• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

I am going against the consensus

Wurider05

Hats off to anyone who can correctly project a college or European player to the NBA.  I can’t say sh@t until Summer League.  I watched the highlight tape of Bamba posted here and left with a non-screening Clint Capella.  I will follow Porter Jr soon as it starts tho.  Just an intriguing guy (6’10 wing, very little social media, raw vegan, looks much cooler and smarter than the average millennial, Nike guy, etc.)

Edited by benhillboy

6 minutes ago, benhillboy said:

Hats off to anyone who can correctly project a college or European player to the NBA.  I can’t say sh@t until Summer League.  I watched the highlight tape of Bamba posted here and left with a non-screening Clint Capella.  I will follow Porter Jr soon as it starts tho.  Just an intriguing guy (6’10 wing, very little social media, raw vegan, looks much cooler and smarter than the average millennial, Nike guy, etc.)

Wait Porter is smart? He’s got a pretty dumb look on his face all the time. I love him as a player though, smooth as can be. I wouldn’t bank on his brain though. He looks pretty aloof.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:37 PM, Wurider05 said:

My gut is telling me that we need to draft Mo Bamba. I have seen some of this highlights and interviews. He comes across as being very intelligent. I think that with Collins as the PF and with him as the center we could be a force to reckon with. Bagley is a hell of a player but I got a feeling that Bamba may end up being the best player in this draft.

No reaches for upside at #3 please. We passed on proven college ability when we drafted Marvin Williams over CP3 and Deron. Kwame Brown was all about upside and measurements with no proven ability.

Take the closest thing to a sure thing and lets save the measurement based reaches for 19,30, and 34. I don't won't JJJ either at #3 for the very same reasons.

• Like 1

• Moderators

I really wanted to see Porter play this year because he worries me as being more hype than true upside.  As a scorer with a subpar handle and eh long-range shooting numbers (and no defensive kudos) against HS competition, I was looking forward to seeing him prove it in college.  I don't hold the college production against him since the sample size was so small and he was recovering from injury but he would have to absolutely wow me.  The comparison to the Shelden draft is completely off base  to me because there are a lot of equally intriguing prospects in this draft whereas that one was pretty crappy (arguably one of the worst sets of lottery talent in the last 20 years).  You will be choosing between candidates with similar upsides to Porter but without the injury status and with more track record.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Spud2nique said:

Wait Porter is smart? He’s got a pretty dumb look on his face all the time. I love him as a player though, smooth as can be. I wouldn’t bank on his brain though. He looks pretty aloof.

Haha, wasn’t judging the “look in his eyes.”  I’ll let you and @kg01 gaze into the windows of his soul and swoon.  Just the fact he doesn’t have the requisite one-and-done millionaire athlete look: Sideshow Bob hair with a temp fade, quarter million $ jewelry advance from his agent, hideous couture clothing, full-body tatttoo, etc.

Welcome back tho fool.  I could never ban a cat from a Hawks board who’s name is Spud to Nique.  All them other fools, yeah (just playing!)

Edited by benhillboy
  • Like 4

24 minutes ago, AHF said:

I really wanted to see Porter play this year because he worries me as being more hype than true upside.  As a scorer with a subpar handle and eh long-range shooting numbers (and no defensive kudos) against HS competition, I was looking forward to seeing him prove it in college.  I don't hold the college production against him since the sample size was so small and he was recovering from injury but he would have to absolutely wow me.  The comparison to the Shelden draft is completely off base  to me because there are a lot of equally intriguing prospects in this draft whereas that one was pretty crappy (arguably one of the worst sets of lottery talent in the last 20 years).  You will be choosing between candidates with similar upsides to Porter but without the injury status and with more track record.

Who are the guys you envision having number 1 potential on a contender in this draft? I really only see Ayton or Porter having that upside. I'm not sure they will reach that plateau either, but I feel pretty confident JJ, Doncic, Bamba, Sexton, and Trae Young won't be number 1s on a contender. Bagley is like a mystery box I see him be as a Tyson Chandler or Shawn Marion type player,  but some think he has Anthony Davis type potential. All these guys could be all stars, but we need a number 1. We had plenty of all stars with no rings. 

