Hawks grant Budenholzer access to interview with the Suns

JTB

25 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

I agree. Everyone is assuming hes gone but it's just permission to interview. It's not a big deal.

I wonder how often head coaches go on interviews and then stick with their original team. I feel like it's probably a low percentage. He may not end up in Phoenix, but at this point I'm mentally prepared for him to bounce (or get bounced) somewhere. If he does end up in Phoenix, we better get #16 and/or the right to swap top picks. I'm not sure what the rules are on coach trades. I know Doc got an unprotected first for Boston. 

4 hours ago, Sothron said:

I have to think we'd be getting at least one first rounder in compensation for this. Bud is a top five coach in the league and is under contract for two more years. If we just let him go without any compensation then I'd have to question the sanity of our GM and ownership.

Schlenk has let so many walk away this season without anything in return ....I’m actually starting to think Schlenk may very well allow bud to walk for free just so he can get his own guy in Atlanta. 

Even then though it’s stupid to get rid of a top 5 coach and even dumber not to get anything for him in return.

If we don’t get anything in return I will have full belief that the team is up for sale.

• Like 1

The difference between the 76ers tanking on purpose and the hawks tanking on purpose is that throughout that whole process at least Brett Brown (who’s another longtime spurs assistant) stayed committed to the rebuild.

theoretically Brett Brown is and has always been a good coach but just had a horrible roster.

bud not sticking around drags this process out longer than the 76ers tank fest.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, KB21 said:

Who did Fizdale develop in Memphis?  He's not going to take the job regardless.  Better set your sights lower than him.  This is a guaranteed losing spot for 5 years.

Can you please stop saying this like it’s a fact? Ive never seen someone so hurt about going from a treadmill team to tanking.

• Like 1

WHO REALLY IS TRAVIS SCHLENK?

This question was on my mind from the time we got him and not knowing much about him then and still not knowing much about him now (other than a few negatives)...I must say Schlenk is a very very confusing General Manager and basketball mind based on his actions with this hawks team.

-If you’re a hawks fan and hear that you will be getting a new gm that comes from the championship warriors franchise you automatically assume that the hawks are going to almost be ran the exact same way as the warriors AND spurs culture (which the spurs culture we were already trying to adapt to) 

but this new warriors gm comes in and basically (soon to anyways) allows the spurs/warriors type coach in Budenholzer walk and some of the names tied to schlenk happens to be heavy isolation coaches for example  Mike Brown & Mark Jackson. Shall Schlenk hire one of these guys or another heavy isolation coach we as fans really will have to question who Travis Schlenk is!...

a move or possible move for a heavy isolation coach would not be warriors or spurs like by any means! 

I have no clue what to think of schlenk...there’s speculation that he may be in love with Trae young as a prospect since he reminds him of Curry (and that’s warriors/spurs like even if it don’t pan out) but then there’s this possibility of Schlenk acquiring a heavy isolation coach like Mark Jackson or Mike Brown who clearly wouldn’t fit a possible curry like player in Trae Young.

guess I’m just upset cause I have no clue what kind of culture Schlenk is trying to bring to Atlanta but I have this weird feeling we will see Trae Young and Mark Jackson on the sideline 

• Like 1

• Premium Member
41 minutes ago, JTB said:

WHO REALLY IS TRAVIS SCHLENK?

This question was on my mind from the time we got him and not knowing much about him then and still not knowing much about him now (other than a few negatives)...I must say Schlenk is a very very confusing General Manager and basketball mind based on his actions with this hawks team.

-If you’re a hawks fan and hear that you will be getting a new gm that comes from the championship warriors franchise you automatically assume that the hawks are going to almost be ran the exact same way as the warriors AND spurs culture (which the spurs culture we were already trying to adapt to) 

but this new warriors gm comes in and basically (soon to anyways) allows the spurs/warriors type coach in Budenholzer walk and some of the names tied to schlenk happens to be heavy isolation coaches for example  Mike Brown & Mark Jackson. Shall Schlenk hire one of these guys or another heavy isolation coach we as fans really will have to question who Travis Schlenk is!...

a move or possible move for a heavy isolation coach would not be warriors or spurs like by any means! 

I have no clue what to think of schlenk...there’s speculation that he may be in love with Trae young as a prospect since he reminds him of Curry (and that’s warriors/spurs like even if it don’t pan out) but then there’s this possibility of Schlenk acquiring a heavy isolation coach like Mark Jackson or Mike Brown who clearly wouldn’t fit a possible curry like player in Trae Young.

guess I’m just upset cause I have no clue what kind of culture Schlenk is trying to bring to Atlanta but I have this weird feeling we will see Trae Young and Mark Jackson on the sideline 

You are starting to sound like KB21

• Like 3

I like Bud, he’s a very good coach who could be great if he wasn’t so stubborn. He’s a HORRIBLE PBO/GM though. If he’s going to the Suns and will be given more power, good luck with that.

I hope he stays. Hawks U would definitely take a step back if we lose him. Then again, it already did when Snyder and Atkinson left. Jent seems like an asset on that front, still. I’m reserving judgment for now, it’s just an interview and there’s a possibility he stays.

If he bolts to Phoenix it definitely isn’t because he doesn’t want to be part of a tanking/rebuild process, such horse$shit. I was just mentioning in a post the other day how he was born and raised in Arizona, went to college in SoCal. It’ll be because he and Schlenk aren’t seeing eye to eye on picks and direction. Damn, I’ll have to clear out my auto fill from typing “Schlenkholzer” after only 2 letters.

