• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Has our new coach mentioned anything about how we are going run our offense?

JTB

1 hour ago, KB21 said:

I'll present you Ben Sullivan, who has been the Hawks shooting coach since he has been on staff.  He's now in Milwaukee with Bud.  

Why are you presenting someone who is not on our coaching staff? Are you going to introduce us to every Hawks former assistant coach by the start of the season?

This topic is about our coach and home court is about our team. Go to around the NBA with your non Hawks posting please; or go to their board. Either should work.

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Why are you presenting someone who is not on our coaching staff? Are you going to introduce us to every Hawks former assistant coach by the start of the season?

This topic is about our coach and home court is about our team. Go to around the NBA with your non Hawks posting please; or go to their board. Either should work.

You guys need reminders about what we have lost because of our idiot GM.

2 hours ago, KB21 said:

I'll present you Ben Sullivan, who has been the Hawks shooting coach since he has been on staff.  He's now in Milwaukee with Bud.  

Yeah, I’ll stick with Jent, thanks:

“We have an unbelievable staff (in Cleveland) that voices their opinion about what I should do, what things they can do to help me get better," James said. "I had a shooting coach years back in Chris Jent that helped my shot out a lot when he was here as an assistant coach. From there on I just kept the same routine. He helped me out a lot."

The Cavs, like most (but not all) NBA teams, do not have a designated shooting coach, the way all pro baseball teams have a pitching coach or golfers have swing coaches.

Jent held the titles of player development coordinator and assistant coach when he worked for the Cavs from 2006 to 2011, but he was essentially James' personal instructor.

Under Jent's tutelage James enjoyed three of the best four seasons he's ever had at the foul line, including a career-best 78-percent shooting effort in 2008-09.

Jent, the former Ohio State Buckeye and NBA vet who is now the head coach for the Phoenix Suns' D-League team in Bakersfield, Calif, still watches James' shot from afar.

And he said what he sees now is not what he taught the Cavs' superstar years ago.

"His shot has changed a great deal," Jent said. "Maybe some things are for the better, I don't know, but it's different."

Jent said the foot shuffle James incorporated into his foul-shooting motion could, theoretically, pose challenges for him because of James' size (6-foot-8, 250 pounds) and the importance of staying balanced.

But, Jent said, "the most important thing at the free-throw line or just with the game in general, you have to feel good about what you're doing.

"Confidence makes up for a lot of what ails you," Jent said. "If that's what 'Bron wants to do (use a rocker step), and he is comfortable with it, there's a chance for success.

"If he's experimenting all the time, it's going to be tough."

Jent said one of the great things about working with James was his willingness to listen, to work, and to accept change, especially during the offseason...

View Comments (15)

Advance Local

Use of and/or registration on any portion of this site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement (updated 5/25/18) and Privacy Policy and Cookie Statement (updated 5/25/18).

© 2018 Advance Local Media LLC. All rights reserved (About Us).
The material on this site may not be reproduced, distributed, transmitted, cached or otherwise used, except with the prior written permission of Advance Local.

Community Rules apply to all content you upload or otherwise submit to this site.

Your California Privacy Rights

ad_choices_arrow_transparent.png Ad Choices

Close button for the advertisement.
  • Like 2

33 minutes ago, KB21 said:

You guys need reminders about what we have lost because of our idiot GM.

Not really but if I will play. You need to be reminded of who we lost because of our idiot former President and Coach.

Al Horford, All Star. without him, Boston goes nowhere in the playoffs this season.

Jeff Teague, Former All Star, without him, Minny does not make the playoffs this season.

Kyle Korver, Former All Star. without him, the Cavs probably lose to Boston in the playoffs.

If Bud had not made those three mistakes, he would probably still be our Coach and President. But instead he traded Teague and promoted Dennis. He thought Korver was done and stuck a fork in him. And he screwed up the relationship with Horford. Whine like a little child all you want; but Schlenk was not here when Bud lost the bulk of our talent.

A footnote on the Korver trade, if Bron leaves, we end up with two 2nd round picks and all they got was a solid contributor on a NBA Finals team. In a nutshell, under Bud's guidance we turned three former all stars and solid contributors into one 1st and two 2nds. Thank you so much President Bud!