I don't see Porter as slow personally. He's 6-10, show me the 6-10 guys that are faster than him. I see him as a bigger better version of Jayson Tatum, all the same criticisms were thrown out for him too(to slow, no D, can't handle).  Too bad top athletes don't do the combine anymore, but I bet he not much slower than Doncic while be far more athletic and imo a better shooter, and way longer.  Keep in mind he hasn't been a pro since the age of 13 either. Defense is always bad on rookies,  they all have to learn to play NBA defense. Like I said if they think there's another number 1 in this draft than by all means draft him,  but I'm not looking to find Al Horford 2.0, or Josh Smith 3.0. We need those players after we find an alpha #1 because this will likely be the highest pick of this rebuild.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, benhillboy said:

Haha, wasn’t judging the “look in his eyes.”  I’ll let you and @kg01 gaze into the windows of his soul and swoon.  Just the fact he doesn’t have the requisite one-and-done millionaire athlete look: Sideshow Bob hair with a temp fade, quarter million $ jewelry advance from his agent, hideous couture clothing, full-body tatttoo, etc.

Welcome back tho fool.  I could never ban a cat from a Hawks board who’s name is Spud to Nique.  All them other fools, yeah (just playing!)

Thank you BenHill, 

Well to be fair, Porter is @kg01‘s boy. They went on several dates this year (after MPJ was done doing the entire east and west side of the Washington state cheerleading squads) and Porter indicated to kg that his back was ok. (Kg wanted to double check and said he didn’t believe Porter so they went back to his pad for a checkup). After breakfast the next day, news broke out that MPJ’s back won’t be an issue moving forward.

Ps This story was also confirmed by @NBASupes and his Bagley lovin screw including @romebee who never drops in to say sup no more after we listened to his podcast...smh..COMON HOMIE!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, benhillboy said:

This is hurtful, benhill.  Don't you realize the kg stands for KeefeGrant as in Adam Keefe/Grant Long?   Surely that's gotta get more cred than Spud 'n Nique. :cool:

1 hour ago, Spud2nique said:

Thank you BenHill, 

Well to be fair, Porter is @kg01‘s boy. They went on several dates this year (after MPJ was done doing the entire east and west side of the Washington state cheerleading squads) and Porter indicated to kg that his back was ok. (Kg wanted to double check and said he didn’t believe Porter so they went back to his pad for a checkup). After breakfast the next day, news broke out that MPJ’s back won’t be an issue moving forward.

Ps This story was also confirmed by @NBASupes and his Bagley lovin screw including @romebee who never drops in to say sup no more after we listened to his podcast...smh..COMON HOMIE!

... all of this is true.

• Like 2

• Moderators
On 5/23/2018 at 6:11 PM, ATLien_ said:

Who are the guys you envision having number 1 potential on a contender in this draft? I really only see Ayton or Porter having that upside. I'm not sure they will reach that plateau either, but I feel pretty confident JJ, Doncic, Bamba, Sexton, and Trae Young won't be number 1s on a contender. Bagley is like a mystery box I see him be as a Tyson Chandler or Shawn Marion type player,  but some think he has Anthony Davis type potential. All these guys could be all stars, but we need a number 1. We had plenty of all stars with no rings. 

I don't see Porter as slow personally. He's 6-10, show me the 6-10 guys that are faster than him. I see him as a bigger better version of Jayson Tatum, all the same criticisms were thrown out for him too(to slow, no D, can't handle).  Too bad top athletes don't do the combine anymore, but I bet he not much slower than Doncic while be far more athletic and imo a better shooter, and way longer.  Keep in mind he hasn't been a pro since the age of 13 either. Defense is always bad on rookies,  they all have to learn to play NBA defense. Like I said if they think there's another number 1 in this draft than by all means draft him,  but I'm not looking to find Al Horford 2.0, or Josh Smith 3.0. We need those players after we find an alpha #1 because this will likely be the highest pick of this rebuild.

This is exactly what I am talking about.  "Another 1."  Haven't seen anything from him that says alpha #1 to me.  Stack the health on and he worries me.

• Like 1

On 5/23/2018 at 7:11 PM, ATLien_ said:

My 2 problems with MPJ are 1. He seems to be very much perimeter oriented and 2. From what I’ve seen, he seems like a below the rim type of player. Of course, there’s not a lot out there.

I can’t say either way with ANY confidence whether he will book or bust. 

4 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

My 2 problems with MPJ are 1. He seems to be very much perimeter oriented and 2. From what I’ve seen, he seems like a below the rim type of player. Of course, there’s not a lot out there.

