• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Tank Thread

Diesel

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

Wait a minute.  I thought all it took to get a star was to draft high in the draft.  You mean to tell me that none of those #2 overall picks have become this generational star?

Yet the talk is how now they are real players for getting LeBron. Why? Because they have good young talent. Our talent couldn't even sniff a fleeting thought from a superstar. Maybe you had our last playoff caliber team a little too highly valued if superstars still didn't want to come to the Hawks. 

Fact is the NBA is about The haves and the have-nots. You either have young talent that attracts more superstars or you don't. And it has been pretty clear for a very long time, the Hawks have not had that caliber of player or players. If a Superstar looking to join a good young core doesn't even look at your team, you don't have the talent you think you do. 

33 minutes ago, Watchman said:

Ferry offered them longer contracts, but they weren't interested.  How is Ferry accountable for that?

That's why they should have been moved for assets as I alluded to which I 100% believe was Ferry's plan or just let them walk they weren't meant to be lifers.

37 minutes ago, noble said:

Yet the talk is how now they are real players for getting LeBron. Why? Because they have good young talent. Our talent couldn't even sniff a fleeting thought from a superstar. Maybe you had our last playoff caliber team a little too highly valued if superstars still didn't want to come to the Hawks. 

Fact is the NBA is about The haves and the have-nots. You either have young talent that attracts more superstars or you don't. And it has been pretty clear for a very long time, the Hawks have not had that caliber of player or players. If a Superstar looking to join a good young core doesn't even look at your team, you don't have the talent you think you do. 

LA is a target for LeBron because of the LA market, not because of this young talent that can't get them to the playoffs.  You could literally swap LA's roster for Atlanta's, and LeBron would still go to LA.

Edited by KB21

4 hours ago, davis171 said:

They did have a really nice pick in Kelly Oubre Jr and traded him on draft night because "he wasn't immediately ready" for THJ and what did that net us now? Shlenk had no choice but to blow it up Sap THJ, and Dwight are not assets on their current contracts bottom line. Ferry 100% knows about bird rights why would he have not given them contracts that are 3+ years if they were supposed to be around in the future you think Ferry is an idiot?

Ferry might not be an idiot, but it was an idiotic move.  Ferry's whole philosophy was "flexibility".  Those contracts made the Hawks "flexible".  It was reported that Millsap himself wanted the 2 year deal.  But if Ferry offered him or Carroll more years, with the option to opt out after Year 2, we retain their Bird Rights.   Once they play in that 3rd year, we have the right to sign them and go over the Salary Cap.

But around these parts, we covet "cap space", even if we don't have a feasible plan on how to use it.

Hopefully Schlenk pulls a "Bullwinkle" and pulls a rabbit out of his hat . . ( showing my age )

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Ferry might not be an idiot, but it was an idiotic move.  Ferry's whole philosophy was "flexibility".  Those contracts made the Hawks "flexible".  It was reported that Millsap himself wanted the 2 year deal.  But if Ferry offered him or Carroll more years, with the option to opt out after Year 2, we retain their Bird Rights.   Once they play in that 3rd year, we have the right to sign them and go over the Salary Cap.

But around these parts, we covet "cap space", even if we don't have a feasible plan on how to use it.

Hopefully Schlenk pulls a "Bullwinkle" and pulls a rabbit out of his hat . . ( showing my age )

Yeah your just wrong. The point was "Flexability" which is awesome. Sap and DMC were never supposed to be multi contact guys otherwise you pay the extra (hawks went into that season under the cap). The entire point was to move them for assets if they over preform the contract but Ferry wasn't here to make the deals. Schlenk has a plan that ownership likes please just shut up and in 3 years if you don't like the direction I may agree but the dude has been here for less than a year and no one is complaining from the hawks side. How do you know there is no plan on how to use the cap space Schlenk give you a phone call?

Edited by davis171

3 hours ago, MaceCase said:

They aren't difference makers, it showed with the Hawks and it's showing with their current teams, that's not somehow magically improving over the next few years, in fact the expectation is quite the opposite.  They are complimentary players at this stage of their careers yet your plan is to pay and play them as if they are feature stars.

The Timberwolves added an All Star All NBA player in his prime, a far cry from retaining two former All Stars that are 5 years older.  They used their accumulated lottery assets to acquire said star.  They are giddy because they have said star leading them to the playoffs and there will be continuity because of his age and the fact that he's flanked by a star that they drafted and another that they traded for whom they hope has star potential.

That's a far cry from the Hawks whom you want to pass off a second hand team as a worthwhile investment.  A 4 game losing streak might knock the Wolves out of the playoffs?  Well just winning 5 more games will have them surpassing the Hawks' win total in 3 out of the last 5 years.  What does that tell you about each team's respective positions going forward?

It tells me that after 13 years of futility and 8 head coaches, they FINALLY get to the point in which they might win 45 games.