Hawks better be swapping those 1st and 4th picks, as well as getting the 16th if a Bud deal goes down. 1st, 16th, 19th, 30th, and 33rd is a HAUL. Whether used or bundled. Grab Ayton or Doncic at 1, then bundle the 16th and 19th to move up for a 2nd lottery pick. Schlenk nailed it with Collins and Dorsey, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt there. Nails this draft too and we have us a GM folks.

As long as we’re going there, replacement coach. NO Mark Jackson. Dude tried to heal Steph’s ankle with holy oil from his congregation. Shit you not. No thanks Mark. I say get Quin Snyder back in here, any Schlenk connection there? Fitz is intriguing, former assistant in both Oakland and Atlanta. Jay Wright is interesting, a 2-time champ who’s always sniffing the finals and would be coaching young guys. Go ahead and sign up 3zus as an assistant and get it over with. I’m sure Schlenk has someone in mind, as long as it ain’t Jackson.

Hope Bud stays, if he goes I hope we get #1 pick, Snyder would be a cool replacement, and if Schlenk nails these picks like he did last year we good. Would hate to see that Bud wave go though...

Edited by hazer

4 minutes ago, hazer said:

I like Bud, he’s a very good coach who could be great if he wasn’t so stubborn. He’s a HORRIBLE PBO/GM though. If he’s going to the Suns and will be given more power, good luck with that.

I hope he stays. Hawks U would definitely take a step back if we lose him. Then again, it already did when Snyder and Atkinson left. Jent seems like an asset on that front, still. I’m reserving judgment for now, it’s just an interview and there’s a possibility he stays.

If he bolts to Phoenix it definitely isn’t because he doesn’t want to be part of a tanking/rebuild process, such horse$shit. I was just mentioning in a post the other day how he was born and raised in Arizona, went to college in SoCal. It’ll be because he and Schlenk aren’t seeing eye to eye. Damn, I’ll have to clear out my auto fill from typing “Schlenkholzer” after only 2 letters.

Hawks better be swapping those 1st and 4th picks, as well as getting the 16th if a Bud deal goes down. 1st, 16th, 19th, 30th, and 33rd is a HAUL. Whether used or bundled. Grab Ayton or Doncic at 1, then bundle the 16th and 19th to move up for a 2nd lottery pick. Schlenk nailed it with Collins and Dorsey, so I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt there. Nails this draft too and we have us a GM folks.

As long as we’re going there, replacement coach. NO Mark Jackson. Dude tried to heal Steph’s ankle with holy oil from his congregation. Shit you not. No thanks Mark. I say get Quin Snyder back in here, any Schlenk connection there? Fitz is intriguing, former assistant in both Oakland and Atlanta. Jay Wright is interesting, a 2-time champ who’s always sniffing the finals and would be coaching young guys. Go ahead and sign up 3zus as an assistant and get it over with. I’m sure Schlenk has someone in mind, as long as it ain’t Jackson.

Hope Bud stays, if he goes I hope we get #1 pick, Snyder would be a cool replacement, and if Schlenk nails these picks like he did last year we good. Would hate to see that Bud wave go though...

Why would Snyder leave Utah? 

He's built them from the ground up and now they have a young Mitchell to build around.   Would love to have Snyder here, but Utah will do everything in their power to keep him.   

I'm not going to say what's going to happen because I know nothing.  I just hope Bud stays and we somehow still get the number 1 pick and hit on every draft pick. 

I know with Atlanta Sports the liklihood of that happening are probably around 0%.  (shurgs)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, marco102 said:

Why would Snyder leave Utah?

Because it’s.....Utah. And we’d have 2 lottery picks plus Menace/Printz/J-Bap. He won’t, it’s just wishful thinking. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hazer said:

Upon further review, if Hawks are able to swap the 4th for the 1st AND the get the 16th, might be better to just hold onto the 16th an 19th unless there was just somebody around 12th-14th they REALLY have a chubby for. Then again if they’re swapping 1/4 they’ll probably be swapping 16/19 too instead of just acquiring it.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AHF said:

Anyone remember what Boston got when they let Doc go to LAC?

1st round pick, that the NBA had to try and make look like it wasn’t a direct trade of a coach for a pick. Correct?

Still isn’t a given, but it sure is starting to look that way. Started getting weird with the end-of-season winning, playing Fresh Printz 39 minutes, etc. Schlenkholzer not seeing eye-to-eye on draft picks/direction maybe? Possibly over Dennis and “taking on salary for picks” breaking developments? Anybody’s guess, but there’s where the smoke is.

58 minutes ago, hazer said:

If he bolts to Phoenix it definitely isn’t because he doesn’t want to be part of a tanking/rebuild process, such horse$shit. I was just mentioning in a post the other day how he was born and raised in Arizona, went to college in SoCal. It’ll be because he and Schlenk aren’t seeing eye to eye on picks and direction. Damn, I’ll have to clear out my auto fill from typing “Schlenkholzer” after only 2 letters.

If Phoenix gives up all of that for Bud, who the hell is he gonna coach? lol. But seriously, I cant see them giving up 16 and swapping picks...Besides, I dont think Schlenk wants the #1 pick anyway....

Edited by buckyboy2
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Peoriabird said:

You are starting to sound like KB21

Not trying ...just trying to figure out Schlenk. So far he doesn’t seem like warriors/spurs type that most of us thought he was