Below the rim...no sir!

10 hours ago, AHF said:

This is exactly what I am talking about.  "Another 1."  Haven't seen anything from him that says alpha #1 to me.  Stack the health on and he worries me.

Fair enough. I see most high school players highlights and it consist of 10 minutes of dunks and over powering inferior players and getting by on athleticism. Ive seen 10 minute highlights that are literally 10 minutes of Porter rhythm dribbling and mouth piecing people all over the court. He can score in a variety of ways and can make NBA shots dribble pull ups, rhythm pull ups fades. He's basically a 6-10 shot creator with 7 foot plus reach. How many guys that tall can bring the ball up court and hit a dribble pull up from deep 3? This kind of shot making ability translates to the NBA.

I also believe he has an Alpha mindset which is just as important as the skill set. Trae Young, Markelle Fultz etc other top recruits deferred to him. You saw what those guys did in college. Porter was the lead dog on those AAU teams and u18 Olympic teams. I also like that he's a coaches son.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, EazyRoc said:

Lots of above the room here.

• Moderators
41 minutes ago, ATLien_ said:

Lots of above the room here.

Better video but emphasizes why i would have loved to see him play this year.  85% of the video was dunks with no one within 4 feet of him or being guarded by someone 4 inches shorter.

Michael Porter Jr has been hyped up to be this unbelievably elite shooter, and he's simply not elite in that aspect.  Yes, he can shoot the pull up jumper off the dribble, but nothing in his AAU film or FIBA film suggests that he will be an efficient shooter.  He has major struggles at doing anything off the dribble that isn't a pull up jumper.  You rarely see him take his man off the dribble and attack the basket.  He's an above average vertical athlete and a below average horizontal athlete.  He's not long.  He rarely looks to pass the ball.

He's this draft's Andrew Wiggins.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AHF said:

Better video but emphasizes why i would have loved to see him play this year.  85% of the video was dunks with no one within 4 feet of him or being guarded by someone 4 inches shorter.

Why do you specifically need to see him play in college when we saw him excel against  most of the people in this class already except Doncic. We also have the added advantage of watching his younger brother play well enough to move himself into the first round of this draft, and Michael is the far superior prospect of the two. 

3 hours ago, KB21 said:

Michael Porter Jr has been hyped up to be this unbelievably elite shooter, and he's simply not elite in that aspect.  Yes, he can shoot the pull up jumper off the dribble, but nothing in his AAU film or FIBA film suggests that he will be an efficient shooter.  He has major struggles at doing anything off the dribble that isn't a pull up jumper.  You rarely see him take his man off the dribble and attack the basket.  He's an above average vertical athlete and a below average horizontal athlete.  He's not long.  He rarely looks to pass the ball.

He's this draft's Andrew Wiggins.  

So your telling me a guy that shot 47% from 3 his senior year and 86% from the free throw line can't really shoot it's hype? Lets not act like he's standing in the corner catching and shooting getting spoon fed either. There's a ton of off the dribbles in that number. If you want to tear him down you should talk about his thin body and ball handling. He's tweener defensively like your boy Donic not quick enough to guard 3s but doesn't have the body to play 4. I can have one suspect defender on my championship roster(Curry, Harden), but he better be a hell of a scorer this guy is. This guy is not perfect prospect there's no LeBron in this draft. 

@KB21please stop with the hype crap. All these players are hyped and none more than your love child Doncic. I'm glad he can dominate a league full of NBA rejects like Chris Singelton and Adreian Payne. And by dominate I mean average 15 points a game while shooting 31% from 3. Is it not the least bit concerning to you that a guy that's been professionally trained paid to play a sport since 13 is 31% 3 point shooter? Ever heard of the rule of 10,000? I would have to think Doncic is a lot closer to his 10,000 hours than Porter whose been coached by non professionals and attending high school. To fulfill his potential Doncic will need to be a great shooter because his lack on the athletic scale. He would be much better served playing off an Alpha then trying to be one. Also I suspect his rebounding won't translate to the NBA because most of them are flat footed or barely off the ground. Wasn't Miloš Teodosić dominating the Euro league? How did he do in the NBA this year? I'll wait for you to tell me.

I was more on board with Doncic when Bud was the coach because I thought his system would get the most out of him. I have no idea of his fit with Pierce, but I think he can be an allstar in the right system. 

• Like 1