It's party time in the Twin Cities.

LOL @ Dwight and Millsap not being "difference makers".  Looks like a 15 game difference to me.

• Premium Member
4 hours ago, KB21 said:

The Hawks will have a better chance at being a 15 win team next season with what may amount to 2/3rds of the roster having 1 year or less of experience, than they will at actually competing for a playoff spot.

They don't exactly look like a 15 win team tonight!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Sap missed like 10 games down the stretch last season, which caused the late season slide.

Then he was in straight beast mode in the playoffs.

Yup so pay him a third of the cap for the next 3 years to fight for the elusive 8 seed I like it!

Edited by davis171
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, davis171 said:

That's why they should have been moved for assets as I alluded to which I 100% believe was Ferry's plan or just let them walk they weren't meant to be lifers.

They were both unrestricted free agents.  What was he supposed to do?  Trade them in the middle of the best season ever?  He screwed himself, especially in the case of DeMarre, with the 2 year contract.

DMC was on a prove in contract it makes since. Sap should have been traded the season after for assets. Ik you think that sounds crazy but Boston traded a guy top 5 in MVP voting. After resigning him and making it to the deadline everyone should have realized the core isn't strong enough and made some big shaking moves.

Edited by davis171

6 minutes ago, davis171 said:

Yup so pay him a third of the cap for the next 3 years to fight for the elusive 8 seed I like it!

More like battling Cleveland, Indiana, and Washington for the 3rd seed.

It's cool though.  The Hawks are not only going to add Ayton, we'll add Zion Williamson, and Mac McClung ( when he comes out in his Sophomore year ).  Those 3, along with Collins and Prince, will bring the Hawks back to the glory days by 2025.

1 minute ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It's cool though.  The Hawks are not only going to add Ayton, we'll add Zion Williamson, and Mac McClung ( when he comes out in his Sophomore year ).  Those 3, along with Collins and Prince, will bring the Hawks back to the glory days by 2025.

Huh 3rd seed?????????? Whatcha smoking and can I get some! We were 4th our last year with Al???

4 hours ago, Vol4ever said:

You are correct Diesel.  You and I have been around awhile and have seen this movie before.  

Lots of us have been around awhile and seen a similar movie. This remake has a better producer and director, however...

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

LA is a target for LeBron because of the LA market, not because of this young talent that can't get them to the playoffs.  You could literally swap LA's roster for Atlanta's, and LeBron would still go to LA.

You really believe that? Then why didn't he go to LA or NY when he left the last time? Oh right because Miami was about the market...which is bigger than LA and NY.

34 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

Nope, because you along with the others overrate Dwight's abilities.

50 minutes ago, TheNorthCydeRises said:

It tells me that after 13 years of futility and 8 head coaches, they FINALLY get to the point in which they might win 45 games.

It's party time in the Twin Cities.

LOL @ Dwight and Millsap not being "difference makers".  Looks like a 15 game difference to me.

You recognize that the Wolves missed the playoffs a few times during that stretch where they won more games than the Hawks did in a few of their own playoff appearances?  So the Wolves are chastised for their circumstances but keep the party going in Atlanta?

Know who else is striving for a playoff appearance?  Denver and Charlotte.  And thanks to Paul "The Difference" Millsap and Dwight "Commitment to Excellence" Howard those cities will be partying too.   Oh wait.

• Like 2

• Premium Member

Are we merging everything into the tank thread now???

What does this:

It was the season we won 60 games and went to the ECF.

Earlier that year, Gearon Jr., a pissed off former owner, set the wheels in motion that would be to Ferry's demised.   Gearon Jr.  leaked a tape with Ferry repeating racist comments.   In a city that is one of the most diverse in the world, there was Blacklash.  Ferry was Fired or suspended.. however, you want to put it.. and the Hawks front office was left with BudCox assuming the role of GM also. 

Budcox failed because of Lack of vision.   And a few years later.. the streak is over.  We are moving to a GM who doesn't seem to have much vision.  The Hawks are reliving their past where they think that tanking is the answer..

Somewhere in Upstate GA.. Gearon Jr. is having the last laugh. 

Have to do with tanking?

• Premium Member
5 hours ago, davis171 said:

They did have a really nice pick in Kelly Oubre Jr and traded him on draft night because "he wasn't immediately ready" for THJ and what did that net us now? Shlenk had no choice but to blow it up Sap THJ, and Dwight are not assets on their current contracts bottom line. Ferry 100% knows about bird rights why would he have not given them contracts that are 3+ years if they were supposed to be around in the future you think Ferry is an idiot?

Sorry but THJr is still better than Oubre Jr.  The problem is again a problem of GMing.  When you made the trade for THjr, you should have been ready to extend him befoe he became a UFA. 

• Premium Member
2 hours ago, noble said:

Actually... that's code for Lebron is Leaving to go to LAL so Cleveland can either get something back or get nothing back.