superstars" are a very rare commodity, and I don't see any of these guys having what it takes to be considered a superstar. (Marvin Williams anyone?  Al Horford anyone?  Al is a quality player, but he is not even close to being a superstar. Marvin is the poster child for grossly overrated draft picks.) Oh well, on to 2019, 2020, 2021...  I'm 60 years old, and I'd rather have a team that goes deep into the playoffs over one that struggles to win 20 games.  Been there, done that.  Those years drag on and on and on.  I at least want a team I can be proud of, not some perpetual, intentional losers.

except the hawks never go deep in the playoffs...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Watchman said:

So explain what you would do with Dwight and Sap taking up over half your cap this coming off-season so you have no cap space to improve your "proud" 8-seed atl hawks! I honestly don't think had we brought our core back minus THJ we make the playoffs so it would be all for not but just humor me what moves are you making? You have the 15th pick of the draft for past examples the 15th pick was traded for George hill BUT you need to include players because you are over the cap obviously so let's hear it!

Edited by davis171
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, davis171 said:

So explain what you would do with Dwight and Sap taking up over half your cap this coming off-season so you have no cap space to improve your "proud" 8-seed atl hawks! I honestly don't think had we brought our core back minus THJ we make the playoffs so it would be all for not but just humor me what moves are you making? You have the 15th pick of the draft for past examples the 15th pick was traded for George hill BUT you need to include players because you are over the cap obviously so let's hear it!

Oh, you don't want to answer my question, because you know there are no superstars among this year's draftees.

7 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Oh, you don't want to answer my question, because you know there are no superstars among this year's draftees.

I never said that I love Ayton's and Doncic's ceiling and current games. I am also much higher on Bamba than most with him having a solid FT % and could see guys like Rawle Awkins and Porter being nice late pickups. I have said multiple times I think the draft is only 1 aspect of building a contender and you can't just tank and expect to be good in a few year without signing the right players to fit around the core.

Edited by davis171