• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Average Draft require a big building block: Capela

wolvetigers

1 minute ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you think this draft didn't give us that superstar player, then it's even more fool hardy to spend big bucks on a center with limited offensive talents as great as a defender/rebounder that he is.

Eggsactly.  I agree that free agency shld be a route that's available to us, in addition to the draft.  However, as if right now, it just isn't.  If we handle draft/trade phases effectively,  the free agency leg will open for us.

Takes patience.

41 minutes ago, JayBirdHawk said:

If you think this draft didn't give us that superstar player, then it's even more fool hardy to spend big bucks on a center with limited offensive talents as great as a defender/rebounder that he is.

What I'm saying is we can't stay in a perpetual state of mediocrity. I'm saying we should build through the draft and with FA signings, specifically those with rising star potential. Now if you know of a big man that plays defense and can guard the perimeter then by all means show me. Unfortunately, no good free agent wants to come here, so we have to overpay for him....Agree with Billy Knight or not, he knew this when he got Joe Johnson; he paid too steep of a price in my opinion, but we have to pay to play guys OR hope that we get lucky drafting 3 SuperStars like the Golden State Warriors.

But one thing that losing organizations do is focus on what is missing and not on what is infront of them.

For Example: Hardaway - made tremendous strides and could of solidified our SG spot for 5 years, however many Hawks fans and including Bud thought it was too much too spend. So where are we now. Starting from scratch looking for a SG and hoping he can produce what Hardaway did but to only dream of getting him cheaper.  

I keep telling people the hardest thing in sports is to be an Atlanta Sports Fan...smdh

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

What I'm saying is we can't stay in a perpetual state of mediocrity. I'm saying we should build through the draft and with FA signings, specifically those with rising star potential. Now if you know of a big man that plays defense and can guard the perimeter then by all means show me. Unfortunately, no good free agent wants to come here, so we have to overpay for him....Agree with Billy Knight or not, he knew this when he got Joe Johnson; he paid too steep of a price in my opinion, but we have to pay to play guys OR hope that we get lucky drafting 3 SuperStars like the Golden State Warriors.

But one thing that losing organizations do is focus on what is missing and not on what is infront of them.

For Example: Hardaway - made tremendous strides and could of solidified our SG spot for 5 years, however many Hawks fans and including Bud thought it was too much too spend. So where are we now. Starting from scratch looking for a SG and hoping he can produce what Hardaway did but to only dream of getting him cheaper.  

I keep telling people the hardest thing in sports is to be an Atlanta Sports Fan...smdh

So you are arguing that Capela would elevate the Hawks from mediocrity???:blink:

• Premium Member
37 minutes ago, wolvetigers said:

We have just started our rebuild through the draft. This is not the year to sign a limited player to a max deal.

Stuck with Baze and Hardaway at SH at $30+ million of your salary cap is financial suicide.

3 hours ago, JCDBaptist said:

I rather keep Collins at the 4, but he does have a post game (at least in college) and help defense ability.

But the league is starting to go back big again. I would only play him there sparingly. Too risky of foul trouble and getting exposed. Huge drop off with our backup.

I thought it was the exact opposite? Rockets had PJ Tucker playing Center in the playoffs a lot. Rockets started Ryan Anderson or Tucker at PF, Warriors started Durant at PF and Draymond at Center. 6’10 Capela starts at Center for Rockets...Warriors had 6’9 Jordan Bell at Center coming off the bench. Cavs had 6’9 Tristan Thompson at Center. 

Collins is the perfect Center in today’s game. Putting another big Center next to him would get exposed in the playoffs. Thank god we didn’t waste a high pick on JJJ or Bamba.

• Premium Member
1 minute ago, GThawks3 said:

Collins is the perfect Center in today’s game. Putting another big Center next to him would get exposed in the playoffs. Thank god we didn’t waste a high pick on JJJ or Bamba.

I actually think that Spellman is the prototypical center more than Collins.  He posses more defensive skill and is a better shooter.

2 minutes ago, Peoriabird said:

I actually think that Spellman is the prototypical center more than Collins.  He posses more defensive skill and is a better shooter.

I like him a lot too. At worst I feel like he’s going be a really good big off the  bench. 

• Premium Member
2 minutes ago, GThawks3 said:

I like him a lot too. At worst I feel like he’s going be a really good big off the  bench. 

Bleecher report project his long term projections is a starting center.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2780627-omari-spellman-nba-draft-2018-scouting-report-for-atlanta-hawks-pick

3 hours ago, wolvetigers said:

If we don't make a commitment to bringing in talent, our existing talent will either leave or force us into bad contracts to keep them. 

My bad...the Hawks will be Golden State in a few years...I totally missed that. My bad..  smdh

So two days after a draft you expect a GM to consider his draft only slightly above average and go sign players for two or three times as much as what he his paying last seasons starters. I would wager a good chunk of change that no GM who drafted in the top six this week, considers their pick, or draft as a whole, only slightly above average.

The draft is how you bring in talent to start rebuilding. Once you know who your stars/starters will be and who your weakest links are one or two years down the line; then you may chase a slightly above average player like Capella to fill a hole. On the other hand, if your team and cap looks good enough over that span, it would be better to have the cap ready to attract a well above average ( all-star ) free agent.

Capella is not a star. We have those types of players on our team already. Lets see if we have a star at C, PF, PG, or SG ( Collins, Spellman, Young, Huerter ) before we go over spending for non stars.

• Like 1

• Moderators
On 6/24/2018 at 8:40 AM, wolvetigers said:

Hardaway was in  no way worth that deal.  The next playoff game where he is a positive on the floor will be his first.  

Why would anyone be pining for his 31.7% 3pt%?  I didn't miss it.