• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ATL moving on up

LikejRod29

• Premium Member
We need Doncic and Mikal so my prediction from 9 months ago will be 100% right on who we draft. I’ll dig up the evidence if anyone is hatin on this!

Didn’t think so... [emoji52] 

I keep forgetting about Mikal I’d be ecstatic with drafting him with the 2nd as well. Would require moving up from 19 though..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, thecampster said:

I'm not sure you know what happened to that team this year.  Love missed 23 games, Thompson missed 30. The constant moving parts from the failed Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder experiment. Their non-Lebron core of George Hill, Kevin Love, Kyle Korver, Tristan Thompson, Jeff Green, J.R. Smith, Jordan Clarkson is more than good enough to win 30 games and avoid the top 10 picks (which is where they'd need to be to convey that pick).

I guess it’s just splitting hairs, but Kevin Love at his best only led one team to 30+ wins. You couple that with a gang of guys on the downside of their careers (Other than Rodney Hood) and no real defenders and I see them being nearly as bad as we will be.

• Admin
1 minute ago, TheFuzz said:

Eh. Maybe. I'm higher on Doncic defense than most. Young though will be a train wreck, I agree 

Doncic will play D but he is far from a great defender but yes pairing him and the non existent d from Young would be a nightmare

• Premium Member

Main problem with moving up from 19 the Hawks dont have the assets to go back into the lottery.  We have 2 bums in Bazemore and Schröder that no one wants.    This team reminds the of the past teams with Players like Koncak and Armond Hill.  

5 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don't think Young / Doncic is a good match ... neither are defenders and both are ball dominent guards.  I think if you take Doncic then you grab a big or 3-D sg like Bridges ... if we are intending to take Young (which i hope not) then you take Bamba / JJJ with 3

I cannot give out anymore likes today and I agree. If we take Doncic, a big would be in order. Another option is a less ball dominant guard. Just about any shooting guard could fit and then add in Sexton and Alexander for PG's.

I like the idea of Doncic ( 6' 8" ) and Alexander ( 6' 6" ) playing together a lot.

• Moderators
3 hours ago, capstone21 said:

Doncic will play D but he is far from a great defender but yes pairing him and the non existent d from Young would be a nightmare

If we someone have the option to get both and our GM is determined to get Young, then I am 10000% on board with getting both Doncic and Young over passing on or trading for less than a king's ransom Doncic.  Doncic can run point perfectly fine but isn't so ball dominant as Young.  If Young is truly willing to play a team game like some people say here (and I have my worries) then I'm good on the offensive end.

The defense has the potential to be brutally bad but I can live with that next year. Let them develop and show out some and if both are great offensively and bums on D then you will need to trade one.  But don't take Bamba over Doncic or something like that where the odds of drafting a bust are so much higher.

If Young gets good enough to be competent on D and Doncic does the same, the potential for something special is there with that passing (both), BBIQ (Doncic) and shooting (Young).  I have zero doubts it would be an interesting ride in the meantime no matter what and that Collins would be unleashed (assuming no black hole Young).

Now I do prefer Doncic + Jackson/Bamba over Doncic + Young for sure but again I'm assuming our management team is bound and determined to have Young.

• Like 2

• Admin
5 minutes ago, AHF said:

Now I do prefer Doncic + Jackson/Bamba over Doncic + Young for sure but again I'm assuming our management team is bound and determined to have Young.

This is the route I think we go or taking Bridges if we are trading for a second lottery  ... I just don't see how Young/Doncic works on offense or defense.  I want Doncic but I just don't think we make the mistake of adding Young with him.  There are better options for that second pick that will help this team develop over the next couple years

9 minutes ago, AHF said:

If we someone have the option to get both and our GM is determined to get Young, then I am 10000% on board with getting both Doncic and Young over passing on or trading for less than a king's ransom Doncic.  Doncic can run point perfectly fine but isn't so ball dominant as Young.  If Young is truly willing to play a team game like some people say here (and I have my worries) then I'm good on the offensive end.

The defense has the potential to be brutally bad but I can live with that next year. Let them develop and show out some and if both are great offensively and bums on D then you will need to trade one.  But don't take Bamba over Doncic or something like that where the odds of drafting a bust are so much higher.