• Like 2

https://www.theringer.com/nba/2016/10/10/16077030/nba-shooting-coaches-kent-bazemore-kawhi-leonard-8660e9939680

The Apprentice

In 2014, Hawks head coach Mike Budenholzer, who had previously been an assistant with the Spurs, hired Ben Sullivan, who was then just a 30-year-old assistant video coordinator with San Antonio. "I learned from Chip Engelland, that’s who mentored and taught me," Sullivan tells me. "I owe him everything for what he’s done for me."

Some players owe Sullivan, too. Kent Bazemore had tears in his eyes at his press conference after signing a four-year, $70 million deal to return to the Hawks. He wondered aloud, "Why walk away from something so perfect?" A lot of what made Atlanta perfect had to do with Sullivan. Bazemore calls his shooting coach "a blessing in his life" and "a great friend" off the court. "His wife and my financée are really good friends, so we spend a lot of time together," Bazemore tells me. "It’s good we can have those kind of relationships. When we step on the floor it’s strictly business, all about making each other better." Entering their third season together, they’ve already made each other a lot better. The revisions Sullivan made to Bazemore’s shot are similar to what Engelland did with Leonard.

During his time with the Warriors and Lakers, Bazemore brought the ball behind his head before launching it like a catapult at the rim. "I used to shoot way behind my head. It was like the weirdest hitch ever, but that came from growing up, and no one taught you how to shoot if it went in," Bazemore says. Now, with the Hawks, Bazemore keeps the ball in front of his face with a cleaner motion, much like Leonard. "I would say you want elbow under your wrist as a basic thing. I’ve seen guys without it, but it’s core principle," says Sullivan. "If your elbow is outside your wrist, it’s flared out like a chicken wing, that’s gonna be a little bit harder to shoot that way."

Bazemore’s off-hand also hovered over the top of ball, but a basketball shouldn’t be cradled like a baby. Bazemore says his off-hand "was basically a second defender." If it didn’t come off at the right time, it’d put a quirky spin on the ball, which led to misses. "It was frustrating because shots would feel good but they just wouldn’t go in," he says.

"I came to Atlanta, and Ben was like, ‘We’re gonna change your jump shot.’ That’s like the first thing he said the first day I walked in the gym," Bazemore recalls. "Ben is a straightforward guy, so we sat down and watched a few clips, and he’s like, ‘Dude, I don’t know how you make shots with the way your shot looks.’"

Bazemore shot 32.7 percent on 3s prior to joining the Hawks, and he’s been shooting 35.9 percent since, on a higher volume, with a greater degree of difficulty. On catch-and-shoot 3s, he’s even better, at 38.2 percent, per SportVU. Bazemore says the next stage is improving his 3s off the dribble.

"Ben told me having a more compact jumper gives you a higher chance of making a shot," Bazemore says. "You’ll never be 100 percent, but you want to give yourself the best chance of making a shot every time you’ll shoot."

They worked on technique by taking baby steps, focusing on mechanical stuff like ball, hand, elbow, and hip positioning. "It was almost like working on a golf swing," Bazemore says. "He also showed me a lot of shots of people throughout the league, of people we liked. We just took a blend of player positioning and body types, athleticism, all these kind of things, and we just kind of meshed it and made it our own kind of thing. It was super technical."

It wasn’t an easy transition, though. There was a time he couldn’t even make 16 of 25 attempts around the perimeter in an open gym. "I used to get upset and he’d say, ‘It’s for the future. We start here, and you’ll see the progress,’" Bazemore says. "It turned my entire career around."

4 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Not really but if I will play. You need to be reminded of who we lost because of our idiot former President and Coach.

Al Horford, All Star. without him, Boston goes nowhere in the playoffs this season.

Jeff Teague, Former All Star, without him, Minny does not make the playoffs this season.

Kyle Korver, Former All Star. without him, the Cavs probably lose to Boston in the playoffs.

If Bud had not made those three mistakes, he would probably still be our Coach and President. But instead he traded Teague and promoted Dennis. He thought Korver was done and stuck a fork in him. And he screwed up the relationship with Horford. Whine like a little child all you want; but Schlenk was not here when Bud lost the bulk of our talent.

A footnote on the Korver trade, if Bron leaves, we end up with two 2nd round picks and all they got was a solid contributor on a NBA Finals team. In a nutshell, under Bud's guidance we turned three former all stars and solid contributors into one 1st and two 2nds. Thank you so much President Bud!

