Average Draft require a big building block: Capela

wolvetigers

Now that the dusk has settled, the Hawks had a slightly above average draft. Let me emphasize slightly above average

Sure Trae Young is flashy on offense, but he can't guard his own shadow. The Maryland kid is a good spot up shooter but average defender, and Omari Spellman could be a steal if he stays in shape. The best part of this draft was Travis Schlenk acquiring a future 1st rounder from Dallas to break the tie in our front office regarding the 3rd Pick. As reported, the front office was split on Trae Young vs Doncic. 

Travis took a swing for the fence and got insurance with an extra first round pick - as Hawks fans we have to be encouraged with his moves. HOWEVER, we need to make improvements, and not just to Phillips Arena.

Hawks should go after Clint Capela to anchor our defense. Sure it will cost us some money, but we definitely need some defensive help in the paint. 

5 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Now that the dusk has settled, the Hawks had a slightly above average draft. Let me emphasize slightly above average

Sure Trae Young is flashy on offense, but he can't guard his own shadow. The Maryland kid is a good spot up shooter but average defender, and Omari Spellman could be a steal if he stays in shape. The best part of this draft was Travis Schlenk acquiring a future 1st rounder from Dallas to break the tie in our front office regarding the 3rd Pick. As reported, the front office was split on Trae Young vs Doncic. 

Travis took a swing for the fence and got insurance with an extra first round pick - as Hawks fans we have to be encouraged with his moves. HOWEVER, we need to make improvements, and not just to Phillips Arena.

Hawks should go after Clint Capela to anchor our defense. Sure it will cost us some money, but we definitely need some defensive help in the paint. 

I believe Dedmon will be holding down the center spot next season for a quarter of the cost.  No need to waste that money.   Just draft one of the following next year to go with the young team the Hawks are trying to build.

1.  Daniel Gafford is at the top of my list.  I will give @KB21 full credit for putting me on to him.  This kid can be special if he puts it all together. 

2. Bol Bol - 7'2" with a GREAT offensive game for someone his size.  

3. Charles Bassey - Has a well rounded offesnive game and is good on the defensive side of the ball.  I believe the Hawks will have two lottery picks next year so one of these guys with be there for the taking.

I also hope the get Cameron Reddish.  He has a very smooth offensive game and he's huge for a SG/SF.

14 hours ago, marco102 said:

I believe Dedmon will be holding down the center spot next season for a quarter of the cost.  No need to waste that money.   Just draft one of the following next year to go with the young team the Hawks are trying to build.

1.  Daniel Gafford is at the top of my list.  I will give @KB21 full credit for putting me on to him.  This kid can be special if he puts it all together. 

2. Bol Bol - 7'2" with a GREAT offensive game for someone his size.  

3. Charles Bassey - Has a well rounded offesnive game and is good on the defensive side of the ball.  I believe the Hawks will have two lottery picks next year so one of these guys with be there for the taking.

I also hope the get Cameron Reddish.  He has a very smooth offensive game and he's huge for a SG/SF.

Now if you are in the market for waiting 3 to 4 years of losing only to hope that one of these unproven players become special is foolish. 

We have already done this remember? It's time to change the mindset in Atlanta and aim to be competitive. Sure it may require overpaying, but it is the risk we should take. I applaud Travis for making the gutsy move (Trae Young trade), b/c it gave us an extra draft pick next year, but praying on the draft will keep us in mediocrity. 

But keep this in mind, no real competitor likes to lose....and we will start developing players only to watch them leave.  

14 hours ago, Gray Mule said:

SLIGHTLY ABOVE AVERAGE for the Hawks means that, starting at #3, they did well.  getting that "extra" 1st round pick was a very good move.  If Docic does well, Hawks gets the pick and if he doesn't, we dodged a bullet.  Either way, we are a winner.

Hawks got three rookies, all of which they wanted.  Not bad.  Not bad at all.

:laugh:

Ok b/c Travis tells you we got the players we wanted and you believe him?  Similar to Billy Knight saying we got the players we want aka Shelden Williams, Josh Childress, Acie Law, etc..  Remember that?

This draft didnt give us a true super star, it gave us solid players with glaring weaknesses. We need to plug some defensive holes and Capela would anchor our defense for atleast the next 3 to 4 years. 

• Premium Member
9 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

This draft didnt give us a true super star, it gave us solid players with glaring weaknesses. We need to plug some defensive holes and Capela would anchor our defense for atleast the next 3 to 4 years. 

Let me try to understand your logic...So you feel that this draft didn't yield any superstars so we should sign Capela to anchor the defense.  What would that accomplish?  You still need the superstar right?  You are not implying that Capela is a superstar are you?

7 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Ok b/c Travis tells you we got the players we wanted and you believe him?  Similar to Billy Knight saying we got the players we want aka Shelden Williams, Josh Childress, Acie Law, etc..  Remember that?

How can you can claim we didn’t land any superstar players in the draft when they haven’t any taken to floor yet? 

• Like 4

Just now, Peoriabird said:

Let me try to understand your logic...So you feel that this draft didn't yield any superstars so we should sign Capela to anchor the defense.  What would that accomplish?  You still need the superstar right?

Let me provide more clarity.

