• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

How do you rate Trae Young as a floor general??

Wurider05

59 minutes ago, Wurider05 said:

Seems that he maybe able to run a team outside of being a scorer. is that something about him that is being slept on about him? he seems to have good vision.

It's his strongest trait.  He controls the pace of the game and has the kind of vision that Steve Nash had.

1 hour ago, Wurider05 said:

Seems that he maybe able to run a team outside of being a scorer. is that something about him that is being slept on about him? he seems to have good vision.

Great vision. If Young can find some scoring inside the 3 line he'll be great. We'll have to cover for him defensively but he's a PG

3 minutes ago, NBASupes said:

Average. His passing ability and intelligence covers for his lack of advanced PG skills to a degree. He has to learn the position and I hope we take it slow with him

LOL!  Ridiculous take.  Not accurate in any way.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, EazyRoc said:

It doesn’t even make sense really.

Yeah.  It's a completely ridiculous take.  His point guard skills are elite..  His defense is trash, but his point guard skills, court vision ,passing ability, passing accuracy....etc....are all elite.

Just now, EazyRoc said:

It doesn’t even make sense really.

It's very simple. I like PGs to be able to run a multifaceted offense. Complex like Memphis, simple like OKC, or open like Golden. Young has only shown the ability to play in one system and isn't that effective at that. He really only seems to have advanced feel in PnRs. He needs to be able to run an offense, get players the best looks like a young a Mike Bibby, be able to play at different paces and tempos, be able to produce while being the coach on the floor and have a reasonably low turnover rate for the usage. That's what I want out of top tier PGs. Young does some of those things at a high level, he struggles at a number of them. That's why I said his floor is modern day Trey Burke. 

3 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Yeah.  It's a completely ridiculous take.  His point guard skills are elite..  His defense is trash, but his point guard skills, court vision ,passing ability, passing accuracy....etc....are all elite.

That's not all there is to PG play. This is why I dont like your opinions on players. You only know like 30% of the game. You can't make a consise opinion that way. 

It's like being in medical school, expecting you to know as much about anesthesia as a seasoned anesthesiologist.

1 minute ago, NBASupes said:

It's very simple. I like PGs to be able to run a multifaceted offense. Complex like Memphis, simple like OKC, or open like Golden. Young has only shown the ability to play in one system and isn't that effective at that. He really only seems to have advanced feel in PnRs. He needs to be able to run an offense, get players the best looks like a young a Mike Bibby, be able to play at different paces and tempos, be able to produce while being the coach on the floor and have a reasonably low turnover rate for the usage. That's what I want out of top tier PGs. Young does some of those things at a high level, he struggles at a number of them. That's why I said his floor is modern day Trey Burke. 

What ? He gets players good looks and play at different tempos. For all the flak he gets about turnovers, when you adjust for per 100 possession (TOV%) it puts him in line with all the other great play makers. Which confirms what I actually see when I watch. The dude can and will be a very good offensive PG.

31 minutes ago, KB21 said:

Dang it!  I'm kind of mad at myself for not thinking of this earlier, but it is worth being noted.  Lloyd Pierce was Steve Nash's teammate at Santa Clara, so you can bet that he sees some similarities there.

I made the Pierce/Nash point in a thread a few weeks ago.

• Premium Member
12 minutes ago, KB21 said:

His assist to turnover ratio (1.67) isn't though. It's actually terrible for a PG. Would rank him second to last among all PGs in the NBA last year. Not saying he doesn't have passing skills, but let's see him be a little efficient before crowning him the second coming of Nash

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atlantaholic said:

His assist to turnover ratio (1.67) isn't though. It's actually terrible for a PG. Would rank him second to last among all PGs in the NBA last year. Not saying he doesn't have passing skills, but let's see him be a little efficient before crowning him the second coming of Nash

Steve Nash had a 1.67 A:TO ratio as a senior.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, EazyRoc said:

What ? He gets players good looks and play at different tempos. For all the flak he gets about turnovers, when you adjust for per 100 possession (TOV%) it puts him in line with all the other great play makers. Which confirms what I actually see when I watch. The dude can and will be a very good offensive PG.

He gets his teammates the best looks it on occasion. Usually v. Lesser comp. V. Tough comp, he goes into his scoring bag for better or worse. 

I told you exactly how a feel and why I felt he is a boom or bust prospect. 

While Trey Burke is no where near as talented, Burke struggled and he was more advanced in the open court game at Michigan than Young. The NBA is really athletic. Especially at PG. I can only go by the film. I seen a lot of bad decisions and his finishing is an issue. I just hope we take it slow with him like the Grizzles did Conley.