• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Front office versus Ownership

Vol4ever

1 minute ago, Vol4ever said:

He is not considered top 3 in the draft.....Trae Young

Agreed. That’s why trading back comes into the discussion. I was referring to Givony’s assertion that ownership wanted Doncic over Young due to “star power.” Très star power could end up higher than Luka’s. Not buying it, smokescreens.

25 minutes ago, Vol4ever said:

Looks like Ownership wants Doncic and Schlenk wants to trade down for Trea Young.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/givonys-latest-kings-doncic-porter-gilgeous-alexander.html

Crazy!

Not really. Trading down but only if we get great value. Smoke and mirrors story creation. This article seems to think that trading down for the right package is breaking news.

They are a month or so behind to say the least.

4 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

My guy goes to lunch, we talk. I need to confirm if any of these Hawk rumors are true and see what's going on around these picks. 

My guy has yet to come back from his pedicure.. @kg01 bro how much longer? 

Wait what’s that, no I won’t tell anyone you get a no polish on the mani’s either.

• Like 1

• Premium Member

My guy has said we're getting a lot of trade calls and the debate is if they believe in whoever we take at #3 enough to turn down basically any offer for them. It is the classic is this guy a four quarter player and no amount of two quarters players can make up for trading the pick. Are three two quarter players worth more than one four quarter player? That kind of thing.

He won't confirm if we keep the pick who we will take. My guess based on previous talks is Doncic would be the pick.

5 minutes ago, Sothron said:

My guy has said we're getting a lot of trade calls and the debate is if they believe in whoever we take at #3 enough to turn down basically any offer for them. It is the classic is this guy a four quarter player and no amount of two quarters players can make up for trading the pick. Are three two quarter players worth more than one four quarter player? That kind of thing.

He won't confirm if we keep the pick who we will take. My guess based on previous talks is Doncic would be the pick.

I hope they come to the understanding that no amount of quarters equal to a dollar in NBA math.

We've had a team of quarter players the last decade.  What's that got us?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Sothron said:

Seems like we are all hearing the same thing. These people I've talked to today aren't my people nor do I have much history with but everyone is saying Atlanta is keeping Doncic. Everyone. I need to find out how strong Dallas interest is in Doncic. Orlando from what they mentioned is out. They cost was too high for Doncic and they are hoping he slides to 4.

• Like 1

• Premium Member
13 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I hope they come to the understanding that no amount of quarters equal to a dollar in NBA math.

We've had a team of quarter players the last decade.  What's that got us?

There's no amount of likes I can give this post. I have been preaching this since I was a kid. My dad taught this to me. He knows. You either have a star player or you don't. No amount of non star players equals the value of just one star player.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

There's no amount of likes I can give this post. I have been preaching this since I was a kid. My dad taught this to me. He knows. You either have a star player or you don't. No amount of non star players equals the value of just one star player.

Agreed that was a deep thought from kg and he came through! Let’s keep Doncic!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sothron said:

*like*

Sorry, I gotta save the real likes for the melt(s) tonite.

• Like 1

This thread reminds me of a thread not long back about where the true power lies.  I decidedly think it obviously lies/lied with Ressler and went further to say that in almost all instances the ownership drives the bus.  It only makes sense as a GM can and will be fired at any moment.  

This is clearly to me a go for both situation.  Beyond anything else, Schlenk will no doubt be upset if Young is his guy and furthermore the 19th plus either/or 30th and 34th should get us in play for Young.  And of course, the Memphis pick seems decidedly up for grabs provided we take one of the worst contracts out there.

2 minutes ago, Jungle Jack said:

This thread reminds me of a thread not long back about where the true power lies.  I decidedly think it obviously lies/lied with Ressler and went further to say that in almost all instances the ownership drives the bus.  It only makes sense as a GM can and will be fired at any moment.  

This is clearly to me a go for both situation.  Beyond anything else, Schlenk will no doubt be upset if Young is his guy and furthermore the 19th plus either/or 30th and 34th should get us in play for Young.  And of course, the Memphis pick seems decidedly up for grabs provided we take one of the worst contracts out there.

I would say most successful organizations don't have the owner pushing for certain decisions this way.

In fact, I think the last time an owner exerted as much control as Ressler seems to be exerting was in Brooklyn when Prokorov gifted a trove of picks to BOS in a misguided attempt to show how 'in control' he was.

• Moderators

Good owners hire their GM and let them run the show.  They share views with GM but let him make the call.  If they are unhappy fire him before you undermine him.

My $.02.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nathan2331 said:
1 hour ago, Vol4ever said:
Looks like Ownership wants Doncic and Schlenk wants to trade down for Trea Young.

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/06/givonys-latest-kings-doncic-porter-gilgeous-alexander.html

Crazy!

If that's true ownership should fire Schlenk, this is ridiculous.

So they should fire him for doing his job? lol

2 minutes ago, kg01 said:

I would say most successful organizations don't have the owner pushing for certain decisions this way.

In fact, I think the last time an owner exerted as much control as Ressler seems to be exerting was in Brooklyn when Prokorov gifted a trove of picks to BOS in a misguided attempt to show how 'in control' he was.

Indeed.  I would think most GM's do the whole leading the ownership to summing up the only practical decision is the one laid out by him.  That said, drafting still is an utter crapshoot on the whole and on this decision the ramifications could not possibly be larger.

If Doncic becomes a star, that is a I shudder to think change in valuation and revenues.  Also think his "team" love the idea of him playing in the Eastern Time Zone with respect to Europe and furthermore Hartsfield being what it is.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, AHF said:

Good owners hire their GM and let them run the show.  They share views with GM but let him make the call.  If they are unhappy fire him before you undermine him.

My $.02.

The GM is there to advise.   The owner pulls the trigger.