This is revisionist history at its best.  

LaBrawna’s favorite coach in the NBA: Pierce 

LaBrawna’s personal shooting coach who he specifically credits for improving his shot: Chris Jent

Naw, we good. And I’m no fan of LaBrawna, but that’s a Top 3 player of all time talking right there.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, hazer said:

LaBrawna’s personal shooting coach who he specifically credits for improving his shot: Chris Jent

Naw, we good. And I’m no fan of LaBrawna, but that’s a Top 3 player of all time talking right there.

He also had David Blatt, a very good coach, fired because he wouldn't cater to him and had his buddy Tyron Lue, who can't coach himself out of a wet paper sack, hired.  So, chances are, if he likes a coach it is because said coach will cater to him and be his buddy.

4 hours ago, KB21 said:

He also had David Blatt, a very good coach, fired because he wouldn't cater to him and had his buddy Tyron Lue, who can't coach himself out of a wet paper sack, hired.  So, chances are, if he likes a coach it is because said coach will cater to him and be his buddy.

I’m well aware of what he did in the Blatt situation, and I can’t believe they actually call Lue a coach. But apples and oranges to the Pierce thing. LaBrawna’s not the only star player singing the praises of Pierce. Wade was another. This is exactly how you eventually attract FA’s once you return to the playoffs. Nothing wrong with being a players’ coach. See Brad Stevens and Steve Kerr. I don’t hear any star players singing the praises of Pudenholzer.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hazer said:

Can't dap the LeBron hate but love it that Jent has this value. 

On 6/9/2018 at 6:33 PM, Buzzard said:

KB don't want to acknowledge to the truth ever. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NBASupes said:

KB don't want to acknowledge to the truth ever. 

Idiot is to harsh on my part. Bud is a solid coach but was in way over his head as a President of an NBA Franchise worth over 1 billion dollars. He was no longer just running a small staff of coaches and 15 or so players including NBADL players.

In other words, Bud was not in Kansas anymore. He needs to stick with coaching and let business people run the business.

• Like 4

One recent rumor has the Hawks following the example of Golden State.  With their first two draft picks this year they take Trae Young and Kevin Huerter.  Their very own Splash Brothers.

Rumor mill has these two as being as close to Golden State's duo as Atlanta can get.

That leaves our two lower picks to get a center.  We haven't lost our centers - not yet.

What do you think???

• Like 3

• Premium Member
55 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

One recent rumor has the Hawks following the example of Golden State.  With their first two draft picks this year they take Trae Young and Kevin Huerter.  Their very own Splash Brothers.

Rumor mill has these two as being as close to Golden State's duo as Atlanta can get.

That leaves our two lower picks to get a center.  We haven't lost our centers - not yet.

What do you think???

I don't want Young. He has the highest bust potential of any top name in the draft. He plays no defense and when he played against better competition in college he got exposed. I hope we get Doncic/Bagley/Bamba or even JJJ before we draft Young.

7 minutes ago, Sothron said:

I don't want Young. He has the highest bust potential of any top name in the draft. He plays no defense and when he played against better competition in college he got exposed. I hope we get Doncic/Bagley/Bamba or even JJJ before we draft Young.

Sorry and I understand what you think of Young but I disagree! I believe young is not only going to bring excitement to Atlanta but he’s going to be star in the nba for years to come. I believe he will be a better version of Steve Nash as far as points go and slightly worse in terms of passing and may avg 1 more or 2 more turnovers than Nash but I believe Trae is the way to go! We need a damn scorer! 

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, JTB said:

Sorry and I understand what you think of Young but I disagree! I believe young is not only going to bring excitement to Atlanta but he’s going to be star in the nba for years to come. I believe he will be a better version of Steve Nash as far as points go and slightly worse in terms of passing and may avg 1 more or 2 more turnovers than Nash but I believe Trae is the way to go! We need a damn scorer! 

You do understand a better version of Steve Nash is saying he's going to be better than a Hall of Fame point guard?

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

You do understand a better version of Steve Nash is saying he's going to be better than a Hall of Fame point guard?

“As far as points go”....yeah I believe he’s going to be better scorer than mvp 15pts per game Steve Nash !

very very confident he will be a better scorer