What I'm saying is we shouldnt solely rely on the draft. We need to show that we are committed to winning, by spending money strategically to build. Capela is a good center that demonstrated his talent in the NBA Western Conference Finals.

He is athletic and can guard multiple positions...He actually would be great to have to assist with our defensive deficiencies.

Now adding him with solid coaching should net us 10 more wins..but it will bring us closer to that 50win team in a couple of years. 

1 minute ago, GThawks3 said:

I really think Collins fits best as a small 5. Plus Rockets are gonna match any deal to retain Capela.

I agree on both points; we don't need Capella and Collins is a solid small ball 5. Unless we get a chance to get a superstar in free agency we need to be frugal and do something similar to last season. Two or three small deals to fill the roster; and let the season play out.

I mentioned MCW as a good choice as a BU PG. He gets a 2nd chance on a short contract to make good on his once highly thought of upside. We get a BU who is at least serviceable, especially on defense, as we sort through the season with Dennis and Trae.

5 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

How can you can claim we didn’t land any superstar players in the draft when they haven’t any taken to floor yet? 

Based on the information scouts, analyst have at this moment - we dont. Now if we are lucky they turn in to stars then the Hawks have finally broke it's draft curse. 

• Premium Member
5 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

Let me provide more clarity.

What I'm saying is we shouldnt solely rely on the draft. We need to show that we are committed to winning, by spending money strategically to build. Capela is a good center that demonstrated his talent in the NBA Western Conference Finals.

He is athletic and can guard multiple positions...He actually would be great to have to assist with our defensive deficiencies.

Now adding him with solid coaching should net us 10 more wins..but it will bring us closer to that 50win team in a couple of years. 

Correct me if I'm wrong but Golden state uses inexpensive bum centers to do the exact same thing that Capela does so why spend money on a limited player like Capela?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

I agree on both points; we don't need Capella and Collins is a solid small ball 5. Unless we get a chance to get a superstar in free agency we need to be frugal and do something similar to last season. Two or three small deals to fill the roster; and let the season play out.

I mentioned MCW as a good choice as a BU PG. He gets a 2nd chance on a short contract to make good on his once highly thought of upside. We get a BU who is at least serviceable, especially on defense, as we sort through the season with Dennis and Trae.

If we don't make a commitment to bringing in talent, our existing talent will either leave or force us into bad contracts to keep them. 

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

Correct me if I'm wrong but Golden state uses inexpensive bum centers to do the exact same thing that Capela does so why spend money on a limited player like Capela?

My bad...the Hawks will be Golden State in a few years...I totally missed that. My bad..  smdh

Yep.  "They" got the draft picks that "they" wanted.  Did they do everything right?  We don't know.  They don't know themselves.  All they and we can do is wait and see.  They think they did it right.  They have to know that it will be necessary to develop these young men.

All we can do is hope that they know what they are doing.  They are the builders and we hope and trust that they have the proper materials to do the job correctly.  Hawks are building.  We all hope it's a championship when it's finished, sometime in the near future.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

13 minutes ago, Buzzard said:

Yep. Rockets were using PJ Tucker a lot at Centsr in the WCF. Collins + Capela  would get clogged in the playoffs. Another reason I didn’t want JJJ/Bamba.

• Premium Member
3 minutes ago, Gray Mule said:

Yep.  "They" got the draft picks that "they" wanted.  Did they do everything right?  We don't know.  They don't know themselves.  All they and we can do is wait and see.  They think they did it right.  They have to know that it will be necessary to develop these young men.

All we can do is hope that they know what they are doing.  They are the builders and we hope and trust that they have the proper materials to do the job correctly.  Hawks are building.  We all hope it's a championship when it's finished, sometime in the near future.

GO ATL HAWKS !!

You know the drill by now.

Hawks sign a GM  He sucks and has no eye for talent and will lose every deal

Hawks Sign a coach...He been coaching for 10 plus years but since he was in charge of the sixer's defense, he know nothing about complicated NBA offenses.  He is short term here anyway until we find a real coach.

Hawks draft....None of them can play defense and definitely will not be stars so sign Capela

Free agency...No one wants to come here

25 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

I really think Collins fits best as a small 5. Plus Rockets are gonna match any deal to retain Capela.

I rather keep Collins at the 4, but he does have a post game (at least in college) and help defense ability.

But the league is starting to go back big again. I would only play him there sparingly. Too risky of foul trouble and getting exposed. Huge drop off with our backup.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Peoriabird said:

You know the drill by now.

Hawks sign a GM  He sucks and has no eye for talent and will lose every deal

Hawks Sign a coach...He been coaching for 10 plus years but since he was in charge of the sixer's defense, he know nothing about complicated NBA offenses.  He is short term here anyway until we find a real coach.

Hawks draft....None of them can play defense and definitely will not be stars so sign Capela

Free agency...No one wants to come here

Love the sarcasm but that last one is true about free agency! Lol

but it’s true cap space or not no one wants to come to Atlanta. Not any top free agents anyways.

• Premium Member
Just now, JTB said:

Love the sarcasm but that last one is true about free agency! Lol

but it’s true cap space or not no one wants to come to Atlanta. Not any top free agents anyways.

If no one wants to come here then how do we sign Capela?  LOL!