If Young gets good enough to be competent on D and Doncic does the same, the potential for something special is there with that passing (both), BBIQ (Doncic) and shooting (Young).  I have zero doubts it would be an interesting ride in the meantime no matter what and that Collins would be unleashed (assuming no black hole Young).

Until this week only one major site, CBS, had us taking Doncic. Now that is who we take for a aggregate score. Draft night is going to be stupid with the Kings picking in front of us. It would be tumultuous to say the least if they reach for Porter Jr and we have Doncic and Bagley to choose from. Can you say "Memphis pick up the phone and send us Parsons please!"

https://hoopshype.com/2018/06/20/nba-mock-draft-consensus-top-prospects-latest-update-rumors/

I’m not going to rack my brain too hard trying to figure out tomorrow, all I know is there are players in this draft that I love such as:

Bagley, Bamba, Young,.

and then players that I like such as:

Doncic, Porter Jr, JJJ, Mikal and Miles

If we end up with one of the guys I love plus our later pick I’d be happy.

But if we moved up and still got two of the guys I like I’d be happy too.

So I’m going to let it all play out and see where we end up

46 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I cannot give out anymore likes today and I agree. If we take Doncic, a big would be in order. Another option is a less ball dominant guard. Just about any shooting guard could fit and then add in Sexton and Alexander for PG's.

I like the idea of Doncic ( 6' 8" ) and Alexander ( 6' 6" ) playing together a lot.

Yes, in a quick fix scenario, drafting Doncic and a Big makes sense.  

But, keep in mind that the Hawks will not compete in the playoffs next season.  One can argue that it would be better to build the team slowly with the best talent available.   If that best talent is a big, then draft him, but if not, go for the top quality prospect.  

There will be time to balance the team's roster.

• Like 2

Just now, ggp said:

Yes, in a quick fix scenario, drafting Doncic and a Big makes sense.  

But, keep in mind that the Hawks will not compete in the playoffs next season.  One can argue that it would be better to build the team slowly with the best talent available.   If that best talent is a big, then draft him, but if not, go for the top quality prospect.  

There will be time to balance the team's roster.

BPA is why I did not rule out less ball dominant guards. If we trade up, I hope it is for BPA. Example, give me Sexton or Alexander over Robert Williams all day.

30 minutes ago, capstone21 said:

This is the route I think we go or taking Bridges if we are trading for a second lottery  ... I just don't see how Young/Doncic works on offense or defense.  I want Doncic but I just don't think we make the mistake of adding Young with him.  There are better options for that second pick that will help this team develop over the next couple years

Two potential superstar players would be too good to pass up. Bridges could be a solid NBA player but he doesn’t have the star potential like Young...not that I’d be unhappy with him if Trae is off the board. 

7 hours ago, capstone21 said:

I don't think Young / Doncic is a good match ... neither are defenders and both are ball dominent guards.  I think if you take Doncic then you grab a big or 3-D sg like Bridges ... if we are intending to take Young (which i hope not) then you take Bamba / JJJ with 3

I actually think they’d work well together offensively. Doncic will be more of a secondary ball handler in the pros and will be at his best catching the ball after running through a screen where he can use his BBIQ and passing ability to shoot or make a play. Of course, this would be a terrible defensive line up. Doncic will adjust not be the primary ball handler on any team he goes too and is still very smart and very capable off the ball.

With Doncic's size, I'm still in the camp he could play small ball 4 for limited stints.  That would help limit some of his defensive exposure.  You'd have to get a true rim protector at some point though in the rebuild or else your toast.  

• Admin
9 minutes ago, Dragitoff said:

With Doncic's size, I'm still in the camp he could play small ball 4 for limited stints.  That would help limit some of his defensive exposure.  You'd have to get a true rim protector at some point though in the rebuild or else your toast.  

I am not remotely worried about Doncic's d ... it will be adequate ... its a combo of Doncic / Young on D.  I think that will be a mess.  I want Doncic ... I just don't want Young and Doncic.  If we take Doncic and trade back into the lottery with a second pick ... we need to use it on Bamba/JJJ or Bridges.